Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Actually, all this talk of un-pure sand is making me think of adding fillers in spices. If you guys ever go to a spice market while abroad, and the price seems a little too good, take warning; there are quite a few vendors who bulk up the spices with sawdust!

I don't wanna see no sawdust in my sand.

Anyways, speaking of annoying comments, I was at an event tonight where there were a lot of pictures taken; I was told to 'go eat a cheeseburger' three times (pet peeve, and pretty cliche). I think my face is still stuck in a smiling wince. -_-

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Anyways, speaking of annoying comments, I was at an event tonight where there were a lot of pictures taken; I was told to 'go eat a cheeseburger' three times (pet peeve, and pretty cliche). I think my face is still stuck in a smiling wince. -_-

How about tellin' 'em you'd rather eat a caprese burger made with ingredients you know about and are fresh, and wrapped in fresh butter lettuce - and that they can stick to their "cheese" "burger" (don't want to know what's in processed cheese slices, don't want to know what else goes into store-bought bulk burgers either) in a corner?

Mind, I'm a bit too in-your-face when it comes to things like this. I think Athena's comeback is much, much better.

And as for sandology - I believe processed is soooo much better than all this "natural" stuff. Don't you know that natural stuff is just hiding things that are bad for you? If natural were better, science wouldn't have made processed things, right? I mean, come on. Processed = improved. Duh. It makes it easier for your body to, y'know, absorb things.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

tumblr_inline_mm1rfgoCXC1qz4rgp.gif

Right?!

Did you tell them to go eat a salad?

Ohhh man, that would have been sassy! I probably would've gotten in some trouble for that, but that's my new go-to response to this little suggestion. XD (At least under my breath)

How about tellin' 'em you'd rather eat a caprese burger made with ingredients you know about and are fresh, and wrapped in fresh butter lettuce - and that they can stick to their "cheese" "burger" (don't want to know what's in processed cheese slices, don't want to know what else goes into store-bought bulk burgers either) in a corner?

Mind, I'm a bit too in-your-face when it comes to things like this. I think Athena's comeback is much, much better.

That looks delicious, and I would much rather eat one of those than a processed 'burger'. Pretty sure those cheese slices are mostly plastic-stuff.

Completely not fitness related

"ooohhhh you ride??

or 

"is that your motorcycle?

standing helmet in hand or just gearing up to get on the bike.

<facepalm>

I like to tell people I"m just really clumsie if they ask if I ride when I walk in with a full face helmet and a leather armored jacket. 

I love when I'm working on my bike and people ask me if it is my "man's" bike. I look at them and ask if I look like the kinda fool who would fix a bike that ain't hers.

Then I educate their little girls about the differences between a socket driver and a box end wrench.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

That looks delicious, and I would much rather eat one of those than a processed 'burger'. Pretty sure those cheese slices are mostly plastic-stuff.

Considering they still retain a lot of their shape when melted, I wouldn't be surprised - or that just the top seems to coagulate while the rest of it stays somehow liquidy...

I love when I'm working on my bike and people ask me if it is my "man's" bike. I look at them and ask if I look like the kinda fool who would fix a bike that ain't hers.

Then I educate their little girls about the differences between a socket driver and a box end wrench.

When I get a motorcycle, I'm coming over so you can educate me. XD

Srsly, though - I really want to get a nice Harley sometime in my future (a long whiles away, though - too many expenses up first, ha ha!), and I can see the whole "oh, you're a girl, you don't ride" thing being sooo annoying. 

Though I also like the "no, I'm just so clumsy I'd-" *slip and whack them over the head with the helmet* "Oh, you're clumsy, too? I have a spare on my bike... Let me go get it."

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

CHALLENGE

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Srsly, though - I really want to get a nice Harley sometime in my future (a long whiles away, though - too many expenses up first, ha ha!),

Harleys are great but definitely expensive. I would start with a Honda Rebel, Shadow, or Suzuki S40 instead. Used of course as you WILL drop it and you can generally find them under 3K.

Human Adventurer

that's super fabulous.  I don't get that- mostly because I don't live on a highly traveled walk area- so if I'm wrenching- I'm alone most of the time- me my bike and a beer. But that's an EXCELLENT response!

Best DAY'S ever- well except riding days.  (First ride of the season- I felt like someone falcon punched me- it was awful- I was so beat up!!!  was a glorious 200 miles though)

Harleys are great but definitely expensive. I would start with a Honda Rebel, Shadow, or Suzuki S40 instead. Used of course as you WILL drop it and you can generally find them under 3K.

ZOMG this this this.

Even then 3K is still pricey- you can get beater bikes for around 1500-2K.  I paid 3200 for my first Honda CBR- and the first 10,000 miles I put on it in a year were nerve wracking- only because I was terrified I would drop it (plastics on those bike's can run you upwards of 1500$)

I sold it and purchased an semi nekkid SV650 (vtwin sport bike) so fewer fairings to crack and break.  I LOVE IT. way more practical- good for the track- good for touring- good for commuting (well least till I put race parts on it LMAO)... and when I drop it I don't cry.  I also pay like 1/2 of what I pay in insurance. 

Harley's retain their resale value (god only knows why) so they are always obscenely over priced... I would HIGHLY recommend something with lower CC (CC do NOT actually indicate physical size of the bike- or physical size of anyone's penis) and something if you drop- you won't cry about.  

Trust me- it's easier that way.

3k is definitely still up there (my 250 Ninja cost half that), but it isn't an unrealistic amount to spend on a used 600+

Personally I've given up on ever owning a Harley, and have my sights set on a new S40. 380lb 650cc with a seat height that fits me like a glove? YES TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

Human Adventurer

nah- but 600's make shitty first bikes (well in the sport bike world)- cruisers are a different animal- but 600 is still no joke.

You did good with the ninjette- they are SUPER fun to ride!!

how long have you been riding?  

650 is a great engine- I adore mine to be honest... I'll never go back to an inline 4.  bah- iz-icky! Twin powers baby!!!!

I have a massive hard on for the Speed Triple by Triumph.  My BF has the street triple- and he fucking sold it (I have unresolved anger issues because I got him the sweet new exhaust as a surprise and he sold it about 6 months later- and he then had the nerve to complain how much he misses it).  But I put about 1000 on it riding to work one week when we swapped... I had to eat my words- it was a shit load of fun to ride.

So the speedie has me captivated- completely different animal- people think it's a pig compared to the streetie- but I love how it looks- it's stubby aggressive and raw looking- which totally makes me lust after it.  But yeah- that shit's not happening any time soon.  :(  

Outpouring of bike advice. *Mouse is taking notes*

My boyfriend's auntie is a major Harley and bike fan and she tends to go through them relatively quickly. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to bikes, but she had a bike that she was selling for $5k about a year ago. I'd buy it if I had a license/didn't have to pay for tuition. XD

I'm definitely taking notes. I probably won't buy one until I'm closer to 30, but I'm definitely taking notes! Thank you~! >w<

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

CHALLENGE

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Google Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

If you know nothing- it's a 2.5 day coarse (friday afternoon- all day Saturday and most of Sunday .... and they will teach you the bare bones of what you need to know. 

There is an exam- and a practical at the end- if you pass- you receive your endorsement- meaning you can then go to the DMV and get your licence "endorsed" and you are now legal to ride- so no taking the DMV's riding test.  It's the best way to learn how to ride.  Don't get anyone to teach you- definitely not a SO, or your uncle bob... and I mean no disrespect to your Aunt- but not her either... As a trent Harley people are big NO FRONT BRAKE people... " the I had to lay it down" crowd.  it's rubbish. 

You can get a beater bike for 500-1500 easily- budget for GEAR.  WEAR YOUR GEAR.

WEAR YOUR GEAR... WEAR YOUR GEAR WEAR YOUR GEAR.  

Gear is worth it's weight in gold- there are no promises or gaurentees in life but it CAN mean the difference between walking away with no injuries or being a permanent vegetable on a table. 

Seriously- please don't buy a harley as a first bike- they are heavy and awkward.  Hard to learn on.  Buy a beginner bike.  You don't walk into the gym expecting to lift like arnold right?  You learn form- proper technique and work your way up... same with bikes. 

Ooh....bike talk! I miss mine :( but plan on buying another one in the next couple of months *fingers crossed*

In the cruiser world, I'll say that cc's do matter depending on a few variables. I learned on an 1100cc old Honda Shadow....good learning bike, but at 6'3 and 250 at the time, highway get-up was something to be desired. When It was time to buy my own, I settled on an older (~10 year old at the time), but barely used, Yamaha Royal Star. Now, it was only 1300cc, but the difference was the fact that it was a 4 cylinder, not a V-Twin, which makes a huge difference come highway and interstate speeds.

My next bike will most likely be a Yamaha Warrior.....1700cc belt driven cruiser :)

Crotch rockets have never been for me because 1) I'm too big and 2) I need my highway pegs and the feeling of lounging while riding.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Seriously- please don't buy a harley as a first bike- they are heavy and awkward.  Hard to learn on.  Buy a beginner bike.  You don't walk into the gym expecting to lift like arnold right?  You learn form- proper technique and work your way up... same with bikes. 

I second this in a big way! They are too expensive to learn on, they will beat you to death, and just not worth the hassle.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

lol... not a crotch rocket.

Sport bike.  sorry pet peeve.

LMAO... "only a 1300"

you make me laugh sir.

and meh- we wedge ourselves on all sorts of bikes- there are plenty of sporty options that aren't cruisers- this whole other world called standards and touring bikes ;)

they make my bike in in the SF (semi faired) And N (nekkid) the nekkid is a up right- handle bars- no clip ons- sporty but up right- more comfie.  

Triumph tiger- also bigger more upright.

You should check those out- fun to ride- all over- and not so douchy as cruisers. 

lol... not a crotch rocket.

Sport bike.  sorry pet peeve.

LMAO... "only a 1300"

you make me laugh sir.

and meh- we wedge ourselves on all sorts of bikes- there are plenty of sporty options that aren't cruisers- this whole other world called standards and touring bikes ;)

they make my bike in in the SF (semi faired) And N (nekkid) the nekkid is a up right- handle bars- no clip ons- sporty but up right- more comfie.  

Triumph tiger- also bigger more upright.

You should check those out- fun to ride- all over- and not so douchy as cruisers. 

Sorry....habit :P

Well, as you know, cc's on cruisers vs cc's on sport bikes aren't really comparable, so my "only 1300" was meant as a comparison to the beastly 1800's, etc.....also it was shaft driven vs belt or chain.

Had to look your model up and I know what you mean now....it is more up right than I imagined. I have a friend that rides nothing by BMW touring bikes, but I just can't get into those. My dad had a Yamaha Venture (Yamaha's version of the Honda Goldwing)....again, another type I can't get into, the luxury cruisers. Specialty bikes like dirt bikes have their purpose and are fun, but to me the perfect bike has a nice low rumble (not the popopopop of Harley's), highway pegs, comfortable seat, backrest, saddle bags and space on the back for some luggage for weekend trips, and preferably a beautiful woman riding with me :)

But don't worry......with all of that, I'm far from douchy :P

I just read through the last few posts and now i dearly miss my old '86 GSX-R...she was a good ole' girl. Got her for 1200$ as a second bike, my first was a Honda CT-90 (awesome little scooter-dirtbike-underbone thingy

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

Google Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

*snip*

You can get a beater bike for 500-1500 easily- budget for GEAR.  WEAR YOUR GEAR.

WEAR YOUR GEAR... WEAR YOUR GEAR WEAR YOUR GEAR.  

Gear is worth it's weight in gold- there are no promises or gaurentees in life but it CAN mean the difference between walking away with no injuries or being a permanent vegetable on a table. 

*snip*

MSF courses are great.

Gear may have saved my life, or at least a headache and a foot.

I hit some gravel at about 25mph on a curve and woke up on the left side of the road with grass sticking out of my faceshield, and green stains down past my knee.  My leather boot was torn off the sole on two sides, right next to the little and big toes that ended up being broken.  I'm not sure how hard my head hit, but I definitely would have slid on my face, and had I been wearing shoes rather than boots the foot would have been far worse.

None of the gear prevented the broken kneecap, but it is what it is.

That bike was a 750cc 4-cylinder Honda Magna, but I don't think I'll ever get a bike over 650 again, and probably not more than 450-500.  I don't like the weight, and I'm not a fan of the super fast plastic-covered crotch rockets either.  I'd probably get a smaller Shadow in a 500, or something similar, if I don't just get a little 125cc scooter for zipping around town.  (Don't knock it; it's awesome!)

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

A-hab-solutely. I learned how to ride and took my test on a Honda Rebel, and it's a lovely little bike, great for getting started. A friend of mine has a Suzuki, and she loves it too. Mine was a 250cc, and it was great for riding around town, but I wouldn't trust it on the major highways, especially with the crazy winds we get out here on the plains. Take a couple for a spin and find a size that works out for you, but don't be afraid to start small! That's how we start out, after all.

Wow, sorry - too many posts to quote without turning this into a huge quote tower. Kinda all responding, I think - though namely to I-Jo's stuff.

I'll have to find a Canadian equivalent to MSF - they're not up here in the north. I do know my provincial motor association has a motorcycle training course, though. I'll make sure to take that for sure, but I've gotta save up the cash first, ha ha!

And I totally get the whole "don't get others to teach you" bit. While my (hopefully future-to-be) Aunt is awesome, I don't think I'd ever learn anything under her teaching. She's the "yell at you" kinda lady, which works, but not for me while learning. Plus, I'd rather learn from folks who professional teach others how not to get killed - and on the kinda bike I'd get/ride (no idea yet - sport bikes > cruisers? Also, just looked up standards - those look nice, too).

Gear I totally get, too. Though I did forget about how much it could cost, so I'll have to keep that in mind when I consider buying.

I've seen a few motorcycle crash aftermaths - one where the guy had full gear and walked away (sore, limping a bit, but intact) and another where the guy had severe road burn from a crash much less severe than the geared guy. This dude was all jeans and t-shirt. If I'mma be riding something that goes as fast(er) as a car without the car, I want my body to be covered in as much car-like protection as I can get. I like my skin attached to my muscle attached to my bone.

Thanks so much, guys! There's seriously a wealth of knowledge on this site!

And now I'm obsessed with motorcycles. And I really wanna go get one, but I've got so many other things to get before I get one. TAT

Damn this car before motorcycle business. And house before motorcycle business. *shakes fish, yes, fish*

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

CHALLENGE

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Damn this car before motorcycle business. And house before motorcycle business. *shakes fish, yes, fish*

Same boat! Gotta replace my truck before I get my own bike... The fact that I'm sitting in a snowstorm on May Day is a testament to the need to have a fully functional vehicle. -_-