Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everybody,

I'm new to NerdFitness (hence the post in the Rebel Introductions forum) and this is my first time really on any forum for anything. My dad is wildross and he has said that this has helped him maintain accountability. It's hard for me because I'm the type to rarely ask for help.

I started the Paleo Diet about 3 weeks ago and have lost about 12 lbs already. The weightloss has slowed down primarily because of my BMR to calorie intake rate. I've been working a 600 calorie deficit without consistent exercise.

I used to go to the Gym almost daily with my dad, but after he moved away I ended up falling off the wagon. I really enjoyed working out at the gym, deadlifts, bench work and all that wonderful heavy lifting with some bag work thrown in. There's nothing that compares to punching a bag to work off some steam.

That being said, in 2008 I was doing step-ups, as many as I could in 60 seconds, came down wrong and tore my right lateral ankle tendon. I was in a boot for 6 weeks. My ankle wasn't really strong enough til about 6 months after and that 6 months got me out of sync. I never really got back in after some other life problems including a break-up after a 4 year relationship. Last fall I had decided that as soon as I was back from helping my folks move again I would start working out as I had before. While helping my dad drive from 1400 miles for his move I jumped the trailer hitch and tore my left lateral ankle tendon. Welcome back walking boot.. That was on Thanksgiving day. I still have some aching in my ankle and I would say it's about 70%. 

At this point I have some fear of going back to a gym. I mean, step ups? jumping a trailer? What the heck! The fear of injury is definitely prevalent. However I'm willing to do this again because I want to get in shape, I want to be strong. I've never been a pound counter. When I was planning on joining the Marines (it fell through due to medical history so no ups there) I was 140lbs and at 5'4 that was considered "overweight" on their scale. However I could do 90 Military pushups, 70 situps and a 13:00 mile. I'll admit the mile run was the hardest, I've never been a good endurance person and I have a chest condition which has a mind of it's own. When it shows up the cartilage  between my ribs inflames and it feels as though there's a vice tightening down on my chest. Not fun, I'll tell you that much. The big issue is that the feeling right before getting your "second wind" feels exactly like the beginning of that vice. So I tend to stop since I can't tell the difference.

Wow, I've really typed a lot. I've gotta go finish getting ready to go to work now. Here's my current stats:

165.6lbs

31.9% BF

5'4"

Mid Twenties

Female

Hopefully, this will help me maintain going to the gym.

I'm also trying to keep a blog going of my daily struggles and work here:

http://wufkar-wellliving.blogspot.com/ 

Here's hoping!

Wufkar

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

I had an infection in my ribcage when I was about your age, and all I can say is OWWWWWWWW.  Mine was an infection and (finally) went away.  I think slow and steady is your best bet.  Body weight training a couple of days a week and maybe intervals a couple of days a week, and a couple of rest days.  For additional accountability, you can join in the challenge that's in progress - it still has 5 weeks to go.  Good luck.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived