Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings

Hello All,

I found this site totally by accident. I was feeling stressed and googled "stressed out" and somehow happened upon this site. I love RPGs, fantasy, and sci-fi and need to start taking better care of myself by eating right and exercising....lo and behold this site sounds like it can make working towards my goals fun...pick a class..level up...I'm totally in.:)

So for my starting stats, I guess I would be a hobbit, adventurer.

I am 5'0 and about 120 lbs. I slowly gained some weight the past couple of months. Last year I was eating healthy and working out regularly, but had some up and downs and am now totally weak and unhealthy.

I normally only eat about 2 meals a day, drink 5 cans of diet pepsi a day, have not worked out, and to top it off am a heavy smoker......and I am a nurse (or should I say Cleric/Healer) which makes it even worse............In addition I was working 3 jobs.....have cut down to 2 jobs and am ready to make time to take care of myself. During the week I work a home care job so I am driving a lot of the day. I also work in a hospital 12 hour shifts, so am on my feet ..but 12 hour shifts can make it hard to feel motivated to cook and exercise. I am tired of feeling tired all the time. I want to feel better so I can make more time for my family and my fiancee.

My goals to start off are small.  I would love to join the next challenge when it becomes avaliable. I am hoping that this site helps to keep me motivated.

My goals for this week are as follows

1. Eat breakfast every day (this is hard for me, because I hate eating in the morning)

2.Stop drinking diet soda (I am just going to go cold turkey on this)

3. Keep track of cigarette consumption and begin to cut back

4. Do some strength training 3x a week.

So for today, I already met one of my goals..yay...I ate breakfast ...2 hardboiled eggs, half cup of oatmeal, and some green tea in place of the diet soda. I mostly drink diet soda because of the caffeine so I want to replace that with tea and water. Eventually,  I'd like to go full Paleo, but am starting off small.

Any advice, comments, or suggestions are greatly welcomed. I hoping that by posting I am keeping myself accountable.

Thanks

Sylvanas

Level 1 Adventurer Hobbit

Hi Sylvanas :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! It's great that you decided to start stepping towards a healthier life! 

Your goals sound a lot like what I've been doing for a while here now, so maybe I can help you with some advice.

Breakfast is the MOST IMPORTANT meal of the day. You probably heard this before, but its actually true. Until a couple Months ago I hadn't eaten breakfast in a looong time, but since I started doing it, and by subsequently changing my diet to 100% paleo, I have way more energy every day, and also more motivation to do things. I recommend eggs/fruits/vegetables.

Cold turkey soda is a good idea. Water is the best thing you can drink, if you manage to only drink water for 30 days, you will improve your health by a lot. Best part about the water is that it's really cheap and tastes GREAT.

I am currently trying to cut back on cigarettes myself, but I realize that for me the only way to get rid of them is quit ONCE and for ALL, so that is gonna happen in about 13 days. I'm spending the last 2 weeks of my smoking life slowly accustoming my body to less and less nicotine. 

I wish you the best of luck with accomplishing your gaols! May your journey be easy and successfull. Everybody I met here so far has been really supportive and kind, it's a great community :)

sorry 'bout this gettin' so long, turns out I had a lot to say.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Starting off small is a great idea.  I have never been a good morning eater either; I now eat a light breakfast and then a snack a couple of hours later. 

If you haven't decided on your strength training, the beginner's body weight workout (BBWW) is a good starting point; you'll find it on the Free Resources if you click the NERD FITNESS tab.  I also think a light walk the day after your strength training is a good idea; it helps take out any kinks. 

Feel free to join the challenge, even though it is in progress.  You'll get a short "practice run" before the next one starts at the end of February. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I did well today,,,no diet soda and I also did my strength training as soon as I came home from work. I am not able to do any pushups.....so I just did them on my knees. I really hope to eventually be able to do a full push up.

I made sure to eat lunch today-hard boiled egg, some grapes, and 3 apple slices.

After my workout, I was hungry so I had some celery with peanutbutter. I am going to have some steak, and mixed veggies for dinner tonight. I may or may not have some brown rice with it it. I also drank a ton of water throughout the day.

The smoking-----am just keeping track of how much I smoke this week-then next week I will start up cuttig back. Substix-if you have any advice on the quitting process it would be greatly welcome.

I am going to join the current challenge and I make a new theard there.

Thanks again for the support:)

Level 1 Adventurer Hobbit

Archived