Forums are back in action! ×

Weight Loss Reversal?

FinanceGreg

Hello,

I have been following this blog for about a year now and am hoping the community here can offer some wisdom to my problem.

Backstory: At the end of 2011 I weighed 300lbs after a decade of inactivity and overeating. A whirlwind decision to stop being fat spurred me to start running. In the first 2 months I lost 40 lbs. Continued hard and dedicated endurance running brought me down to 200 lbs by the end of month 8. By November 2012 I was 179lbs with 14% body fat, a tremendous victory.

Problem: Since that point last November, I have steadily been gaining weight and cannot figure out why. As of today I am back to 200lbs, and 17% body fat. The smaller clothes that I bought are now too tight, and I can see visible size increase around my midsection. This is throwing me off because I have not changed my diet at all, and have even increased my workouts. Last weekend I ran 60 miles for fun around some mountain trails, and I actually weighed more after my run than before. What am I doing wrong? It's so disheartening to see results of my efforts reverse.

Any insights people can offer would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

- Greg

been to see your doctor?

diabetes and thyroid can cause weight issues. 

I had a checkup a couple months ago, everything looked great, health stats below:

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 189 lbs

Blood Pressure: 116/67

Fasting Glucose: 85

HDL Cholesterol: 39

LDL Cholesterol: 48

Total Cholesterol: 97

Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 2.5

Triglycerides: 51

How are you defining that you haven't changed your diet?

Does this mean you've maintained precise calorie levels?

I'm pretty routine on diet.

Breakfast: 5 eggs with jalapeños, grapefruit juice

Lunch: Mixed nuts, protein bar, occasional turkey deli sandwich, 12 oz green tea

Dinner: (Chicken breast, salmon, or sometimes teriyaki), mixed vegetables, occasional brown rice, water, 1 glass red wine.

You mention weight gain after started weight training.  It's a good chance that you're putting on muscle.  Are you taking progress photos?

I don't think it's muscle gain as my bodyfat % is going up and I can see a size increase of my midsection. Maybe I need to fast, activate some kind of starvation mode? This whole thing is confusing, my diet hasn't changed from the time I was losing serious weight, but now I'm gaining.

It wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid checked.  TSH, T3, and T4.

But also important is to really track your food with specifics.  Have you tried a food diary and a scale?  It really sounds like calories are sneaking in somewhere.  Treats that you don't quite realize you're having, portion sizes that have snuck up in size, something.  It sounds like you're eating quite small amounts with a lot of cardio while still being quite slim — it would be very easy to be accidentally and unconsciously eating more than you were to get the energy.

Keeping weight off for those of us who have been obese is a real struggle, and I feel for you.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like I need to go back to the doctor, so I'll schedule an appointment and mention the thyroid.

Edit: Thinking back, I did have throat surgery in December to repair a rupture from ulcers. (Caused by a vitamin capsule getting stuck in my throat, and dissolving there, releasing the acid and burning a hole in my esophagus.)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like I need to go back to the doctor, so I'll schedule an appointment and mention the thyroid.

Edit: Thinking back, I did have throat surgery in December to repair a rupture from ulcers. (Caused by a vitamin capsule getting stuck in my throat, and dissolving there, releasing the acid and burning a hole in my esophagus.)

O_O

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Something else I thought of which could make my situation. I only started really getting into fitness tracking last March (2012) and logging my weight and bodyfat percentage. During the following months (through Spring and Summer) I saw great results, all the way up to November. In looking at my graphical user data on Fitbit, I can see the increase of weight happened during December, January, and February. In March my stats began to decline again, and are further now in April.

I am wondering if this has something to do with the body reacting to the Winter season. Is it reasonable to attribute a 15lb gain to cold weather, should I be expecting some kind of gain during Winter usually?

If you started gaining weight in December, were you going to Christmas parties, family dinners, etc? Lots of opportunities there to eat more, even if you're watching what you're eating. I know I find myself going "One treat won't hurt", and also drinking more [alcohol] than usual - wine at a family dinner, drinks at a party, that kind of thing. Drinks are an easy way to get a load of extra calories without realizing it!

If you started gaining weight in December, were you going to Christmas parties, family dinners, etc? Lots of opportunities there to eat more, even if you're watching what you're eating. I know I find myself going "One treat won't hurt", and also drinking more [alcohol] than usual - wine at a family dinner, drinks at a party, that kind of thing. Drinks are an easy way to get a load of extra calories without realizing it!

This ^^ The article below goes into a bit more detail, but Maegs pretty much hit the nail on the head.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/160226-why-do-people-gain-weight-in-winter/

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Archived