Forums are back in action! ×

New chick in town

Introductions are hard... I don't like being the newbie ;(

My name is Paula, but online I go by Niwa (You can address me with either) and I am a quarter century old.. yikes!! Also, I am a fattie ;( But I am here because I want to change that. I want to be healthy and happy. I want to be able to climb a mountain without passing out - that would not be good.

I enjoy a lot of sedentary activities - I'm a knitter and a crafter, so I like to make a lot of pretty things. I live in Phoenix where it is most always sunny, so there is no excuse for me to be such a hermit. 

I just recently joined a gym and am to start working with a personal trainer for the next 6 months, hoping to get a jump start on my fitness. I am also a weight watchers member, hoping that can help with my diet.

I guess that's all I got for now... meep!

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

Don't feel old, I'm the same age and I've got a whole life full of adventure ahead of me. I think you'll fit in just fine around here, we like newbies!

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Aww thanks guys! :)

I do have a question about WW actually - well not so much about the program itself but on how to "track" away from phone/computer. I have the app setup on my phone, but I have a tendency of not carrying my phone around especially while shopping. I'm sure maybe in time I'll figure this out, but is there any.. math in my head I can do to sort of figure out point values?

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

You can do super-dooper rough & wild estimating with calories 35=1PPV, but I don't recommend a lot of that because points don't translate directly to calories, they take into consideration carbs/fat/fiber/protein.  A better way if you eat while you're out and about is to stick to real foods, which are fairly easy to estimate.  Lean meat is 1 PPV/ounce.  Steamed veggies and fresh fruit are 0 PPV.  If you're talking about estimating points while you're grocery shopping, same thing applies.  If you eat a lot of processed foods, you're best off taking your phone with you once and checking a lot of foods out. 

Having been doing this a while, I can tell you that the more real foods that you eat, the more food you get for your PP.  It's easy to grab a frozen dinner, but if you cooked similar items you'd ditch a lot of the useless sugar (and salt) they add and replace it with actual food.  For example, I've replaced my "3 point bars" with 3 points worth of nuts.  An unanticipated side effect - after about 3 or 4 months of cutting back junk, I've started to get comments on how great my skin looks, and what am I using on it? 

Hope this is what you were looking for.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived