Forums are back in action! ×

Have a really good feeling about NF

Hi all,

I found NF a few days ago after searching (and I'm serious here) "Afraid to go to the gym." After snooping around the site for awhile, I was really inspired by the fact that the folks on here are really cool about supporting each other and of course, being nerds.

Just a little background...I've tried a number of times to lose weight and get healthy. The one time I was "successful" I was eating around 600 calories a day, running like a hamster on a wheel, and being the most miserable crank ever.Needless to say, I gained that weight back in no time.

I feel good about NF because I've liked the support I've seen in regards to women and strength training. Also, the Paleo diet makes an incredible amount of sense.

So, that my story. Forums also freak me out a bit, so this is another new thing for me. Hope to get to know some of you.

lifelong nerd girl. former gym class deserter.

Challenge #1; Challenge #2

I sat myself down and shot my fear in the face

600 calories...ACK!  A nice clean healthy diet is the way to go.  A lot of people on the forum eat a paleo diet, and it works well for most.  If you're not sure you want to go for that, just start out by eating clean.  Cut the packaged/junk stuff.  Add fruits, veggies, nuts, olive oil, and avocados.  Once you've got that fairly well under control, you can decide if you want to take the jump to paleo, as Synyster suggests.  You might want to get a tracker (I like MyFitnessPal.com) and find a target calorie level. 

If you're afraid to go to the gym, start out with some of the body-weight workouts available on the FREE RESOURCES page (click NERD FITNESS).  The hotel-room, angry birds, and beginner's body weight can all be done at home with little or no equipment.

Good luck 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hiya and welcome,

I'm new too and I know what you mean about doing unhealthy diets, as I've been there. I've been strength training since January and I've lost just under 6kg whilst averaging 1900 calories a day. :-)

By the way, I love your avatar! I'm a slightly obsessive Whovian and counting down the seconds to next Saturday's premiere.

SSxx

Awesome that you see where your mistake was the last time you lost a lot of weight! One thing you can take away from that is you had the will and strength to follow such a program. That's a huge step! Put that into a healthy program and you've got guaranteed success.  Getting in the swing of a program that is sustainable is so important. Welcome to the rebellion! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Welcome! 

I'm glad we can be part of so many firsts for you. Steve (the guy who started all this madness) actually wrote an article a while back called the "20 Second Challenge" that you might want to check out. It helped me do something I was absolutely terrified of doing (going into a new bakery nearby and asking about a job, I'm a pretty shy guy) and even better it is full of nerdy goodness.

As for your diet check out the General Nutrition Forum for some good ideas about healthy foods. And if worse comes to worse ask someone for advice, like me! Despite the fact that I can never seem to quit the sweets I know a ton of tasty foods to eat.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Hi Sara_bellum (love that)! I'm new here too!

I think you'll like paleo, but if you're finding it to strict, especially at first, you might want to look at eating primal (some fruit and dairy added in) - take a look at Mark's Daily Apple for good info.

Hello Sara,

Welcome to NF. You ARE going to love it here.  We're a huge family and we love getting to know new people all the time.  The best part is that no one judges you and they're all full of great ideas.  Laureleye had some good recommendations for beginning body weight workouts without going to the gym (I tried Angry Birds and loved it) and when you're ready for the gym you could try workouts like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.  Why not join us on 15 April for the next 6 week challenge and begin another adventure.  You can choose any of the guilds, but if you're unsure the Adventurers would love to have you and support and guide you. 

If you have any other questions, about anything, hit me up (via PM).

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Archived