Forums are back in action! ×

Sketchy Intro-Slaying the Jabberwock

I’m finally writing an introduction on here. I’ve been reading the main articles here for maybe a month or two now on and off.  The philosophy on diet and exercise really drew me in (especially the idea of working out being fun) and convinced me to join the site in December.  I meant to write an intro and start to try and turn my life around then but chickened out when it came time to post it.

I’m hoping to make up for my cowardice now.

Anywho, I’m Sketches.  I’m a 24 year old girl currently going to college for something that has yet to be completely determined. I really have no idea what I want to do and that’s part of the reason I’m here.  My indecisiveness isn’t just limited to my education but has bled into almost every area of my life.  I feel like I’ve lost the ability to focus and make/keep commitments to myself.  One of my long term goals is to change from being indecisive and weak willed to being dedicated and focused.  Starting with this post.

I see a lot of posts on here purely focused on improving physical health (which is also something I hope to do) so, I hope that I’m not completely off on wanting to focus on something other than that first on here.  I guess in game terms I’m more interested in putting my first few points in to Will before tackling Strength or Agility.  So, I feel like my first goals might be a little wimpy to start but I hope to make it past them to some of my more ambitious ones.  I hope to have the opportunity to meet and be inspired by you all!

Thank you and may all your loot be epic.

Goals for week 1:

-Buy workout shoes

-Only eat sugar 4/7 days instead of 7/7

-Wake up and stay up at 8am at least 3/5 days

-Have at least 1 full Paleo meal a day

Long term goals:

-Start rock climbing again

-Get back onto Paleo at least 80% of the time

-Be in good enough shape to outrun a zombie hoard

Sketches

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR: 2  |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 1  |  CON: 4  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 2

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."  ~ C S Lewis

Hey Sketches, good to see you introduce youself at last! I did the same as you - signed up a while ago and chickened out of posting. You're here now though and that's a great step forward. I think your goals are great and achievable, you need to start small just changing little habits and then work your way up to bigger challenges, just keep progressing. We're all here for something different, so you have to do what is right for you. Hope to see you in the adventurer forum! :)

Level 2 Gnome adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 5|CON 8|WIS 11|CHA 3

Challenge 2

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that hesitated posting! Thank you JustAStudent. Thank you also for the peace of mind about my goals. I was a little nervous that they may seem off or out of place.  Truth be told, I'm trying to learn how to make smart goals like one of the articles talks about.  I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew when it comes to goals and I'm trying to come up with things that are specific, measurable, and attainable.  Hopefully I can get better at this. :redface-new:

Hope to see you in the adventurer forum as well! I need to look around in there and see what's what.

Thank you Laureleye for letting me know about the challenges! I wasn't sure if I could start this far into one.  I'll look more into it and try to come up with some goals for the adventurer one.

Sketches

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Hello Sketches :)

Great that you found your way here, Welcome to the Rebellion!

Most people here are really friendly and glad to help you, there's absolutely no reason to be shy about posting here. And nothing says accountibility like yelling (or rather typing) your goals in a Room full of people (or message board). Ok it was a weak metaphor, but what I want to say is, the more people you tell about it, the higher are your chances of success. Well done, for taking a first step in the right direction. Best of luck with reaching your goals!

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Hi, Sketches! First off, I'd like to say your avatar and username combo put a smile on my face. 'Daaaaw! :)

I’m a 24 year old girl currently going to college for something that has yet to be completely determined. I really have no idea what I want to do and that’s part of the reason I’m here.

It's really funny... I graduated High School last year, and it seemed all my peers knew what they wanted from their lives. They all rushed off to college, got apprenticeships, got successes. Me? I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I wasn't ready to become an adult, and that scared me.

A couple months later, I changed my diet. Another couple months, I found NF's beginner bodyweight circuit.

Now I find myself excitedly reading about a local college with a major in Nutrition and Kinesiology. Funny how that worked out!

If NF is helping me get on track, I know it can help you too. I'll keep an eye out for your challenge thread! :)

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Hi ya Rhyme! Thank you for the compliments and the encouragement!  Hopefully I can find a degree I like and stick to it. I'm really getting sick of being stuck in school and feeling like I'm spinning my wheels.

I'm happy to hear that you found what you want to do. You should be a master of fitness/health with that combo!  Good luck with the program if you're already in it. :) 

Sketches

Level 1 Human Adventurer

No fear. I am 34 and still not sure where my life wants to go. That isn't entirely true. I know, I have just never had the confidence to try and achieve it. Always feeling like you're not good enough to do what you want to do. Should you feel the same, just go for it. If you really don't know then maybe dont be in school right now. There is no rule saying you have to decide your life, you could just let it come and be inspired later.

Here's to finding your muse in Nerd Fitness!!

Changeling Warrior

STR-6

DEX-0

STA-0

CON-6

WIS-3

CHA-0

Hey Sketches,

Love the C.S. Lewis quote, where is that from?

Anyways with the college thing, take time and think about it. I've had a lot of friends that wanted to do something (I'm going to pick on the writers for a minute), spent 4 years gettting writing degrees, then end up working labor jobs.

Think about what you enjoy doing, as life should be fun, not work. Then move towards it.

Hope to see you around more.

Level 2 - Goliath Ranger

STR - 3   DEX - 1 STA - 3.5

CON - 5.5    WIS - 6    CHA - 2

"There is one quality which one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose; the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it." -Napoleon Hill

Thanks Maxtrong and QuelThelos!  I'm still trying to figure out what I'd think of as fun that would make money too. I mean searching the internet is fun and video games are fun.  I enjoy drawing also but when I went for art as a possible career it changed to being not fun anymore so I know that is not an option as of right now.  Hopefully I'll find something.  I've been looking into Rad Tech (x-ray person) as a possibility but have sorta hesitated about pursuing it since I found out that I'd have to be able to handle being in surgery.  I'm not sure I can do that.  I don't know, If I could get past that, then I think I'd love it.

I've also thought about computer science but I'm terrible at math.  Anywho, thank you for the encouragement! :)

Also, QuelThelos, I think that the C.S. Lewis quote is from Mere Christianity but I'm not positive. I've always loved it though. :)

Sketches

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Archived