Forums are back in action! ×

Food temptations

SSquirrel

So today at work, one of my co-workers told me Jimmy John's was doing $1 subs for Customer Appreciation day.  Then a friend offered to cover me at Friday's if I wanted to go with them, b/c I had said I was broke.  Now, I have a very tasty stir fry in my lunch bag along w/a container full of baby carrots, which I've eaten a few of so far.  I'm trying to cut out bread and so far doing pretty well at it.  I'm not the biggest fan of lettuce, so the idea of getting a sub (I usually get a slim 5, all meat, cheese and bread) wrapped in lettuce instead is not appealing.  I like plenty of other veggies but lettuce is blah.  Salads aren't big on my list either.  The end result is I decided to say no to both and I'm eating my stir fry.  It's pretty good stir fry anyway, I fixed it a couple of nights ago. 

One of my favorite snacks are Doritos.  I told my wife the other day she would be proud of me walking past some tasty looking garlic bread and Doritos on sale for 2.50 and the big $5 bags on sale for $4.  Cutting bread out means no pizza and breadsticks, which is also pretty hard.  Since I'm just in the 2nd week of my diiet changes, I'm trying to not have a designated number of cheat meals.  I want to stick as closely to my plan as I can for the first month and see where I stand.  Then I can institute a couple of worry free meals if I decide I'm ok to do so.  If I haven't made much progress tho, probably not.

What are the things that have been tempting you the most lately and have you given in or not?

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

LOL go check out the I ate all the sweets- or the what are you food enemy's threads.

Holy cow- you are not alone!!!!  I had made crazy sugar cravings when I gave up sugar. way more managable now.  Now I say no to everything so its' definitely not so hard- you get used to it!

Jimmy Johns is a serious weakness of mine as well!

I work a 12 to 8 shift, and by the time I get home I really do not like to cook. It's so easy to grab fast food on the way home and say the heck with cooking.
About a block away is a little mom & pop ice cream shop that serves chili dogs and the such. They are my biggest temptation.

I've luckily kicked my biggest issue of Soda. Mountain dew...you sweet horrible beast...

I've only given in recently to try the new glass bottle dew..it was a great treat, but not something I want to get addicted to again.

LOL go check out the I ate all the sweets- or the what are you food enemy's threads.

Yeah I've seen those threads and I think posted about Doritos in the food enemy.  I was less curious about all time enemies and more what was trending or recent craving victories for people :)

Jimmy Johns is a serious weakness of mine as well!

I work a 12 to 8 shift, and by the time I get home I really do not like to cook. It's so easy to grab fast food on the way home and say the heck with cooking.

About a block away is a little mom & pop ice cream shop that serves chili dogs and the such. They are my biggest temptation.

I've luckily kicked my biggest issue of Soda. Mountain dew...you sweet horrible beast...

I've only given in recently to try the new glass bottle dew..it was a great treat, but not something I want to get addicted to again.

I had a glass bottle real sugar Pepsi last week.  SOOO good.  I'm generally doing well on the "no pop or sweet tea" thing tho.  Just water and maybe an occasional glass of OJ or kefir is getting really dull tho.  Sadly I'm not the biggest fan of hot teas.  If it isn't southern sweet tea, meh :)  I work 730-6 4 days a week testing software.  Very sedentary job and if my wife has insomnia problems (like lately), chances are good I'm getting to cook for us when I get home too.  We have done a bunch fo shopping recently tho and we have piles of veggies in the fridge along w/tasty meats.  It's just doing something.

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

You probably will be more tempted by foods that you would still eat on a cheat day. You might even give in and say that you are moving up your cheat meal. I find it easier to completely give up foods that I don't want to have to eat. Maybe you could choose one food only to keep for cheats and give up everything else?

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I basically need to not buy what tempts me most: salty/crunchy things, especially popcorn, cheesy poofs, plain potato or tortilla chips. I will INHALE the entire bag. At least for popcorn I mitigate it by popping my own so I can control butter and salt... but the rest, stay away! I buy a chips almost exclusively only for special occasions at this point.

I still haven't learned to say no to when people bring me treats at work. I can pass by baked goods that are sitting in the kitchen, but because so many people know I'm a baker (and I often share my baked goods with people so I don't eat them myself, lol), they will bring treats directly to me. Perhaps for my 3rd challenge, the power of No...

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I just wrote about this in my status update. Almonds and cashews have been getting kinda old. And if I bring out this leftover bag of kettlecorn I will be inhaling the entire bag. 

Screw it! I'm steeling my nerves and throwing it away. My life is more important than stupid sweet popcorn.  :neglected:

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

It was hard to part with that kettle corn. :(

*hugs* But you did.  Good job!

It was hard to part with that kettle corn. :(

Aah, I know that feel. :( Ex-kettle corn fanatic here, if you ever get cravings for it, try toasting walnuts and tossing them with stevia or the like. It's surprisingly similar - just be mindful of the calories!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Temptation at work is horrible.

I remember I had stuck to a good diet for 2 weeks. Really feeling the changes. Then a coworker brought in stacks of donuts for a birthday and placed it on an empty desk -- right next to me.

I tried to ignore them, but they were calling me. 

I asked my coworker, "Why did they have to set these donuts right next to me?" And he replied, "Just don't eat them."

Fuck you man. You just don't get it.

I told myself just one. Next thing I know I go on a binge for 2 weeks. Ice cream, fried chicken, everything. :(

*pats on back* in celebration I shall throw away the Easter candy I have stashed away in my desk as well!

Thank you! Awesome on throwing away the stash.

Aah, I know that feel. :( Ex-kettle corn fanatic here, if you ever get cravings for it, try toasting walnuts and tossing them with stevia or the like. It's surprisingly similar - just be mindful of the calories!

Ahh.... :( I'll try. Can I toast them in the oven?

Temptation at work is horrible.

I remember I had stuck to a good diet for 2 weeks. Really feeling the changes. Then a coworker brought in stacks of donuts for a birthday and placed it on an empty desk -- right next to me.

I tried to ignore them, but they were calling me. 

I asked my coworker, "Why did they have to set these donuts right next to me?" And he replied, "Just don't eat them."

Fuck you man. You just don't get it.

I told myself just one. Next thing I know I go on a binge for 2 weeks. Ice cream, fried chicken, everything. :(

Indeed. I was almost panicking last week when I started having cravings, because I've had a quick descent like that too many times. Today I'm the evil coworker, because I brought my stash left at home. Heh heh...  :pirate:

Level 2 Fire elemental adventurerSTR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn

Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise

You probably will be more tempted by foods that you would still eat on a cheat day. You might even give in and say that you are moving up your cheat meal. I find it easier to completely give up foods that I don't want to have to eat. Maybe you could choose one food only to keep for cheats and give up everything else?

I like this idea! As long as you don't over do it, it seems perfectly fine to have a designated treat; eventually it'd probably become a lot less special in your mind too, and a whole lot of these cravings are psychological.

I wonder what mine would be? Probably something I could get at a coffee shop, and something I couldn't (reasonably) buy a whole bag of. Like a small scone. 

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Archived