Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Have had a couple of friends that I knew in the past that had rosacea or something like that.  One was a guy, and people always said it only happened when he hadn't showered in a while, it would always break out for a couple of days and then go away, regardless of what he did, and since i lived on the streets at the time I didn't really care.

The other friend I had was a girl that I worked with, It surfaced when she was in the sun, and since she was a redhead she would burn easily too.  none of us really cared, we just thought it sucked that she wouldn't come out during lunch at first on sunny days, she was always fun to talk too.

My solution:

"You have a solution?  Here is mine, with my fist in your face you can't see so it shouldn't bother you."  :beaten:

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

It's not about eating meat or not. If you don't eat meat, they'll tell you to eat it. If they see you eating meat, then they will say it is awful, you're eating too much meat. People love to criticize, and they absolutely know what is best for you anytime, they have all the solutions (except for themselves). That woman at work, I'm sure she things she knows what you need.

I guess that How I met your mother scene fits pretty good ;-)

post-14208-I-m-a-vegan-I-wish-I-could-tu

• Like 6

Level 1 - assassin

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

Current Challenge: maenumania learns the secrets of spiderman

Battle Log: We are the hero of our story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Archive: #1 - Let's kill those rats and spider!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember nothing is true.
Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember everything is permitted.
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are the Assassins.

I've got one that has really been bugging me lately. My partner has a little over 10 months of sobriety which is a great thing. But she's had several people ask her if she's sure she is "really an alcoholic" and "maybe she can drink again someday."

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Punch them in the genitals.

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

My wife loves beer and carpentry, I love writing poetry and cooking.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!

I believe these are complementary qualities.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I'm glad YOU said that. ^^^^^^^ Do that

I have five relatives who are alcoholics. It's not something you mess around with.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Not exactly something I hear all the time, I'm a Brit, you just don't get proselytising religious types around here (though there are other ways of proselytising, hence me mentioning it here) and yet this happened:

Me in town desperately trying to remember That One Thing I set off to do (turns out it was get new photos for some ID; I forgot until I got home): *is frowning vaguely in a random direction, standing still out of the way of foot traffic*
*does not realise she's looking at someone holding leaflets*
Leaflet Man: "Hello young miss, are you interested in Jesus?"
Me: *cannot believe that the 'Have you considered welcoming Jesus into your life' joke/meme/cliche is actually real/was so close to verbatim* "No, not really."

A cultural aside: the image of the very polite Brit is actually mostly real, and when you're approached in the street you're either stuck talking to them briefly (about three or four seconds) or blatantly (and very rudely) ignoring them; most people go for the 'Excuse me, are you busy?', 'yes, sorry', 'well take this leaflet' 'thank you' approach as to the people on both sides approaching strangers for a chat is very strange. This isn't as true in the bigger cities or more metropolitan areas as it is in the more rural/smaller cities/towns/villages areas, but it's still fairly universal. Hence the endless apologies you'll find Brits uttering when in public.

Additionally it Really Isn't Done to speak about religion or even politics beyond a petition or something when you're on the streets unless it's That Time of Year, in which case there are easily avoidable displays. But even so religion isn't . . . well, it's fairly low key. IN MY EXPERIENCE.

I'm saying this as someone who, like most children who went to a non-obviously religious Primary school (i.e. one that said R.C/C of E/Roman Catholic in the name) pre-2000, went to a school where there was a hymn practice every week, where once a week there was an assembly with a vicar speaking and we said the Lord's Prayer. C of E. And like most children those things were ingrained into my brain even though most children probably weren't religious in the slightest. Hell, I didn't even know one of my best friends went to Church and Sunday School every single Sunday like clockwork until I had a sleepover at hers. Sunday School is so awkward when you've openly been saying you didn't believe in God/that sort of things for about as long as you can remember.

But nonetheless the usual religious tolerance ensued where it's actually a bit more like apathy, possibly combined with a feeling of obligation for some people. A happy athiest, I still enjoyed being the narrator of our school nativity reading/concert; most of my class watched the show The Storykeepers and we talked about it, but more for the framing device about religious persecution and the Romans Who Were So Cool, But Not As Cool As Vikings than the parables and things. The general approach to religion for me and most people I know can be summed up as "Oh, that's nice/interesting" followed by an inquiry into something you vaguely know about that religion/spiritual belief/idea, and then likely swiftly moving on. There's a small joke that the C of E's main religious tenet is raising enough money to repair the church roof/some local good cause/charity and that even if a rabid person with a bomb walked in proclaiming [THING] the vicar would calmly sit them down and offer them a tea and biscuit.

So after my comment of "No, not really," I was expecting to be able to say 'Excuse me' and then leave (in fact, being socially anxious and very shy I was feeling joyful about it as one: I don't like talking to strangers and two: religion is kind of a tricky subject at the best of time). Instead . . .

Leaflet Man: "Well in [some verse] it's said that [something about going to Hell for being an unbeliever] and it's a grave sin to not be Christian, what about the state of your eternal soul?!"

Me: *realises there's no way out of this without causing an argument, a scene or being trapped forever listening to proselytising* "I'm sorry, but I have to be going now, I have an appoint - " I even hold out my hand automatically to take the leaflet.

LM: "So you're not concerned about your eternal soul?"

Me: *oh dear God, no, he's not going to let me go* "I'm sorry, but I'm uncomfortable talking about - "

LM: *stuff about souls and Christ and God and the Bible and the like*

Me: *desperately casting around for outside aid*

All this time LM's voice is getting a little louder and he has an oddly earnest expression on his face, I can clearly tell that he's honestly concerned for me, but just as clearly see that he's not aware of how intimidating he is, or that he's starting to Make A Scene. Several times I try to speak or even walk away (just a few side steps) and he follows. People are watching with mixed emotions and I can tell half of them are on the verge of stepping in, I see one man reach into his pocket, presumably for his phone. I'm on the verge of turning tail and running when a random stranger walks up.

RS: "Annie, there you are! We were meant to meet five minutes ago, I've been worried, come on, let's go."

Me: "I'm sorry Mark, I was held up." And then we walked off, with LM making the final retort of

LM: "I hope you intend to marry or you're both going to Hell."

Me and RS: *speechless*

Me: "Thanks."

We dart around a corner and RS explains that he was concerned for my safety, I think he may have wanted to get to know me better, but I really wasn't in for more talking or people or anything at that point.

Me ten minutes later: *shaking a little and shocked*

Let me make this clear: I am not bashing religion or any form of ideology, I am specifically talking about anyone who tries to force their beliefs, ideas and whatnots on people who clearly don't want to listen to you, talk to you and so on. Frankly, what you believe is what you believe and I'm usually content to leave it at that, or at least as an awkward elephant in the room - of course there are exceptions, but we will not discuss them or anything like that.

I'm just pointing out that there are a surprising amount of [insert idea] Bashers around, especially on the internet who can be very rude and yes, annoying.

And it's even worse when you make people worried for their own/other's safety.

But even without the more worrying persistence of LM he should have just left me alone after my second polite attempt to get away.

Dear People Who Have Ideas, Causes or Beliefs etc. (Meaning Most People),

If someone's not interested right then, they're not interested; feel free to give them a leaflet or recommend a website or a book or something, but for God's sake, don't hound them about [thing], it's only more likely to make them react negatively about [thing]. And please, don't make a scene or react in such a way as to make people worry about their/someone's safety. You're not helping your cause.

Sincerely,

A Person Who Has Her Own Beliefs, Ideas and Thought, But Doesn't Force Them On People (Usually). :grumpy:

On a less polarising note:

Popped into a pound shop (everything in it is a pound or x [item] for a pound) to pick up several multipacks of sweets, crisps and things while running errands for three separate households (disabled, elderly and infirm neighbours, most of whom are on pensions), in total I probably grabbed about £12 worth of treats and snacks or about seventy separate items of chocolate bars, crisps and biscuits. I also know for a fact that one of the neighbours I run errands actually splits all her shopping with another friend of hers meaning these seventy items are going to be the snacks and treats for four households, or ten people (not including visitors), for a fortnight.

I walk out of the shop with two full bags of things and two Skinny Orange Tanned Girls are outside smoking. One says to the other, "Oh, look at her, no wonder she's such a fat slut; bet she'll eat all of those in one night."

Me: *quiet rage*

Am I fat? Yeah, I'm probably still about a stone and a half (twenty-one pounds) above the weight I currently want to be (~133 pounds/nine and a half stone), and frankly, the clothing I was wearing was my "As soon as I get home after this six or more mile round trip carrying a lot of bulky shopping I'm doing a BBWW, deep cleaning with some heavy/awkward lifting, then about ninety minutes later going on a 'power walk' to a ninety minute T'ai Chi class and then walking back' clothes. Also know as the I Can't Be Bothered Getting Dressed clothes. Also know as 'smart black track suit bottoms and the first t-shirt I can grab'. Not my most flattering clothes, but not anything that actually makes me look fat; though admittedly the t-shirt I was (and still am) wearing has a pattern across the bust that probably makes my boobs look a little bigger than they are.

In other words, I probably looked like any slightly/moderately overweight person carrying awkward bags of groceries after a lot of walking and The Above Confrontation. In order words, a little flushed, sweaty with messed up hair and glasses whose frames were sitting a little lopsided on the nose.

Judgemental idiots. And they said it loudly.

Even worse, or perhaps just amusingly, I found myself picking at their logic. Fat =/= slut. At what point does weight issues interlink with sex shaming?

I also know they were saying it deliberately in order to hurt (they were smirking in my general direction) so I did as I usually did when I was bullied in school (actually I was surprised to hear that I was bullied in school, I usually just ignored it) and walked on past. And I didn't even think anything derogatory about them aside from what I had deduced from what they'd said.

They'd probably had a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone else. Or have fun.

Idiots.

• Like 4

Reboot complete.

Level 0 Hobbit

Intro ¦

]"When all treasures are tried . . . truth is the fairest." - Langland

A lot of stuff that would take up a lot of room if I quoted it

As someone who falls into the category of what you would call a Christian, I fervently wish that individuals who engage in that sort of behavior realized that

1. they're doing more harm than good and

2. that is distinctly NOT the way followers of Christ are instructed to demonstrate their faith to the world

It angers me.

Another thing that angers me is people who attempt to use their words to harm those around them. It causes me great internal conflict, as the ensuing desire to inflict physical pain is at odds with the faith that I follow.

• Like 3

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

As someone who falls into the category of what you would call a Christian, I fervently wish that individuals who engage in that sort of behavior realized that

1. they're doing more harm than good and

2. that is distinctly NOT the way followers of Christ are instructed to demonstrate their faith to the world

It angers me.

Another thing that angers me is people who attempt to use their words to harm those around them. It causes me great internal conflict, as the ensuing desire to inflict physical pain is at odds with the faith that I follow.

I have no problem with people who do things differently from me (well, maybe I do go a little grammar Nazi at times or become a little pedantic about certain things); my general rule of thumb is this: 'as long as you're not causing anyone or anything distress in any way (physical, emotional, psychological and so on), it's consensual and (usually) legal I'm fine with it, or at least not going to say anything about it'.

I know many people who hold views different from my own or even directly opposing my own; I'm cool with it, they're mostly cool with it. Sometimes we'll mutually egg each other on and have a debate/argument about it.

Just don't. Push.

Unless of course, you have sincere reason to be concerned for my quality of life in some form.

It upsets me quite a bit to see [insert religious type/insert ideology here/whatever, but for the sake of it we'll go with Christian(s) because he was the person causing me distress and pushing my buttons] do this sort of thing. I happen to respect (most) Christians, or at least don't particularly disrespect most Christians. You have a code of conduct you try to live to, I have mine. Why we do what we do is our own personal choice. And it should be. I consider myself pretty open minded, I'm aware that I'm not as culturally/spiritually/socially/whatever open or aware as I could be because I have lived a relatively sheltered, one-note world. I was eighteen before I met someone whom I knew was actually Jewish, eighteen by the time I met someone who was Indian (and spoke to them) and semi-Hindu and so on and so forth.

I'm a fan of mixing things up and integration and all that jazz. Christ, I live in a world where I can dork out about medieval theology and talk about with people who are Christians, actual theologians, atheists, agnostics, technically Anglican/Hindu, Jewish and so on. I think that's cool.

But pushing things isn't.

Do I have some issues with aspects of Christianity? Yeah. And with aspects of Judaism, Islam, Scientology, Jainism, Taoism, atheism, vegetarianism, veganism, Paeleo, Primal, cardio endorsers, free weight endorsers, mathematics, science, literature, feminism and all the things. Mostly. I mean, everything has good and bad points, If we can discuss them civilly that's fine, I might even try out a few things (I went to Church a few times with different friends; I've tried vegan meals and other things, admittedly mostly in debates and conversations). Just don't push okay?

Free will: it exists, let me exercise it.

Oh, one thing I will never budge on: Thomas Hardy writes almost universally unrelentingly miserable, hateful, depressing literature that should be avoided at all cost. And even then sometimes his descriptions of the environment are gorgeous. Even so Jude the Obscure is just terrible.

Good grief I ramble a lot.

That's something annoying too: people who ramble. Sorry.

• Like 1

Reboot complete.

Level 0 Hobbit

Intro ¦

]"When all treasures are tried . . . truth is the fairest." - Langland

Oh, I could imagine. X.x What condition?

I got psoriasis. Don't google image it if you are eating or are the squeamish sort.

But people keep telling about their friend's relative's child who was cured after doing/eating [insert item/treatment/product]. Thereafter, a 90% chance that said person cured had eczema/ringworm/fungus/hives/whatnotyou.

I particularly dislike the suggestions which are topical (i.e. treatment applied on the skin) since their secret ingredient is almost always unregulated/unlisted steroids or involve some sort of faith healer or bomoh (i.e. witchdoctor).

On an unrelated note, I remember one doctor telling me two things:

1. Even a blind dermatologist can tell you that this is psoriasis.

2. Don't think of the condition as a sin/punishment from God or that it is your fault (I said nothing to prompt this line mind you).

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

Not exactly something I hear all the time, I'm a Brit, you just don't get proselytising religious types around here (though there are other ways of proselytising, hence me mentioning it here) and yet this happened:

1911627_768477596496554_610319544_n.jpg

• Like 6

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Dear People Who Have Ideas, Causes or Beliefs etc. (Meaning Most People),

If someone's not interested right then, they're not interested; feel free to give them a leaflet or recommend a website or a book or something, but for God's sake, don't hound them about [thing], it's only more likely to make them react negatively about [thing]. And please, don't make a scene or react in such a way as to make people worry about their/someone's safety. You're not helping your cause.

My theory about some of these types is that they're not actually interested in furthering their cause or spreading their version of what they reckon is the truth.  I think what at least some of them are really in it for is the spiritual brownie points that they think they're earning for themselves.  It's not about saving your soul or my soul (according to their view) but saving their own.  They "tried" (albeit in a bizarre and vaguely threatening and ultimately hopeless and self-defeating way) to convert you, but you didn't listen.  That's your decision, but they think they get the missionary heaven angel-points nevertheless.  It's the only explanation that I've come up with that makes sense.

I used to think more kindly of unsolicited aggressive, intrusive evangelical types - at least they're trying to (according to their own beliefs) help others.  But now after various encounters over the years, I'm much less forgiving of any kind of preaching that's in any way abusive, rude, threatening, confrontational or intrusive.  Having said that, I've had plenty of conversations that have ended perfectly civilly with ""I'm happy with humanism, thank you".

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I got psoriasis. Don't google image it if you are eating or are the squeamish sort.

But people keep telling about their friend's relative's child who was cured after doing/eating [insert item/treatment/product]. Thereafter, a 90% chance that said person cured had eczema/ringworm/fungus/hives/whatnotyou.

I particularly dislike the suggestions which are topical (i.e. treatment applied on the skin) since their secret ingredient is almost always unregulated/unlisted steroids or involve some sort of faith healer or bomoh (i.e. witchdoctor).

On an unrelated note, I remember one doctor telling me two things:

1. Even a blind dermatologist can tell you that this is psoriasis.

2. Don't think of the condition as a sin/punishment from God or that it is your fault (I said nothing to prompt this line mind you).

I hate being told NO.

The combination of these two means that I googled psoriasis. I've known people who had it and seen it before. However, I was unprepared for the amount of "psoriasis outbreaks on my vagina or other nether regions" pictures on google. Good thing I googled that at work.... doh :grey:

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The combination of these two means that I googled psoriasis. I've known people who had it and seen it before. However, I was unprepared for the amount of "psoriasis outbreaks on my vagina or other nether regions" pictures on google. Good thing I googled that at work.... doh :grey:

After blue waffle, anytime I see "Don't Google *insert item here* " on a forum, or website, I wait till I get home...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

After blue waffle, anytime I see "Don't Google *insert item here* " on a forum, or website, I wait till I get home...

I prefer my approach. I just don't google :P

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

This is what we call a "teachable moment".

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I prefer my approach. I just don't google :tongue:

If I was a cat... curiosity would have killed me numerous times... I can't NOT look for things, no matter how much I might regret looking em up...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

If I was a cat... curiosity would have killed me numerous times... I can't NOT look for things, no matter how much I might regret looking em up...

I learned swiftly, via online interactions with individuals who may or may not have been affiliated with 4chan, that sometimes curiosity must be suppressed, for the greater good.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.