Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!! WOMEN FOLK PLEASE DO NOT UNITE AGAINST ME AND END MY EXISTANCE!!!!!!!!!! I AM KIDDING I AGREE WITH YOU 100097235097230579230857325%ABOUT HOW STUPID THE TOY SEPERATION IS.

Cool your jets, bro, it's far, FAR more likely for men to perpetrate violence against other men.

Like seriously this is a thing I see ALL THE TIME in discussions about sexism when some dudebro goes "OH DON'T KILL ME BUT HERE IS MY POOR LITTLE MALE OPINION" and it's like, yeah, because men are totally the ones that have a long history of being victims of violence for the crime of having opinions.  OH wait no that's women.

Bonus - this is super annoying, so hey correct thread!

Butts.

I've always been surprised at these kind of comments. I always thought they would be made by jerks who don't know anything about fitness, but last saturday I was talking with my boyfriend's brother about my new fitness plans (he does a lot of exercise himself and it's very fit) and I was more than puzzled when the first two things he said were:

1) But you already do tapdance, that's enough for you.

2) Bodyweight training? But you are going to bulk up, and that is not beautiful in a woman.

Argh.

I'm sorry, he said BODYWEIGHT training will make you bulk up? That's a new one.

The moral of this story is that doing a lot of exercise does not make you knowledgeable about fitness.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Cool your jets, bro, it's far, FAR more likely for men to perpetrate violence against other men.

Like seriously this is a thing I see ALL THE TIME in discussions about sexism when some dudebro goes "OH DON'T KILL ME BUT HERE IS MY POOR LITTLE MALE OPINION" and it's like, yeah, because men are totally the ones that have a long history of being victims of violence for the crime of having opinions.  OH wait no that's women.

True...if you're talking about actual violence. This is the internet, where all violence is of a verbal/metaphorical/emotional type. Men are not necessarily the greater perpetrators of emotional violence.

Just sayin'

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Not to beat the gender thing to death (even if I kind of want to beat the gender thing to death)... the responsibility lies with the parents for the first crucial formative years to help the kids, boys AND girls, differentiate between "What you like" and "What marketing wants you to like". We tried to avoid pink-for-girls, blue-for-boys crap, and pointed out to the kids early on that half of Toys R Us is blue and half is pink, because they decided FOR you what toys you want.  There's a pink section of tiny, underpowered tools at Home Depot, for the women who like to pretend they're fixing things.  All the good Lego comes in the blue buckets.  There's no toy vehicles that don't involve flowers in the pink section.

I exposed all three of my kids to everything, and from the age they could understand English I've always been honest with them (possibly too honest about some things), and let them like what they like. My girls love princesses, fancy dresses, Adventure Time, and UFC events provided there's enough blood.  They clap hardest at the blood.  My son likes Minecraft and Kerbal and iCarly (even though he won't wear pink, even on Anti-Bullying Wear Pink Day (and don't get me started on the problems with THAT), and in fact won't even eat pink food because it makes him uncomfortable... public school is not kind to disabled kids). 

So the annoying comments we get (mostly about the girls, because it's MOST appalling that they deviate from the norm) are often about the "strange things" our girls "seem" to be into. 

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Along the gender stereotype lines... I often hear "you aren't a typical woman". Do I have an atypical vagina and boobs? Am I biologically mutated?? Sorry I don't fit into standard confines of 'being a woman", although I don't even know what that is.

It just occurred to me... most women spend their whole lives chasing down someone's definition of "being a woman". Whether its the clothes you wear, how you act, the men you're attracted to, the way your body looks.

• Like 1

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

only if you are tipping your head back to get better access.

Was told this the other day by the fiance "You don't need to work your chest anymore. It is already to big." I had a 43 inch chest when I started all flab. Now I have a 46 inch chest about 75% muscle.....I don't wanna stop! I want that 50 inch chest to go along with my 28 inch thighs and my 16 inch biceps (Aiming for 18-19) She also says I shouldn't lift so much cause my shirts already don't fit.

buy bigger shirts

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

True...if you're talking about actual violence. This is the internet, where all violence is of a verbal/metaphorical/emotional type. Men are not necessarily the greater perpetrators of emotional violence.

Just sayin'

Oh, really.

So, all the studies that show that women deliberately conceal their gender so they won't get harassed on the internet?  The guy that couldn't last two hours as a woman on OK Cupid?  How about the flood of rape threats women get for being outspoken on the internet?  Are you going to sit there and say that this isn't mostly perpetrated by men, and that a "oh no don't kill me for my comment lol!" thing isn't incredibly missing the point of who actually gets their home address posted on the internet for stalkers?

Also you're still missing the point of "dude says something sexist but OH NO DON'T KILL ME IT WAS A JOKE" annoyance.

News flash: Jokes are funny.  Sexism isn't funny.  You think you're joking?  Well lots of people really hold sexist beliefs, and your "jokes" are reinforcing those beliefs.  Get new material.

Butts.

stupid work keyboard, thats what I get for typing while talkign to my coworker, I didn't realize that my caps lock was on.

Oh, really.

So, all the studies that show that women deliberately conceal their gender so they won't get harassed on the internet? The guy that couldn't last two hours as a woman on OK Cupid? How about the flood of rape threats women get for being outspoken on the internet? Are you going to sit there and say that this isn't mostly perpetrated by men, and that a "oh no don't kill me for my comment lol!" thing isn't incredibly missing the point of who actually gets their home address posted on the internet for stalkers?

Also you're still missing the point of "dude says something sexist but OH NO DON'T KILL ME IT WAS A JOKE" annoyance.

News flash: Jokes are funny. Sexism isn't funny. You think you're joking? Well lots of people really hold sexist beliefs, and your "jokes" are reinforcing those beliefs. Get new material.

I am sorry if my comment intially hit a nerve with you, was not the intention at all. I am a very sarcastic person in nature and this post was intended in just such a way. I like to believe that we here on NF are fairly open minded people and I thought that my response would get a laugh. sorry if I offended you it was not intended.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Mind you, the one i'm getting a lot of right now (i'm about a month into the 'fitness' thing) is 'oh, lemme lift that for you.'

I've always been skinny and kinda weak in the upper-body department.  Right now, its coming from people that know i'm doing this, and know i'm sore sometimes.

My response has been to pick up said heavy thing and huck it at them, followed by 'thanks' and let them wriggle around on the floor with it.  I'm not happy with being typecast as the skinny nerd anymore.

• Like 2

Almost forgot, the ever classic

Them: "But you need grains..."

Me: "For what"

Them: "Fiber"

Me: "o_O"

This used to be followed by a list of where you can get the nutrition from to replace what's lost by no grains.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Oh, really.

So, all the studies that show that women deliberately conceal their gender so they won't get harassed on the internet?  The guy that couldn't last two hours as a woman on OK Cupid?  How about the flood of rape threats women get for being outspoken on the internet?  Are you going to sit there and say that this isn't mostly perpetrated by men, and that a "oh no don't kill me for my comment lol!" thing isn't incredibly missing the point of who actually gets their home address posted on the internet for stalkers?

News flash: Jokes are funny.  Sexism isn't funny.  You think you're joking?  Well lots of people really hold sexist beliefs, and your "jokes" are reinforcing those beliefs.  Get new material.

Not sure what joke I made, but okay. Either way, do you see anyone else getting all bent out of shape?

By the way, congratulations on finding internet articles to support your opinion. I could probably find articles supporting the view that the earth is flat.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Oh, so you lift weights.........you'll end up looking like a man........um no I have boobs and a vagina. O_o

What can one say really?

My Nanna taught me that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

My Dad taught me, think what you like but don't say it.

So I think about how I would like to punch these people in the face with my big man fists!

• Like 3

Wait! What............?

Along the gender stereotype lines... I often hear "you aren't a typical woman". Do I have an atypical vagina and boobs? Am I biologically mutated?? Sorry I don't fit into standard confines of 'being a woman", although I don't even know what that is.

It just occurred to me... most women spend their whole lives chasing down someone's definition of "being a woman". Whether its the clothes you wear, how you act, the men you're attracted to, the way your body looks.

Is it worth pointing out that I don't think I've heard any fellow men refer to a woman as "not a typical woman" as a negative thing? If they refer to something atypical about a woman in the negative sense it tends to be done somewhat more offensively. But I can only really speak from my own experiences on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

In my house, the rule is, if it's longer than it is wide, you can eat it with your fingers. This rules out peas, of course.

I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life, it makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on my knife.

Had to recite that in elementary school, never could forget it.  Totally applicable 25 years later.  Thanks nerdfitness.

• Like 3

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Is it worth pointing out that I don't think I've heard any fellow men refer to a woman as "not a typical woman" as a negative thing? If they refer to something atypical about a woman in the negative sense it tends to be done somewhat more offensively. But I can only really speak from my own experiences on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Gender stereotypes suck, and no one person encompasses all the stereotypes of their gender.  Even so we do tend to capture some of the stereotypes attributed to us, and often guys will know a certain subset of girls (and, hey, this works both ways) that reinforce these stereotypes.  So when they meet an amazing woman who crushes those stereotypes into the ground, what else can they say?  I hate that that's the way it is, because it makes it feel like being a "typical woman" is something to be ashamed of.  That said, anyone who says that usually says it with good intentions, and I can't attack or think badly of those people because I feel like that undermines efforts to educate those who truly are derogatory, discriminatory, and otherwise negative.  In other words, we start to get in the wrong when we start to attack those who are just trying to be nice.  This is NOT to say that anyone was attacking someone like that here.  Those comments are still annoying, which is why we have this thread to vent and get out our annoyed thoughts out.  That way, when we face the comments of those with good intentions in the real world, we can recognize it as a compliment, thank them courteously, and either move on or maybe take the opportunity to politely and calmly educate them.  Who knows, you may have a really good conversation.

As for the sarcastic remarks made earlier about the toy separation thing, I just want to say that I don't understand why you were attacked for your postscript, but I do think that you need to filter a bit better next time because I think those remarks would be over the top even if a girl said them (and, yes, there would be that double standard).  I know what you were trying to say, and I understand you were being sarcastic.  I would laugh if someone said the same thing with just the right dose of sarcasm in real life, but that same sarcasm translates TERRIBLY over the web.  We don't have the benefit of facial expressions, vocal nuances, or even the right kind of friendly relationship on the web.  So, what I'm trying to say is be careful what you say and how you say it on the web because it won't come across the same way in real life.  Cautionary tale and all that.

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

Sexism isn't nice.

But in the interest of not completely derailing this thread into schooling people on feminism 101, I shall walk away, and let us return to the airing of more inane grievances.  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, and all that.

No one was being sexist, calm down.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

it makes it feel like being a "typical woman" is something to be ashamed of. 

I don't subscribe to the idea that any woman (or man) is "typical". I find the concept inherently absurd, since each and every individual is entirely unique. Referring to an individual as "typical" is simply being intellectually lazy, since it permits one to make assumptions about that individual without having to take the time/effort to get to know them.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I don't subscribe to the idea that any woman (or man) is "typical". I find the concept inherently absurd, since each and every individual is entirely unique. Referring to an individual as "typical" is simply being intellectually lazy, since it permits one to make assumptions about that individual without having to take the time/effort to get to know them.

True that.  We are all happy snowflakes!

3853034-cute-snowflake--vector-illustrat

• Like 4

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

Remember, you are unique.

Just like everybody else ;)

I'm not.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Remember, you are unique.

Just like everybody else ;)

Typical.

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

I wish I was drinking milk so that it could squirt out my nose right now.  I just had the perfect image of it.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP