Forums are back in action! ×

echoesofwonder reporting to the rebellion

I must admit that I have been lurking around Nerdfitness for a while.  Reading Steve’s articles has inspired me to make several changes in my life.  I often find myself saying “but Steve says…â€, and usually it helps me to do something courageous.

I have been thinking about writing this entry for a while.  In the beginning, I wanted it to be perfect.  I wanted to take you on the rollercoaster my life has been, make you laugh in all the right places, and cry in others.  I have since realized that having you go through these emotions with me were not what I needed at all.  I need to surround myself with people who are also ready to make change, already on their journey, or have accomplished their goals.

I have already been chatting with a few nerds, and even met some great ones this last weekend.  So I figured I should probably just take the time to tell everyone about myself.

I am 27 years old, and have been a nerd/geek (depending on who you ask) for as long as I can remember.  I like video games, but I have tried to avoid playing them because I know that right now, nothing good can come of me playing them.  I missed my midterms in college to beat the star levels of Super Mario World on SNES.  I had to perfectly beat the entire game, and I did.  Now, 10 years later, I am trying to rectify all of the failed classes I had then.  In high school, I was on the speech and debate team, I was in the marching band, and on the academic superbowl team.  At the same time, I also enjoyed things like riding my bike for miles, camping, and just outdoor things in general.

I had a long standing joke that each year of my life, I gained 10 lbs.  By the time I was 25, this look on life stopped being funny, and I knew I had to make a change.  In the last 2 years, I have only lost 15 lbs.  I have tried so many diets in my life that it is ridiculous.  Weight Watchers, The Lord’s Table (if you read about it, please note that it was an act of desperation in college, and recommended by a boyfriend), Weight Watchers again, Low Carb, High Carb, Low Fat, No Fat, it didn't matter what I tried, I hated it and packed on more weight.  Oh, and have you ever seen someone 250 lbs try to run that weight off?  I hated running at 150 lbs, why would I think I would like it at 250 lbs? 

In 2012, my mom switched doctors, and they told her that she needed to start building muscle by strength training. They said that she needed to do this (strength training) more than she needed to get on the treadmill.  I remember thinking, what kind of crackpot doctor does she have?  Clearly they know nothing about losing weight.  Shortly after that my best friend started working with a trainer and was getting ready to move back home (here) and she was saying the same things as what my mom was telling me.  So I decided to investigate.  I ended up here, on Nerdfitness, and that is the beginning of the exciting part of my story.

I have read several articles on Nerdfitness, and it was like “Wow, this makes sense.† Staci’s story really was the one to steer me in the right direction.  I remember reading it, crying, reading it again, and then I went over to my best friend’s apartment and saying “Look!  I need to do this!† So she agreed to work with me at the gym.  She has shown me the different things I could do with dumbbells, watch me stumble through squats, lunges, and rows, and I couldn’t be more proud of my accomplishments. 

This last weekend, I met some people from the website in the Kentuckiana area.  It was a long drive, since I am about 7 miles from the Michigan border, but it was totally worth it.  I met Milythael and Alienjenn, and it helped make Nerdfitness a tangible thing in my mind.  I watched Milythael climb trees, do pushups in random places that take mad strength, and keep up with someone less than half his age.  Amazing.

Alienjenn, she was phenomenal.  She is strong, and so encouraging.  Her enthusiasm is sort of contagious, so watch out!  

Anyway, I realized that although I am just on the beginning of my journey, there are going to be a lot of neat things in store for me.  I am ready to join the rebellion, and show everyone what I’ve got to offer.

“Make it so, number 1.â€

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

welcome! i liked reading your post and think youll find your people here! also i totally get the weightloss-drama... im new here too and like the support and information on this site. check out the challenge starting soon.... it sounds like fun! see ya around! :onthego:

Thanks for the encouragement fearlesscreek!  I do plan on getting in on the next challenge (Can't wait, in fact)! I will have to follow your progress throughout. :peaceful:

Glad you joined up and are planning on diving into the challenge.  They're a lot of fun, but mostly, it is amazing following the changes people are making to their lives.  Here's a thread you might find of interest if you haven't seen it yet.  Looks like you've already made a great start. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I have read several articles on Nerdfitness, and it was like “Wow, this makes sense.† Staci’s story really was the one to steer me in the right direction.  I remember reading it, crying, reading it again, and then I went over to my best friend’s apartment and saying “Look!  I need to do this!† So she agreed to work with me at the gym.  She has shown me the different things I could do with dumbbells, watch me stumble through squats, lunges, and rows, and I couldn’t be more proud of my accomplishments. 

This last weekend, I met some people from the website in the Kentuckiana area.  It was a long drive, since I am about 7 miles from the Michigan border, but it was totally worth it.  I met Milythael and Alienjenn, and it helped make Nerdfitness a tangible thing in my mind.  I watched Milythael climb trees, do pushups in random places that take mad strength, and keep up with someone less than half his age.  Amazing.

Alienjenn, she was phenomenal.  She is strong, and so encouraging.  Her enthusiasm is sort of contagious, so watch out!  

Anyway, I realized that although I am just on the beginning of my journey, there are going to be a lot of neat things in store for me.  I am ready to join the rebellion, and show everyone what I’ve got to offer.

“Make it so, number 1.â€

sort of?? LOL

it was nice to meet you the other day :)

I love your quote at the end of the post... :) I am thinking that I will have a vulcan themed challenge next time :)

and there is nothing wrong with the lord's table... I have gone through it... it was very helpful in teaching me about examining things and thinking about WHY I am eating what I am eating :)

next time I go visit... I will def stop by and see you... it has been 11 years since my last visit... I may not wait that long again... but... my family is there... so.... ummm..... ;)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Jenn, I hope it isn't another 11 years! 

I will have to try to get out your way sometime (it's only fair). 

I am going to keep track of you on your next challenge... especially if it is a vulcan themed one.  :)

The Lord's Table really was a bad idea for me.  I really really binged after that one... and I was doing it for all the wrong reasons. :(

By the way, you really are inspiring.  I have a letter that I started writing to you... so be on the lookout!  :)

aw echoes!! Good for you. :D You're an awesome person; I'm glad you're on forum so we can encourage and inspire one another

You are a great inspiration to me!  Can't wait to get on this journey, and I am glad there are neat people that I can do this with. 

Do you know how awesome you are?  :)

Jenn, I hope it isn't another 11 years!  I will have to try to get out your way sometime (it's only fair).  I am going to keep track of you on your next challenge... especially if it is a vulcan themed one.  :) The Lord's Table really was a bad idea for me.  I really really binged after that one... and I was doing it for all the wrong reasons. :( By the way, you really are inspiring.  I have a letter that I started writing to you... so be on the lookout!  :)

Not sure.. my family is insane and u have a hard time avoiding being sucked into drama... it helps that I wasn't staying with family and I had my own vehicle... but it was hell... Anything that makes you binge is a bad idea... but it is helpful to investigate reasons WHY you binge and determine ways to avoid it in the future... My next challenge will either be Vulcan themed or Rick Astley themed... they are both on my list for this year :)I'm on the lookout :ph34r:Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Congrats and hello.  I googled that lord table since I never heard of it before.  people eat for all sorts of reasons but I never wouldnt equated it with sinfullness. Just- eating because your bored, or eating because you have low self esteem, or eating as a social aspect, celebration, ect.  weird,

Hi FutureErin!  I am super excited about the next challenge.  Are you in?  How are you doing with not weighing yourself for a month?  We are 5 days in, so I know it can be hard!  I think I am going to take that goal and add it to my arsenal.  I am all the time wanting to hop on the scales. 

Terosx.  Yeah, it wasn't for me.  Probably for more reasons than I care to list, but hey, I learned from it. 

Anyway, keep posting, I would like to see everyone's progress!  :)

Oh, and have you ever seen someone 250 lbs try to run that weight off?  I hated running at 150 lbs, why would I think I would like it at 250 lbs? 

That was me 2 weeks ago xD, i actually was having a good time with Zombie Run 5k Training but my knee wasn't really amuse about it.... i only hurt my knee :(, i have been doing Strength, and i think i will give it a try again in the following challenge, i was getting involved in the Zombie Run Story xD

Nerthux, Level 2 - Tauren AdventurerSTR 4.5 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 5.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 4

But, What the hell is a Tauren dude?   [Here you'll see]

WEAPONS [Wooden Dumbbell +20 lbs x2 |  Exercise Vigor Ball | Magic Resistance Band]
EQUIPMENT [Mystic Goggles (Enchanted with Water) | Novice Swimsuit (Enchanted with Sexiness) ]

Hey Echoes! I was so torn before setting the goal of not weighing myself during April because I have been chained to the scale for YEARS. It's also my biggest trigger for feelings of self-hate, when I see the number has inched up since the last time. But, also, I was afraid of "losing track" if I didn't weigh myself.

It's been good, though! I haven't weighed myself since April 1, and, honestly, it's nice not to have my focus on that for now. And the more I read, the more I realize that even when I did lose weight according to the scale in the past, it was probably the wrong kind of weight anyway! I don't want to lose muscle, I want to build it!

Excited to have a partner in the scale-avoiding quest for the next challenge :)

My battle log

Goals for May 2013:

- Level 2 Recruit workout

- Slooowww transition to paleo

- Don't weigh myself all month!

Archived