Forums are back in action! ×

Hello new friends! :)

Hi, I am Marybelle! I'm 25, married, and spend way too much time with my books and my dog. Confession: I wasn't really nerdy at all (barring my love for books, especially Tolkien and Harry Potter) until I met my then boyfriend now husband. Since then I have played WoW, Dominion, DnD, Warmachine, various board games and Magic. I think Magic has been my favorite, I enjoy the strategy that goes into a good game.  I used to be a fairly athletic person, a big hiker, swimmer,into horses and involved with stuff in school.  However, the last two years have been really difficult for me due to a traumatic incident and having resulting PTSD. I started not leaving my house, and not doing the things I used to really enjoy. As a result I gained a lot of weight quickly, and have been struggling to lose it. 

Around December last year I realized I was very out of shape, and couldn't fit into any of my old clothes (which is the worst!). I also had another realization that helped me stay committed to losing weight. I have always used my looks as a defense. I wasn't always concerned with getting fit to be a better me, but rather to be liked, fit in, have a boyfriend. And when I gained the weight it was a good excuse for me not to go out, not to meet new people, or be involved in society in a good way. I have always been really social and outgoing, and gaining weight during a particularly hard period of my life was the excuse I needed to give in to my depression and fears. I had always done everything for someone else, never for myself. So on December 8th, I took up a dressmaker's tape, and got to measuring. I didn't like what I saw so I made an excel spread sheet and committed to working out a plan of action, and to measuring myself every week whether I felt I had progressed or not. I decided I was going to get fit, and do things I love to do (like kayaking, swimming, mountain biking, and hiking). And this time it was for me, not anyone else. If people like me, great. If not, someone else will, but at least I will like myself. 

At first I started just eating a little healthier, and doing the beginning body weight strength program offered here. Last week my husband and I made the decision to go paleo. He joined the army, and is going to BCT in April and wants to build up muscle, so he was all for it. We have one cheat day a week where we can eat what we want in moderation, but the rest of the time is paleo.  I also signed up for a karate class at school, which is really fun. I think after it is over I am going to sign up for another martial arts class. I also am doing some stationary biking at the gym at school, but we plan on buying bikes for trail riding. I used to love doing it when I was younger, and I am really looking forward to it. 

I last measured myself on the 19th of January and so far I have lost 4.75 inches off my bust, 4 inches off my waist, and three inches off my hips. I was amazed at the progress, since I haven't been hungry, or felt like I was exercising to death. It is so true that small changes make a big difference. 

My husband is graduating basic training in June, I am graduating college in May, and my sister-in-law is getting married in July, so I have a lot of things coming up that are important to me. My goal is to have measurements of 38-28-39 (my normal measurements) by June, which is pretty attainable, I think. I am not weighing, just doing the measurements for now. I also have a goal of strength training 3 days a week, and doing some cardio at the gym 2 days a week (biking). My third goal is to stay faithful to the paleo diet excluding my built in cheat day per week. 

Most of my friends don't work out or go to the gym. They also binge on ice cream and sweets more than anyone should, and drink a fair deal. Several times I have been on the way to the gym and they have tried to talk me out of it to hang out with them instead. I am looking for friends here who will be supportive, and who understand the challenge of trying to become healthier as not just a diet but a lifestyle. I am excited to meet new people, and here's to our success! (because we are awesome, of course!)
Hi, I am Marybelle! I'm 25, married, and spend way too much time with my books and my dog. Confession: I wasn't really nerdy at all (barring my love for books, especially Tolkien and Harry Potter) until I met my then boyfriend now husband. Since then I have played WoW, Dominion, DnD, Warmachine, various board games and Magic. I think Magic has been my favorite, I enjoy the strategy that goes into a good game.  I used to be a fairly athletic person, a big hiker, swimmer,into horses and involved with stuff in school.  However, the last two years have been really difficult for me due to a traumatic incident and having resulting PTSD. I started not leaving my house, and not doing the things I used to really enjoy. As a result I gained a lot of weight quickly, and have been struggling to lose it. 

Around December last year I realized I was very out of shape, and couldn't fit into any of my old clothes (which is the worst!). I also had another realization that helped me stay committed to losing weight. I have always used my looks as a defense. I wasn't always concerned with getting fit to be a better me, but rather to be liked, fit in, have a boyfriend. And when I gained the weight it was a good excuse for me not to go out, not to meet new people, or be involved in society in a good way. I have always been really social and outgoing, and gaining weight during a particularly hard period of my life was the excuse I needed to give in to my depression and fears. I had always done everything for someone else, never for myself. So on December 8th, I took up a dressmaker's tape, and got to measuring. I didn't like what I saw so I made an excel spread sheet and committed to working out a plan of action, and to measuring myself every week whether I felt I had progressed or not. I decided I was going to get fit, and do things I love to do (like kayaking, swimming, mountain biking, and hiking). And this time it was for me, not anyone else. If people like me, great. If not, someone else will, but at least I will like myself. 

At first I started just eating a little healthier, and doing the beginning body weight strength program offered here. Last week my husband and I made the decision to go paleo. He joined the army, and is going to BCT in April and wants to build up muscle, so he was all for it. We have one cheat day a week where we can eat what we want in moderation, but the rest of the time is paleo.  I also signed up for a karate class at school, which is really fun. I think after it is over I am going to sign up for another martial arts class. I also am doing some stationary biking at the gym at school, but we plan on buying bikes for trail riding. I used to love doing it when I was younger, and I am really looking forward to it. 

I last measured myself on the 19th of January and so far I have lost 4.75 inches off my bust, 4 inches off my waist, and three inches off my hips. I was amazed at the progress, since I haven't been hungry, or felt like I was exercising to death. It is so true that small changes make a big difference. 

My husband is graduating basic training in June, I am graduating college in May, and my sister-in-law is getting married in July, so I have a lot of things coming up that are important to me. My goal is to have measurements of 38-28-39 (my normal measurements) by June, which is pretty attainable, I think. I am not weighing, just doing the measurements for now. I also have a goal of strength training 3 days a week, and doing some cardio at the gym 2 days a week (biking). My third goal is to stay faithful to the paleo diet excluding my built in cheat day per week. 

Most of my friends don't work out or go to the gym. They also binge on ice cream and sweets more than anyone should, and drink a fair deal. Several times I have been on the way to the gym and they have tried to talk me out of it to hang out with them instead. I am looking for friends here who will be supportive, and who understand the challenge of trying to become healthier as not just a diet but a lifestyle. I am excited to meet new people, and here's to our success! (because we are awesome, of course!)

Hello Marybelle, and welcome! That is amazing progress you have made so far, congratulations and I hope you continue to have as much success in your future goals. It's great you have a couple of activities that you really enjoy doing, that's one of the key things I think. :) Even if your friends aren't very encouraging of your goals, I think you'll find being here very motivating. I only got started a few hours ago and am already pretty encouraged by the supportive people here. Good luck!

Level 2 Gnome adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 5|CON 8|WIS 11|CHA 3

Challenge 2

Hello Marybelle, and welcome! That is amazing progress you have made so far, congratulations and I hope you continue to have as much success in your future goals. It's great you have a couple of activities that you really enjoy doing, that's one of the key things I think. :) Even if your friends aren't very encouraging of your goals, I think you'll find being here very motivating. I only got started a few hours ago and am already pretty encouraged by the supportive people here. Good luck!

Thanks! Everyone does seem very friendly here, which is awesome! I think the main reason I had a lot of progress in the first month is I cut sugar drinks from my diet. No more apple juice or delicious sweet tea (makes me a little sad, but I can deal). Now I only drink sweet tea out on my cheat day. If progress slows down, thats ok, I know if I stick to my plans it will come eventually. And luckily I had a mom who was a free spirited outdoorsy type growing up so we did a lot of hiking and biking. So thanks, mom! :)

Welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Thanks for the welcome!

Hello Marybelle :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! It's great that you decided to take steps in the direction of a healthier life. Paleo is awesome, for me it completely changed not only how I approach each day, it also made me be far more energetic. Since I made the switch to eating healthy I get up every day with a big smile on my face and enough energy to overcome any challenge live throws at me. 

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Good for you! Kick butt and take names, girl :-)

Right back atcha, sister!

Hello Marybelle :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! It's great that you decided to take steps in the direction of a healthier life. Paleo is awesome, for me it completely changed not only how I approach each day, it also made me be far more energetic. Since I made the switch to eating healthy I get up every day with a big smile on my face and enough energy to overcome any challenge live throws at me. 

That is what I am thinking will happen. I think I am in the withdrawal phase, as I feel like I might do many unethical things for a loaf of bread. However, I think as long as I can get through the next few weeks, it will become easier. I am compensating by eating some delicious fish with a homemade mango salsa (really just cut up veggies with mango, but salsa sounds fancier). Your enthusiasm for the paleo lifestyle is encouraging. Thank you!

You're very welcome :)

I too, had a hard time without bread in the beginning, but I found some paleo confrom recipes to make my own (mostly coconut flour) bread. Still tinkering with it to give it the deliciousness I'm used to, but a gread addition to my breakfast nontheless!

Level 4 Human Ranger

You're very welcome :)

I too, had a hard time without bread in the beginning, but I found some paleo confrom recipes to make my own (mostly coconut flour) bread. Still tinkering with it to give it the deliciousness I'm used to, but a gread addition to my breakfast nontheless!

Would you mind sending me your recipe, if it isn't too much trouble? There is a great world market/farmers market near where I live that sells every kind of flour. I am used to making bread since before paleo I made my own to use during the week. 

Would you mind sending me your recipe, if it isn't too much trouble? There is a great world market/farmers market near where I live that sells every kind of flour. I am used to making bread since before paleo I made my own to use during the week. 

Well there's lots on the internet. The one I made so far was this 

ingredients

3/4 cup coconut flour

1/2 cup ghee (plus extra for greasing the pan) 

6 eggs

up to 2 tbsp honey

1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt

instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine coconut flour, ghee, eggs, honey and 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt together.

Mix all the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste with no clumps.

Grease a loaf pan.

Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.

I replaced the ghee with with olive oil. Gave the whole thing kind of a green tint, but I was not sure whether ghee was paleo conform, especially since I only found that with added non-paleo supplements in the super market.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Archived