Forums are back in action! ×

Game of Thrones

7 books are the current plan actually Katariana, but hopefully he sticks to it.  At this point he has to keep moving or the show will catch up.  Enough happens in later books that they could easily split later books into 2 seasons like they are doing w/season 3 and 4 of the TV show.  Also, the 5 and 6 year gap is a more recent thing.  The first 3 books were 96, 99, 2000.  Then it was 2005 and 2011 for the next 2.  Part of the massive delay was that he had originally planned to do a 5 year jump ahead in the timeline and backfill info for people, but after getting pretty far w/that idea he scrapped it all and then ended up splitting the characters like he did. 

Currently the TV show doesn't plan to split any other books into multiple seasons and they will reconstitute AFFC and ADWD into one book and tell it all chronologcally over 2 seasons.  So, given that, this would give us the following schedule.

2013 Season 3: Storm of Swords Pt 1

2014 Season 4: Storm of Swords Pt 4

2015 Season 5: Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons Pt 1

2016 Season 6: Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons Pt 2

2017 Season 7: Winds of Winter

2018 Season 8: Dream of Spring (shooting Fall 2017)

So if he can get the next book out sometime in 2014 and have the last book published in late 2017 (or even early 2018 before the last season airs since he could share all he has w/the producers), things will work out.  If he goes much beyond this tho, things will get a bit wonky.

OP>The worst thing for me about his decision to split the northern and southern characters into 2 separate books is going an entire book with NO TYRION!!!  Seriously, Tyrion is a fantastic character and I was so glad when I heard they had Dinklage for the role, b/c he's been great for years. 

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVNT READ UP AS FAR AS DANCE WITH DRAGONS

I freaking love Tyrion, as my profile pic will show, but i really did not enjoy him in Dance at all. He could produce the occasional quick-witted gem that we grew to love him for and he hasnt completely lost his cleverness as can be seen multiple times throughout the book but killing his father changed him and not for the better i fear. And the whole where do whores go thing i mean his dad was being a dick he didn't actually mean that tysha went to some land where whores all across the globe congregate !

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." – Eddard Stark

SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVNT READ UP AS FAR AS DANCE WITH DRAGONS

I freaking love Tyrion, as my profile pic will show, but i really did not enjoy him in Dance at all. He could produce the occasional quick-witted gem that we grew to love him for and he hasnt completely lost his cleverness as can be seen multiple times throughout the book but killing his father changed him and not for the better i fear. And the whole where do whores go thing i mean his dad was being a dick he didn't actually mean that tysha went to some land where whores all across the globe congregate !

I agree, I wasn't really a fan of DWD overall, and that's one of the reasons.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I mean, the dude was captured and made a slave, he's had it hard for a bit.  If he get's in Danny's good graces, it might come back. I don't know what his place is gonna be now though, maybe one of her advisors?  We now have 3 canidates of who the 3 heads of the dragons will be.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm also reading the 4th book, I took a really long break from it because it was kind of boring but I am back in it! Almost sort of done, 73% according to the kindle woot woot! I just want to get to the 5th book because I wanna know what happens to all of those characters. But yes on having a hard time getting into it, I also love the HBO show I think it is wonderful! I cannot wait to see how they portray the rest of the book 3 events, I had to stop reading book 3 for a while because I didn't know what to do with all the information.

~Level 1 Lycan Ranger~

STR- 4 DEX-2 STA-3 CON-2 WIS-3 CHA-1

If the geographic split between books 4 and 5 really bothers anyone I know that somewhere out there (I'm sure you can find it on the google musheen) people have posted combined chapter reading orders for the books.  Since both books are out and available now, I might do that myself on the next re-read.  

Has anyone read the Brandon Sanderson book The Way of Kings?  I'm trying to get into other fantasy books besides ASOIAF, and I'm liking Mistborn so far.  

I might have to do that on my me t read through (my 4th for everything but 5).

Also, The Wheel of Time series is pretty good and is one of the longest continuous stories ever written at something like 4 million words over I think 15 books. Each one is as long as an ASoIaF book.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm about to start DWD soon, and I've been having discussions with my brother who's only seen the show, about when spoilers can be given. The books have been out and all the characters' fates can be looked up easily online. So we've been trying to establish a timeframe to tell people about certain aspects, i.e., the Red Wedding, or the key deaths at the end of book 3 (upcoming season 4).

Have you had any thoughts on this? Out of courtesy I don't give anything away, but it's fun to taunt. :)

Victory is not a destination; it's a process.

I'm about to start DWD soon, and I've been having discussions with my brother who's only seen the show, about when spoilers can be given. The books have been out and all the characters' fates can be looked up easily online. So we've been trying to establish a timeframe to tell people about certain aspects, i.e., the Red Wedding, or the key deaths at the end of book 3 (upcoming season 4).

Have you had any thoughts on this? Out of courtesy I don't give anything away, but it's fun to taunt. :)

I've read the series multiple times, Wifey has only seen the show. I need to be extremely careful. I'm looking forward to her seeing the major death this upcoming season. The biggest problem is actually her work functions. She has a coworker who is as big of a ASoIaF geek as I am and we need to move to another table or part of the party to talk about it. We almost gave the Red Wedding away 3 weeks early.

500 / 330 / 625

Has anyone read the Brandon Sanderson book The Way of Kings?  I'm trying to get into other fantasy books besides ASOIAF, and I'm liking Mistborn so far.

If you want some fantasy to keep you busy for a while, there's always the Wheel of Time series. I loved it as a teen; I went back and did a read through last year (reading some of the later books for the first time) which kept me busy for close to 6 months. Now, as an adult, I'll call it good, but not great, by which I mean it's not on the same level as ASOIAF, but I do love the world. Jordan tended to be a bit repetitive with certain things though... On the other hand, it got me in to ASOIAF (a cover blurb by Robert Jordan prompted my brother to buy me A Game of Thrones..). Sanderson finished that series off, and I found I couldn't really tell the difference when it switched from Jordan to Sanderson.

I've just started Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Only a few chapters in, so I can't recommend it yet, but it came highly recommended by others.

I'm thinking I might get Way of Kings next. The 2nd book is coming out shortly, and Sanderson has shown he can write quickly, though he tends to have multiple things on the go (i.e., there's a 3.5 year gap between 1 and 2, but in that time he published the last two Wheel of Time epics and a few other things...)

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

If the geographic split between books 4 and 5 really bothers anyone I know that somewhere out there (I'm sure you can find it on the google musheen) people have posted combined chapter reading orders for the books.  Since both books are out and available now, I might do that myself on the next re-read.  

I haven't read any Sanderson (besides the Wheel of Time books he finished for Jordan), but here are my top fantasy writers at the moment.

Joe Abercrombie - I guarantee if you like ASOIAF you'll like his books.

Patrick Rothfuss - amazing new author, you may want to wait until the 3rd book of his first trilogy comes out so you're not stuck wanting more like I am.

Daniel Abraham - I wasn't really a fan of the Long Price Quartet books, but am loving The Dagger and the Coin series

Glen Cook - I started with the Black Company books and loved them

Tad Williams - Sorrow, Memory and Thorn is still one of my favourite series, even if the themes may be a little cliche

Steven Erickson - these books are definitely not for everyone, but if you like the first one in the series (and can overlook some continuity errors), you won't be able to stop

I started reading ASoIaF when I watched the first season of the TV series, since then I haven't watched the series. Anyway, season 4 is almost out and the 6th book is nowhere to be seen! 

Also, how do you guys think will A Feast for crows will be showed in the series? since *spoiler* almost the fan favorites are not in the book? I have a feeling that A dance with dragons and a feast for crows will be combined. What do you guys think?

Level 3

STR 5.25 DEX  3.5 STA 10 CON 6 WIS 4 CHA 0
Cycling challenge

I started reading ASoIaF when I watched the first season of the TV series, since then I haven't watched the series. Anyway, season 4 is almost out and the 6th book is nowhere to be seen! 

Also, how do you guys think will A Feast for crows will be showed in the series? since *spoiler* almost the fan favorites are not in the book? I have a feeling that A dance with dragons and a feast for crows will be combined. What do you guys think?

I started reading ASoIaF in about 2001 or so (I've got the original paperback covers of Game and Clash, and the trade paperback of Storm of Swords, hardcover of Feast, and I know I did a re-read of the first ones before Feast came out) ;)

I've heard elsewhere that they'll re-integrate feast/dance, but it might have just been speculation.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I started reading ASoIaF in about 2001 or so (I've got the original paperback covers of Game and Clash, and the trade paperback of Storm of Swords, hardcover of Feast, and I know I did a re-read of the first ones before Feast came out) ;)

I've heard elsewhere that they'll re-integrate feast/dance, but it might have just been speculation.

I envy you for reading it really early! I wish I have known it before. But come to think of it, I was only 7 in 2001. I don't think ASoIaF is for me at that time lol

Can we speculate theories here? Possible spoilers though xD

Level 3

Cycling challenge

Dude, I love ASoIaF, on long overnight shifts I would read the books all night. They helped keep me awake. Ever since the show I've been wanting to start another read through, there's so much I've forgotten since reading them. I can never find the time. I have all the books in paperback packed away so they don't get all damaged.

• Like 1

Dude, I love ASoIaF, on long overnight shifts I would read the books all night. They helped keep me awake. Ever since the show I've been wanting to start another read through, there's so much I've forgotten since reading them. I can never find the time. I have all the books in paperback packed away so they don't get all damaged.

The cool thing is sometimes on your second or third or nth rad through you discover something or realize something you never knew before!  :peaceful:

• Like 1

Level 3

Cycling challenge

The cool thing is sometimes on your second or third or nth rad through you discover something or realize something you never knew before!  :peaceful:

I reread the whole series each time a new book comes out (so 1-3 I've done 3 times, Feast twice, Dance once) and it happens every time.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

I just started re-reading book one again. I'm so nervous he is going to keep over before he's done.......

At least the show producers have his notes if he pulls a Jordan. Never mention it to him though, gets him all pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

At least the show producers have his notes if he pulls a Jordan. Never mention it to him though, gets him all pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*snicker*

I will remember not to mention it next time George and I meet for coffee ;)

Thank goodness they have the notes. I am a little leery of  HBO and books, though, because there are other shows from books that they completely changed/ruined.

However, I'd agree they have done a fantastic job thus far. The actors... Ahmazing. I have never seen a book to TV that chose such perfect actors. 

• Like 1

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge

When I started reading, game of thrones, clash of kings, and storm of swords were already out, feast for crows was already anticipated, so I read through the whole story up to that point, and by then feast had come out so I continued reading. Should have done a full read through before dance, but I didn't. But really it's watching the show that makes me want to do another read through. So many things I've forgotten that when I watch the show, I go, "oh, yeah, I knew that!" But didn't remember up to that point.

A Feast for Crows is a tough read the first time. He neglects so many vital characters and focuses on characters that you could really care less about at first. I really appreciated the book a lot more the second through. You get so much more depth from the whole story in it. Its really worth the push through or at least a second read after ADWD 

-Never trade luck for skill

I keep falling into the trap of starting a series before the author is done.  I did it with WoT, and I'd re-read the series when a new book or two came out.  Well, that ended when my life got too busy to sit around and read for hours, and I never ended up finishing WoT. I want to know what happens but I don't want to reread the series. 

I did it again with the Kingkiller Chronicles, but there's only three books so I could reread that.  It just sucks to be into a good story then you have to wait a year or three or more for the next book.  By then I'm usually in a totally different place in my life (different job, different location, another kid), and it's hard to get back into the story.

I learned my lesson with the Office TV show - I had seen an episode here and there, but I never really watched it until six seasons were out, then I watched all six in a month or so while I had nothing else to do.  It was awesome to have that huge amount of story volume to absorb and the time to take it all in that fast.

For the GoT TV series I waited until this month to start it, so I have a few seasons before I run out.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Sorry to necro the thread, but there don't seem to be any active GoT discussion threads around.

Who is up to date with Season 5?  I had "spoiled myself" prior in the season so this was the first new episode I had to look forward to in a month and it did not disappoint one bit.

I just watched Episode 5 Kill The Boy and it's probably one of my favorite episodes to date.  Sure, nothing major happened but...

...Jorah and Tyrion in Valyria was something straight out of Robert E. Howard and any of Conan's adventures.  The old ruins and seeing Drogon's flight above was just epic.  Now I'm just worried about Jorah, who is one of my favorite characters, and his worsening... condition.  It was also nice to see the Jon Snow, King Stannis, and Daenerys storylines getting advanced to delve in Book 5's subject matter.

Excitement abounds for more Season 5!

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager