Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Errah - I admit I missed the part where you said: "given you are getting enough calories and sleep your body will always adapt", sorry!  I wanted to get something in here with a few reputable sources quick, as I was just heading out the door. That'll teach me to rush reading posts and posting responses!

Kruser

Fleet Footed Wood Elf

SCOUT

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

I-Joe - under rested would be a much better term.

Kruser- I didn't mean to sound like everybody should be doing full body workouts seven days a week either but even if you did I think you would probably run into injury long before your body started to eat itself into nothingness. And I also believe that deloading can help you break through plateaus and get stronger but these things are more often then not just excuses because of laziness. I mean iv had training partners where once a month they are taking a week off to avoid overtraining and then telling me I'm going to burn myself out and destroy my body. All the while I'm passing them and they are asking me how I'm doing it..... By working my ass off while they are taking their rest week that's how. In my book overtraining goes right in the same folder as all those "learn the one secret to pack on forty pounds of muscle without doing anything". It's just lazy people looking for an excuse to be lazy. I never heard a true committed athlete complain or worry about overtraining,only time I hear about it it's usually accompanied by a Doritos bag being opened.

Was chatting to friends about my plans for next year - Everest Base Camp Trek in March, and was surprised how negative they were.

'Are you sure' 'Try in 2014' etc.

I know they are only concerned, and they know how unfit I currently am but still, a bit of support would of been nice.

They have done a few hikes with me, so know my current limitations but they also know how much weight I have lost recently.  Meh.

Currently planning on not mentioning Everest till I get back and put the pictures on facebook. :-)

My Walking blog - I Don't Do Hills

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover

You're so ____________________ why are you doing all this______>>  (calorie counting, cutting, working out etc etc).

A fairly over weight lady said that to me when I said I couldn't eat to much I had a limit on calories and I was quickly approaching it- she goes but you're so thin and pretty already why do you need to count calories??  She quickly said- well that's probably why you look the way you do- which is usually my initial response.

facepalm- it just gets old.

Why are you always doing Squats? Can't you add more variation to your workout like Smith Squats?

Don't you train your upper body? (Even though it's very evident that I am and look stronger than him XD)

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

Yesterday I saw one of my mom's friends. I have known her for about 13 years and i offered to take her to the gym with me so she could attack the post-baby weight. She repleid "why do you workout so much, you've always been so thin it isn't like you need to" and I wanted to scream. Dropping weight is not the only reason to workoutAnd just because I'm naturally thinner doesn't mean that I should just eat whatever and be lazy! Grrr

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I know everybody means well, but this gets old very quickly. "Wow, you look like shit"

I have thyroid issues, they act up... at least my husband doesn't comment anymore... but still, I know that I look sick, you don't have to tell me.

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Annoying comments you hear all the time:

Yeah right! Who puts all the presents under the tree? Parents? As if!

Of course Santa does actually exist, I was just using it as an example of something you could say to deliberately upset a child if you were a horrible person.

Now the Easter Bunny on the other hand...

Annoying comment I hear several times a week:

Random out-of-shape female soldier (whom I continuously observe wandering aimlessly about the gym for a grand total of 30 minutes every time), comes over to my treadmill after observing that my slick-with-sweat hair has fallen out of a bun and is hanging in a loop without my knowledge, "Excuse me? Excuse me, but your hair is out of regulation. You need to fix yourself. We're not allowed to wear our hair like that in uniform." I always give a simple polite, "Ok, thank you," and proceed to continue running while I put it back up in a bun.

But SERIOUSLY!? First off, maybe if she was actually doing something akin to exercise she'd realize that maintaining a perfectly military coif isn't exactly easy during vigorous and sustained movement, nor is it exactly a top priority at any particular moment during that time. And secondly, there's no reason to approach me like I'm doing something deliberately insubordinate: a simple, "Hey, your bun's come undone." would be perfectly acceptable.

One of these days I'm just going to snap back with, "So's your BMI." (And please keep in mind, I would never say something like that to a civilian - our weight as soldiers is regulated by military standards.)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

One of these days I'm just going to snap back with, "So's your BMI." (And please keep in mind, I would never say something like that to a civilian - our weight as soldiers is regulated by military standards.)

Just make sure she doesn't have a higher rank first... that could get messy unless you CO has a great sense of humor!

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Evicious I am laughing so hard! Even if you never say anything to her you sure made me smile!

Nice to know somebody understands my sense of humor/sarcasm :P

Some people struggle with relevancy. Maybe ask her if she'd like to try your gym routine. That'd stop her worrying about out of place hair!

Just make sure she doesn't have a higher rank first... that could get messy unless you CO has a great sense of humor!

UltanBoyd, CrisciMalosh gives the precise reason why I haven't said anything snarky yet. But she's slowly working her way up to a sarcastic remark, and I'm fortunate enough to have an E7 (SFC) who's more likely to back me up than he is to care for a second what rank she is, since he's retiring in 9 +/- months and pretty much answers to no one these days. :P

Last time I checked PT gear/regulations are different than other uniforms... But she's a tool. Sounds like butter bars trying to prove her worth.

I-Jo, there was a brief span where the idea of allowing female U.S. Army soldiers to wear their hair in pony tails during PT was tossed around, but it was quickly shunted into the "but that will make the male soldiers view them as "females" " (instead of soldiers, apparently). Which is a nonsensical argument, but seeing as the Army has only just opened up line unit positions for females, I'm willing to trade in the pony tail reg for a longer stride in the direction of actual equality (even if it is super-annoying to have to constantly re-arrange my hair while I'm trying to get a workout in). You pick your battles in this world... or rather, you take what you get and find a reason to be grateful for it. X-D

Keep up the momentum!

you know what.... I"m not as familiar with Army as I am with AF (my bestie is a Captain with them) and I knew quiet a few Marines- i still don't remember ever seeing anyone get their stones busted for having their hair in pony tails- and we were surrounded by people in the military. Hmmm- it's been a while- I'll have to ask around.  

seriously sounds like she has an issue- I'd figure out who she is then blast her fat ass about being rude. 

I-Jo, there was a brief span where the idea of allowing female U.S. Army soldiers to wear their hair in pony tails during PT was tossed around, but it was quickly shunted into the "but that will make the male soldiers view them as "females" " (instead of soldiers, apparently). Which is a nonsensical argument, but seeing as the Army has only just opened up line unit positions for females, I'm willing to trade in the pony tail reg for a longer stride in the direction of actual equality (even if it is super-annoying to have to constantly re-arrange my hair while I'm trying to get a workout in). You pick your battles in this world... or rather, you take what you get and find a reason to be grateful for it. X-D

That... say what? That's their argument? That's laughable at best... and idiotic at worst. Whether the hair is in a bun or a ponytail, they're still gonna be female... hell it's not like a bun makes women look like guys anyway, especially in the military.

you know what.... I"m not as familiar with Army as I am with AF (my bestie is a Captain with them) and I knew quiet a few Marines- i still don't remember ever seeing anyone get their stones busted for having their hair in pony tails- and we were surrounded by people in the military. Hmmm- it's been a while- I'll have to ask around.  

seriously sounds like she has an issue- I'd figure out who she is then blast her fat ass about being rude. 

I can say the same, so long as you weren't in uniform I don't recall any ponytails getting hollered at. I worked with plenty of female Marines as well.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

AR 670-1, 1–8. Hair and fingernail standards and grooming policies

(3) Female haircuts will conform to the following standards.

(a) Females will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any hair- holding devices comply with the standards in 1–8a(3)(d) below. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the physical fitness uniform/improved physical fitness uniform (PFU/IPFU).

(b.) Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized; however, these additions must have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions, hairpieces, or weaves must comply with the grooming policies set forth in this paragraph.

(c.) Females will ensure that hairstyles do not interfere with proper wear of military headgear and protective masks or equipment at any time (see 1–8a(1)(a), above). When headgear is worn, the hair will not extend below the bottom edge of the front of the headgear, nor will it extend below the bottom edge of the collar.

(d) Hair-holding devices are authorized only for the purpose of securing the hair. Soldiers will not place hair- holding devices in the hair for decorative purposes. All hair-holding devices must be plain and of a color as close to the soldier’s hair as is possible or clear. Authorized devices include, but are not limited to, small, plain scrunchies (elastic hair bands covered with material), barrettes, combs, pins, clips, rubber bands, and hair bands. Devices that are conspicuous, excessive, or decorative are prohibited. Some examples of prohibited devices include, but are not limited to, large, lacy scrunchies; beads, bows, or claw clips; clips, pins, or barrettes with butterflies, flowers, sparkles, gems, or scalloped edges; and bows made from hairpieces.

(e) Soldiers may not wear hairnets unless they are required for health or safety reasons, or in the performance of duties (such as those of a cook). No other type of hair covering is authorized in lieu of the hairnet. The commander will provide the hairnet to the soldier at no cost.

And that's just one part of my life as a female in the Army :tongue:

Keep up the momentum!

That... say what? That's their argument? That's laughable at best... and idiotic at worst. Whether the hair is in a bun or a ponytail, they're still gonna be female... hell it's not like a bun makes women look like guys anyway, especially in the military.

I can say the same, so long as you weren't in uniform I don't recall any ponytails getting hollered at. I worked with plenty of female Marines as well.

That much is true. Unfortunately, PT is conducted in the APFU 99% of the time. Occasionally, a commander will do some kind of "family run" (basically a bring your spouse/kid to PT day) and authorize civilian clothes to be worn. I've only personally seen it happen once in 6 years, and since I didn't have a spouse or kids to bring, I still had to come in APFUs. X-D

Keep up the momentum!

" Can I touch your hair?"

- Only thing more annoying is when they just touch it. Drunk girls love randomly touching my hair.

"Is your hair naturally curly?!"

- No, I take 2 hours each morning

"Are those grey hairs?! But you're so young!"

- Yes, they are. Yes I am.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

I'm severely gluten intolerant and always get asked about it. Some people are genuinely curious and I'm always happy to explain how I eat to them and the ins and outs of a gluten and grain-free lifestyle. 

Others though... the question I always get asked if "Oh but how can you live without bread/pasta/beer/etc?" swiftly followed by "Don't you miss them?" and "How can you even eat then?!", as if ordering a chicken salad at lunch rather than a chicken sandwich is a simply alien concept. I try to explain to them that while I sometimes get mild cravings when I smell freshly buttered toast or hot tomatoey pasta, for example, I know what eating them will do to my body and the very idea of the repercussions I will suffer is enough to allay any cravings. This is usually followed by "Oh surely it can't be that bad, you need to eat this stuff to have a healthy, balanced diet". I'd rather not go into the intimate details of the acid reflux, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and other fun side effects but if you insist...

So been getting this one every so often.

"You can't do that in the military."

Yeah no kidding, I'm aware that I'm going to be giving up a lot of things when I ship out for basic. I'm also aware of the fact that I have a few bad habits that aren't going to be tolerated either. 

YOU DON"T NEED TO TELL ME THAT.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."