Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Have you seen the TV show Secret Eaters? They take people who "Just can't lose weight, despite eating healthy and doing exercise", get them to complete a food diary for a week, and then film them for the following week. It's amazing the difference between what people THINK the eat, and what they ACTUALLY eat.

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

My mother-in-law is always trying to lecture my wife and I on fiber in our diets. She's OBSESSED with fiber. My wife and I are Vegan, and about 60% of our diets is raw foods... HOW MUCH MORE FIBER SHOULD I BE GETTING? HUH???

• Like 3

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Anyway I called her on this women's magazine booklet " the quick fix" diet lose two dress sizes in 10 days type BS. She retorts with, well when you stop this exercise and diet nonsense you'll get twice as big as you were, it always happens. My reply was it is now my lifestyle and not a fad

Yeah... proper response to that one is.  "Yes, that's the whole damn point.  it's a lifestyle change".  Anyone that doesn't approach it with that mentality and the goal of creating sustainable change, WILL fail over the long term.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I don't know CK, are you drinking enough prune juice???? :highly_amused:  :highly_amused: 

Fun fact: The (ahem) effects of prune juice come not from it's fiber content (most juices contain very little fiber), but from the fact that it is high in sorbitol, a sugar alcohol. And as you know, sugar alcohols taken in excess can cause (ahem) effects.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

• Like 4

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I know people say such things because they feel unsecure, but it's overwhelming sometimes (why do you workout if you're so skinny, are you sure you're eating enough, OMG you're SO skinny!...).

As a skinny girl I've been exposed to many many hurtful comments since my chilhood, starting with my own mom, who was obsessed with my weight, made me visit dozens of doctors and forbade me to do sports while growing up because that was for fat people. I remember she once told me off because she saw me drinking a glass of water when I had just got up: what are you doing!! You're gonna loose weight!! Water before breakfast is for fat people!

The one that bothered me most, aside from the "you are so skinny, do you eat?" (not at all, I am ethereal creature feeding itself with air and sunlight) is the sooooo repeated one: "If you'd come to live with me, I'd make you fatter in only 2 weeks". I cannot say how many times I've heard something like that.

Once I was at work and there were two old ladies, who where always telling me things like "oh, you're wearing yellow today, it makes you so pale, don't use yellow anymore, it doesn't work with thin people, it eats them", or the more traditional one "there would be place in me for three of you", or -I hate this one- "let's make a deal, I'll give you half of my weight", and once I was sooooo angry I answered "you know, the problem is, my boyfriend loves sex so much we spend the whole day having sex and this is so consuming, that's why I'm so thin, I should do something about it, any advise?" They didn't talk to me again, but it felt great.

• Like 3

I know people say such things because they feel unsecure, but it's overwhelming sometimes (why do you workout if you're so skinny, are you sure you're eating enough, OMG you're SO skinny!...).

As a skinny girl I've been exposed to many many hurtful comments since my chilhood, starting with my own mom, who was obsessed with my weight, made me visit dozens of doctors and forbade me to do sports while growing up because that was for fat people. I remember she once told me off because she saw me drinking a glass of water when I had just got up: what are you doing!! You're gonna loose weight!! Water before breakfast is for fat people!

The one that bothered me most, aside from the "you are so skinny, do you eat?" (not at all, I am ethereal creature feeding itself with air and sunlight) is the sooooo repeated one: "If you'd come to live with me, I'd make you fatter in only 2 weeks". I cannot say how many times I've heard something like that.

Once I was at work and there were two old ladies, who where always telling me things like "oh, you're wearing yellow today, it makes you so pale, don't use yellow anymore, it doesn't work with thin people, it eats them", or the more traditional one "there would be place in me for three of you", or -I hate this one- "let's make a deal, I'll give you half of my weight", and once I was sooooo angry I answered "you know, the problem is, my boyfriend loves sex so much we spend the whole day having sex and this is so consuming, that's why I'm so thin, I should do something about it, any advise?" They didn't talk to me again, but it felt great.

People are sometimes stupid, but ever since anorexia hit the mainstream media, people automatically assume that a skinny girl or woman must be anorexic. They never think to check for the OTHER signs of anorexia, like cold clammy skin, sleeplessness, tendency to faint, etc. You know, the stuff that indicates a general state of weakness.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

OK, so I don't hear this all the time but it's so stupid that it's going to ring in my ears until the day I die. From a website so ridiculous it MUST be an elaborate satirical hoax of some sort I give you the following: "There are millions of children born with "New World" DNA that are being diagnosed with mitochondrial disease. They must breath nitrogen rather than oxygen".

It's official, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

People are sometimes stupid, but ever since anorexia hit the mainstream media, people automatically assume that a skinny girl or woman must be anorexic. They never think to check for the OTHER signs of anorexia, like cold clammy skin, sleeplessness, tendency to faint, etc. You know, the stuff that indicates a general state of weakness.

Anorexia and bulimia have been my nightmare. I mean, I've never had an eating disorder but everybody was anxious to put me in that circle. Worst of all: doctors. Oh, hell, it seemed they were payed for every anorexic they'd discover. Every time I went to the doctor, here it comes, the whole interrogation :nightmare:

• Like 1

OK, so I don't hear this all the time but it's so stupid that it's going to ring in my ears until the day I die. From a website so ridiculous it MUST be an elaborate satirical hoax of some sort I give you the following: "There are millions of children born with "New World" DNA that are being diagnosed with mitochondrial disease. They must breath nitrogen rather than oxygen".

It's official, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

You sure that wasn't The Onion? They are all about making stuff up for a laugh.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I really wish it was The Onion, those dudes are awesome. But no, it comes from here: www.bretharian.com (tried to post the whole link for the article but I can't paste into the text box for some reason). Apparently this is a movement based on the idea that humans can subsist on air and light if they try hard enough.

Battle Log:

I really wish it was The Onion, those dudes are awesome. But no, it comes from here: www.bretharian.com (tried to post the whole link for the article but I can't paste into the text box for some reason). Apparently this is a movement based on the idea that humans can subsist on air and light if they try hard enough.

Oook...Talk about air heads...rimshot.gif

• Like 3

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

To clarify, I'm not an expert on this lol. But I'm pretty sure it involves "cosmic frequencies" and/or "harmonic resonance" and almost certainly "quantum".

Seriously though that website is full of fun stuff for helpful weight loss including that it's fine to eat at McDonalds because they are all constructed in such a way as to ensure they are protected by five dimensional energy spirits....or something.

And yes, people believe in this stuff by all accounts.

Battle Log:

I've heard these folks come up every now and then on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, when one of their followers starves themselves to death.

Freaking cults.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

To clarify, I'm not an expert on this lol. But I'm pretty sure it involves "cosmic frequencies" and/or "harmonic resonance" and almost certainly "quantum".

Seriously though that website is full of fun stuff for helpful weight loss including that it's fine to eat at McDonalds because they are all constructed in such a way as to ensure they are protected by five dimensional energy spirits....or something.

And yes, people believe in this stuff by all accounts.

They sound like the guys who we're selling the immortality rings a few years back. There really are a lot of these sorts of people out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

My cousin texted me last night complaining about how she just broke her new diet. She has struggled with food allergies for years (gluten, soy, dyes, etc) and now believes it's dairy as well. She complained about eating cheese and sour cream and I just wrote back, "If it makes you sick, don't eat it". She said she had an almost immediate reaction to the dairy ("more mucus" according to her). If I had an immediate negative reaction to food, I'd put it down. Smh.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I noticed something irritating recently.

Now when I lost 17kg in 4 months, more and more people have started giving me advices to what I should do for exercise and what I should eat.

Come on guys, isn't it obvious that I have it figured out? 

Surprisingly (or not surprisingly actually) almost no one is asking me for advice. And I am not offering it unsolicited (knowing how irritating that can be).

But whenever someone starts telling me about certain nutrition or exercise stuff, I don't negate or dispute their advice or method, I don't give my direct advice, I simply tell them what I do. If they criticize it, my reply is simply "well it works for me".

• Like 3

Now when I lost 17kg in 4 months, more and more people have started giving me advices to what I should do for exercise and what I should eat.

Surprisingly (or not surprisingly actually) almost no one is asking me for advice. And I am not offering it unsolicited (knowing how irritating that can be).

But whenever someone starts telling me about certain nutrition or exercise stuff, I don't negate or dispute their advice or method, I don't give my direct advice, I simply tell them what I do. If they criticize it, my reply is simply "well it works for me".

I had that yesterday, I'm sure I looked like a bobble head, the advise they were trying to give me sounded like a crock, so I just smile and nod my bobble head!

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Conversely, when I get into discussions about health or fitness or MMA or exercise, I get a lot of responses that can probably be shorthanded to "You don't know what you're talking about, because you're fat."  This irks me, because I've lost 70+ pounds and I've gotten into ENORMOUSLY better shape than I once was in. I'm not there YET, though, so CLEARLY I don't know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 5

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

You would think they would be asking you how, but everyone is an expert when it comes to nutrition.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss