Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Conversely, when I get into discussions about health or fitness or MMA or exercise, I get a lot of responses that can probably be shorthanded to "You don't know what you're talking about, because you're fat."  This irks me, because I've lost 70+ pounds and I've gotten into ENORMOUSLY better shape than I once was in. I'm not there YET, though, so CLEARLY I don't know what I'm talking about. 

I know one fat girl (approx 100kg) who is in better condition than 90% of "regular sized" people. But she is fat so people underestimate her. 

You would think they would be asking you how, but everyone is an expert when it comes to nutrition.

I love when someone claims stuff like "water with squeezed lemon every morning on empty stomach will burn fat". :D

But no point in arguing, it will not be succesful and such arguments will just irritate people.

Let them think whatever they want.

Conversely, when I get into discussions about health or fitness or MMA or exercise, I get a lot of responses that can probably be shorthanded to "You don't know what you're talking about, because you're fat."  This irks me, because I've lost 70+ pounds and I've gotten into ENORMOUSLY better shape than I once was in. I'm not there YET, though, so CLEARLY I don't know what I'm talking about. 

This really irks me.  I get a variation of the same.  All the time people tell me how I should exercise for my injuries, usually by people who have no concept of what those injuries actually are, or how they effect me.  I've been working towards recovery for two and a half years, learning what my body can and cannot do, pushing those boundaries, and doing a bloody good job of it thank you very much!  What makes you think you can have any grasp of what would be good for me based on 30 seconds consideration?  Grrrrrrr!   >:(

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Conversely, when I get into discussions about health or fitness or MMA or exercise, I get a lot of responses that can probably be shorthanded to "You don't know what you're talking about, because you're fat." This irks me, because I've lost 70+ pounds and I've gotten into ENORMOUSLY better shape than I once was in. I'm not there YET, though, so CLEARLY I don't know what I'm talking about.

I get this often... I'll be talking about this hike I did or that one... or this bike trail or that one... and people will be like "YOU did that??? How could you do that???"

And I get "what do YOU know about that?" (Which is often accompanied by a look up and down)

Sigh

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I get this often... I'll be talking about this hike I did or that one... or this bike trail or that one... and people will be like "YOU did that??? How could you do that???"

And I get "what do YOU know about that?" (Which is often accompanied by a look up and down)

Sigh

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Possible snarky response:

1- About as much as you know about tact.

2- My anatomical proportions have no bearing on my cognitive capabalities.

3- A lot! I need the extra storage space for my gigantic brain!

That's all I got for now. Take your pick!

• Like 5

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Possible snarky response:

1- About as much as you know about tact.

2- My anatomical proportions have no bearing on my cognitive capabalities.

3- A lot! I need the extra storage space for my gigantic brain!

That's all I got for now. Take your pick!

I usually just pull out my phone and show them a photo of me doing said outrageous thing... 

and then watch them pick their jaws up off the floor ;)

• Like 4

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

You would think they would be asking you how, but everyone is an expert when it comes to nutrition.

Some of my coworkers have seen the results I have gotten and actually do ask what they should do. Except when they find out that it wasn't some simple trick they're like "Oh....ok" and walk away all deflated. Good news though! My boss is actually making the changes bit by bit!

• Like 1

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

I know people say such things because they feel unsecure, but it's overwhelming sometimes (why do you workout if you're so skinny, are you sure you're eating enough, OMG you're SO skinny!...).

As a skinny girl I've been exposed to many many hurtful comments since my childhood, starting with my own mom, who was obsessed with my weight, made me visit dozens of doctors and forbade me to do sports while growing up because that was for fat people. I remember she once told me off because she saw me drinking a glass of water when I had just got up: what are you doing!! You're gonna loose weight!! Water before breakfast is for fat people!

I admit I have used this before.  I actually said at one point "OMG, you actually gained weight!" (or something similar)   

I later found that the girl would actually 'forget' to eat at times, because she was busy living, but she would eat enough to sustain her body, the only weight she has is muscle, and I am sure if she is a lot stronger and healthier that 98% of the people that tell her she needs to eat more.

I know from her talking to others about stuff that she is missing a few nutrients and she has talked about taking supplements for some of those, if she found the natural foods for those and started lifting she would be an unstoppable force.   Maybe when she visits I should direct her here and MarksDailyApple or some books.

She's hot, and going to law school.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

She's hot, and going to law school.

That... is a nice combination. :highly_amused:

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

"Why do you work out? youre so skinny." -----hmm maybe to be healthy. shocker, i know. Apparently being naturally thin means it's an excuse to be a couch potato and not lift a finger. 

"Why are you watching what you eat? youre already skinny"---- maybe i don't want to fill my body full of crappy processed food that you are unable to pronounce. Oh yeah and because mcdonalds is freaking disgusting.

Being skinny is attractive in the States. It makes you look young and cute, and since 75% of the United States is overweight (according to http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A897?lang=en), just being skinny is already being on the top healthiest and slimmest 25%.

Of course, being skinny is not healthy either. It also means you're weak, frail and catch diseases easily. But most people have probably given up on finding actually muscular people, so they just settle for the second best thing.

Being skinny is attractive in the States. It makes you look young and cute, and since 75% of the United States is overweight (according to http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A897?lang=en), just being skinny is already being on the top healthiest and slimmest 25%.

Of course, being skinny is not healthy either. It also means you're weak, frail and catch diseases easily. But most people have probably given up on finding actually muscular people, so they just settle for the second best thing.

Being skinny does not indicate one way or the other someone is unhealthy. If you are naturally skinny with a regular diet you are probably healthy. Only when people force themselves to be skinny with extreme calorie restriction can it become unhealthy.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

At the beginning of my weight loss journey my co-workers were very supportive - almost patronising TBH, however when I had really slimmed down and began to develop an athletic physique, their comments became less supportive and somewhat more snarky. The labels 'health freak' and 'gym nut' are applied to me almost daily - I grin and bear it because I know those comments stem from envy and jealousy, not true disapproval.

• Like 9

At the beginning of my weight loss journey my co-workers were very supportive - almost patronising TBH, however when I had really slimmed down and began to develop an athletic physique, their comments became less supportive and somewhat more snarky. The labels 'health freak' and 'gym nut' are applied to me almost daily - I grin and bear it because I know those comments stem from envy and jealousy, not true disapproval.

Eventually you'll get steroid comments. Those are really fun. :)

• Like 3

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

working this weekend with the one girl who EVERY TIME she sees me (even if it's only been 20 minutes) says "oh look it's the disapearing woman!"

I know it's just because she is super proud of me... but it gets annoying!

• Like 1

Spoiler

working this weekend with the one girl who EVERY TIME she sees me (even if it's only been 20 minutes) says "oh look it's the disapearing woman!"

I know it's just because she is super proud of me... but it gets annoying!

Wow- really? every time?

I would say something about that- once is one thing- every time?  yeah no- I'd say something.   Rude- gurl- rude.  

she's just like SUPER excited... and probably the first six times that I see her every day she is just like "I can't believe it every time I see you it looks like you've lost another 20#" and she is all smiley and excited... so I feel bad to say something about it...

Spoiler

'See, what you want to do is...' (Usually followed by conventional weight loss advice, like 'high reps, low weight. You know...so you don't get bulky.')

Thank you, but your goals for me and my goals for me are two very different things.

'See, what you want to do is...' (Usually followed by conventional weight loss advice, like 'high reps, low weight. You know...so you don't get bulky.')

Thank you, but your goals for me and my goals for me are two very different things.

From somebody super fit, no doubt?

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Yesterday evening on let's call it a "date".

She knows that I am living healthy and still trying to lose some weight.

She:

- Come on, don't order a tea, drink a beer, you must have some cheat days

- (after explaining to her that I am at a calorie limit for that day already) - Counting calories? Are you a man or a girl?

- Let's order another beer... You don't want it? Hey, what kind of man are you?

- Let's go to McD and eat something

:D

(she pushed me to drink 2 beers, not 3 although she tried, also did not manage to push me to eat fast food)

• Like 5

I've got one that has really been bugging me lately. My partner has a little over 10 months of sobriety which is a great thing. But she's had several people ask her if she's sure she is "really an alcoholic" and "maybe she can drink again someday."

Jiminy H. Cricket, some people just need a smack...

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss