Forums are back in action! ×

Am I nerdy enough? =)

Well, I've never been a gamer, and I have never even watched Star Wars (I know, I know), but I've been called a nerd my entire life, so I'm just going to settle in here nonetheless. 

So... my story...

I really don't ever remember feeling skinny.  I was an early bloomer, so I've always felt very self-conscious about my body.  I was always the smartest kid in class, so no one expected me to try a sport or be active in any way.  I remember that I was 175 in high school, and 230 by the time I got married.  Three kids later and I was flirting with 300 lbs.  I have been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and my doctor wants my cholesterol much lower (but it's technically not high - just a precaution because of risk factors).  I have a family history of just about everything you can imagine.  But still.... I just couldn't find the motivation to lose weight.  I work a very sedentary job, and have very sedentary hobbies... mostly crocheting (THAT kind of hooker). 

It got to the point that I didn't want to see people or go out unless I had to.  I'd have old friends come to town and just find some stupid excuse to not meet up with them because I felt like they would just look at me and be disgusted.  I hate eating in front of people... I feel like they're judging every thing I put in my mouth.  My day would revolve around food, and I would just binge whenever I could. 

Then, last spring, my sister (who has lost 75 lbs) asked me to go to yoga with her and something finally clicked.  I started working out and watching what I ate.  I did have a goal of getting down to 230 lbs by my 37th birthday (this past December), but I fell short. However, I'm now down to 245 lbs, and ready to get really serious. 

Yes, I want to be healthy.  Yes, I want to be thin.  But more than anything, I just want to be a bad ass and do everything I never thought I ever could. 

I switched my entire family to Paleo this week.  I'm training to walk a half-marathon in 6 weeks.  I'm in the middle of Turbo Jam.  I have so many things I can't wait to do.  I'm looking forward to meeting people here and having fun!

You're here, and that makes you nerdy enough.  I crochet (and knit and needlepoint and...).  Good for you making the big turnaround.  You've already made a lot of progress, so I know you're going to reach your goals...speaking of which, feel free to join the current challenge.  It already started, but you've got four weeks left.  That's time to make some friends on the challenge thread and build up your good habits.  If you need any help, give a shout. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived