Forums are back in action! ×

Herbalife - Mind Blown

My brain just exploded all over my monitor. A "friend" of mine pushes Herbalife, to the tune of five to six statuses a day. Anyway, she posted today about some kids' supplement, and how many times children are sick becasue they're lacking nutrients and this supplement (first three ingredients: soy, fructose, sugar) will help them get everything they need.

Then a friend (probably also a "distributor") replied and said her grandson had horrible asthma, and they suspected it was an allergy to milk. So they replaced milk with this Herbalife supplament. And boom! Herbalife fixed him. So everyone should give this to their children!

They genuinely don't seem to see that simply taking milk away fixed the problem. That's like me saying, "I suspected eggs were making my face break out (true story). So I took eggs away and added whisky. Whisky made my face stop breaking out. Everyone needs to try it!"

I had to come here where like-minded people see what more likely cause and effect. Since there's no point trying to explain it to them. Plus, I realize they have a profit to make. So that will skew the way they see things.

Sigh. :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Correlation does not imply causation... if more people in the world really understood what that sentence meant then puppies and kitties would be dancing around singing praises to humanity.

"Whisky made my face stop breaking out. Everyone needs to try it!"

This is all I was supposed to get out of the rest of your post right? Because I totally agree.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

lol truth.

My friend is pushing isagenix ?  She's raving about it (and selling it) and she had a post up at some point about a lazy ass teacher friend who swore by it because she dropped 12 lbs in a week without diet or exercise really.   I flat out told her that was unhealthy as hell and she probably shouldn't be pushing such a product. 

I was like the fact you've been busting your butt in HIIT/Boot camp type classes and eating cleaner has NOTHING to do with your great progress (my friend's)... it's all due to this miracle protein shake stuff.

Bah.  People are such sheeple.  There is no magic fix.  It's hard work and dedication and simple eating.  

Don't pay any attention, and your brain will remain in its head where it belongs.

Someone is ALWAYS wrong on the Internet :P

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Not only do people just push crap as "healthy" but they push eating as much as you want of foods deemed healthy. Like last night my landlord ate a 3 lb burrito (not his only meal of the day either) and as he was eating it, asked me why he doesn't lose weight like others. And proceeded to point out how he was eating healthy food like the rest. Not that I count guacamole, sour cream, rice, beans, sauced up chicken, and who knows what else as healthy.

So yeah, as Raincloack says, forget the world, people are always wrong.

OK, so the plan is:

1. Buy whisky in bulk from the liquor store.

2. Tell everyone it cleared my face up and how if you love yourself you'll also drink it

2a. Call myself a doctor

3. Resell at profit

3a. Drink some of profits?

THIS ^^^^ is the bestest plan ever. 

Now imagine if you mixed it with herbalife.... OMG.... end of global warming, start of global peace, unicorns will roam free and rainbows and hearts will fall from the sky

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My folks flirted with Amway back in the 80s, so I know the scam here.  Nicely skewered at the Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/7/4074808/juicing-the-pyramid-is-herbalife-an-8-billion-house-of-cards

Personal investment in the scheme (as opposed to being just an employee) means you're more likely to make "effective" -- ie, bogus, unethical, and wrong -- sales moves.  The merest sniff of a pyramid structure and I'm out of there.

duty_calls.png

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Correlation does not imply causation... if more people in the world really understood what that sentence meant then puppies and kitties would be dancing around singing praises to humanity.

Damn... I was hoping to convince my wife that men with beards can lift more weight and I should hence grow a beard.

Not only do people just push crap as "healthy" but they push eating as much as you want of foods deemed healthy. Like last night my landlord ate a 3 lb burrito (not his only meal of the day either) and as he was eating it, asked me why he doesn't lose weight like others. And proceeded to point out how he was eating healthy food like the rest. Not that I count guacamole, sour cream, rice, beans, sauced up chicken, and who knows what else as healthy.

So yeah, as Raincloack says, forget the world, people are always wrong.

That shit is healthy magic goop.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Damn... I was hoping to convince my wife that men with beards can lift more weight and I should hence grow a beard.

I never said this wasn't true... I am pretty sure that beards give you magic powers.  It's not correlation that men with beards are stronger, it's just that their awesomeness is more visible.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I did Herbalife for a month last year. The first week I did it, I became very, very ill. Turns out my "trusted" life coach gave me the wrong canister (I have several food allergies but she assured me that Herbalife had a product that would work for me.) So yes, I did lose weight...but that was due to illness, NOT the product itself being magical unicorn-shaped manna from heaven. I ended up taking their dairy-free formula, which is all soy. I was only able to take it for a couple of weeks because I began having intestinal issues again. I took it back and told her to her face that she was lying and she said that I wasn't trying blah blah.

Moral of the story....Herbalife sucks and there is NO magical pill, potion, powder or routine that is going to make you lose weight short of getting a parasite or having your mouth stapled shut.

I feel the same way about Shakeology, which is another big fat scam. I haven't tried their products, mostly because I am allergic to some of the things in them, but if you ever search youtube for P90X transformations, you'll find that about 3/4 of the people who posted them are "life coaches", "lifestyle trainers" or if they're a little more honest, they'll just tell you that the sell Shakeology up front. Of course, everyone who does P90X NEEDS Shakeology because it's THE KEY to their success. I highly doubt that's the case...It just pisses me off that so many companies feel the need to claim that they can "cure" obesity, asthma, allergies, immune disorders, whatever. There is no "cure", just better choices that can be made if you are willing to take the time to make them, imo.

Unfortunately this isn't a new thing. The previously mentioned Amway is probably the biggest, most obvious callback, but I distinctly remember AM300 from about 15 years ago, and Melaluca from 5 or 6 years prior. A local businessman (and friend of my family) tried to recruit my brother and I (then aged 17 and 16, respectively) to sell AM300. Good thing it was too expensive to seriously consider, or we may have bought in. Also, I distinctly remember a middle-school teacher preaching the miraculous benefits of melaluca to a class he was subbing for. In retrospect it's pretty slimy.

Most recently, a coworker of mine dropped 60 pounds in a few months on Zrii, but she was taking in 1000 cals a day or less and working out for hours 5-6 days a week. Since those behaviors stopped, she's back at square one.

I may not be dropping 20 pounds a month, and I may have a century to go, but I'll stick with lifting heavy and fixing my diet problems.

JB 2.0

Level 1 Simian Ranger
STR 4.5|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.

-R.A. Salvatore

My Challenge Thread | My Battle Log | Battle Log Spreadsheet | Down and Dirties!

Unfortunately this isn't a new thing. The previously mentioned Amway is probably the biggest, most obvious callback, but I distinctly remember AM300 from about 15 years ago, and Melaluca from 5 or 6 years prior. A local businessman (and friend of my family) tried to recruit my brother and I (then aged 17 and 16, respectively) to sell AM300. Good thing it was too expensive to seriously consider, or we may have bought in. Also, I distinctly remember a middle-school teacher preaching the miraculous benefits of melaluca to a class he was subbing for. In retrospect it's pretty slimy.

Most recently, a coworker of mine dropped 60 pounds in a few months on Zrii, but she was taking in 1000 cals a day or less and working out for hours 5-6 days a week. Since those behaviors stopped, she's back at square one.

I may not be dropping 20 pounds a month, and I may have a century to go, but I'll stick with lifting heavy and fixing my diet problems.

I remember watching the Amway commercials and thinking what a big giant pyramid scheme they had going on.

and losing 20lbs a month sounds like a really good way to make yourself sick :|

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Oh god. A lot of my FB friends are going on about juicing and how great it is, and another person has gotten into the Body by Vi scam....ridiculous.

1. Eat your goddamn vegetables; by juicing you are taking all the good shit out of them.

2. Mixing this crazy shit into shakes and replacing your meals with those is not really going to fix everything.

Eat healthy, work hard. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Archived