Forums are back in action! ×

Seems Like Home Already

Found out about the site yesterday and joined today. 

As recently as the end of 2009, I weighed more than 400 pounds. But in early 2010, I joined a gym and started eating better. Over the course of 2010, I lost about 150 pounds. Since then, I got as low as 225 or so, but have gained some of that back. I'm now about 275 pounds and want to get back into fighting shape. 

Since I lost the weight, I ran in my first ever 5k (September 2010). I started playing hockey again (twice a week) and this winter, I joined a men's basketball league. Last October, I completed the Tough Mudder race, which was awesome. I probably weighed 250 or so when I ran Tough Mudder. 

I do 45 minutes on the elliptical everyday, because it's what I'm used to and it's what I think I have to do to lose weight. Since yesterday, I started doing a some body-weight exercises at home during the day (planks, mountain climbers, burpees, etc.). 

My problem is self-control around my diet. I love the ideas behind the Paleo Diet, but it's hard to know what's ok and what's not (What's a legume, for example). I have a wife and three young kids at home and there's always snack food around the house and it's hard for me to say no, especially as the day wears on. 

I'd love to get stronger, get leaner, and get myself eating healthier. It feels like I'm in the right place, and I look forward to participating.  

Hello mikegibb :)

Welcome to the Rebellion.

Steve has written a great comprehensive guide on the paleo diet, that is even available as a pdf. I would link it, but I feel a bit lazy right now. It's the most read article on nerdfitness.com if you take a look around you can't miss it.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

If it is going to be unworkable to go paleo, you can still improve your diet a lot by eating real food; so go nab the healthy eating and/or the paleo guide in the free resources (click NERD FITNESS tab). Maybe you can discuss hiding the snacks that you are not planning on eating, and making sure that the good stuff (like fruit) is where you can see it.

You've already lost an amazing amount of weight so you know you can do this. Welcome to our fitness rebellion.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived