Forums are back in action! ×

To grunt or not to grunt?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you grunt?

• Yes
    • No

I grunt, but not on purpose.  It's the noise that happens when you're working hard, whether you intend it or not.

I don't like it when people purposely grunt-roar very loudly while lifting.  It's distracting and negatively impacts my ability to concentrate on solid reps.  That sort of showmanship helps no one.

But I don't mind people who grunt reflexively because they're working hard.  You can normally tell the difference easily.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

This morning there was a guy there doing bicep curls with like 25 lbs, grunting in this oddly sexual way everytime he lifted them. It was really hard not to laugh. Like, really, I could do that without the sound effects and I'm like half the guy's size.

Level 1 Pixie Adventurer

Strength: II

Dexterity: III

Stamina: III

Constitution: II

Wisdom: II

Charisma: II

The only time I do anything that is anything like a grunt is at Muay Thai class.

Normally a mix of trying to punch/kick as hard as I can and breath at the same time - totally involuntary. :)

Human – adventurer – level 2

STR:  2   DEX:  3   STA: 5

CON:  6         WIS:  8.5         CHA:  4.5

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

myfitnesspal

first challenge - smashed it!

second challenge - failed!

current challenge

Nope. I do not grunt. I exhale loudly though when I'm deadlifting close to 200 lbs. O_o

But it's involuntary.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I don't grunt...that I've noticed.  I usually just do a lot of heavy breathing (breath in and woosh out) and throw an F-bomb or other random word out there once in a while... "Fuck, fuck, beans, fuck!"

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

My wife hates people that grunt when they work out. Unfortunately for her, I'm increasing weight each week so on the mornings we work out together she gets to hear my involuntary grunting. She thinks I should lift something lighter if I have to grunt. I simply shake my head when she says that.

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

2 STR  |  3 DEX  |  3 STA  |  2 CON  |  3 WIS  |  2 CHA

Battle Log  |  Current Challenge: Paladin's Return to the Road

"Fat doesn't get sore, muscle does." Doctor Wes Nyberg

I whoop, or make some other kind of noise when I'm trying to motivate myself to start or complete a set.  I usually grunt,  when I'm mid-squat, mid-push up, or in the middle of whatever else I'm trying to finish. It's like telling myself "Come On" or "Let's do this!!!" helps me push through.

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

It's not really a grunt, but I do give a hiss of breath if I'm trying to push through something. I have to be quiet though since I live with three other girls and I don't need to look like the crazy roomie more than I already do.

I also swear a lot. Swearing is kind of my go to thing to push through anything hard or painful, be it mental or physical; since as studies have shown, swearing does reduce pain and can help increase endorphins.  

Level 1 Gnoll.  Druid at heart, training with the Scouts

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 2

Good? Evil? Let's just say I'm chaotic stupid 

I don't grunt...that I've noticed.  I usually just do a lot of heavy breathing (breath in and woosh out) and throw an F-bomb or other random word out there once in a while... "Fuck, fuck, beans, fuck!"

BAHAHH! I do that too....last reps go with words like 'motherfucker!' and 'for the love of fuck!' and 'jesus fuck!'

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Archived