Forums are back in action! ×

Crossfit

Fishercat

I was thinking about joining a crossfit gym. I have several questions that I know you Rebels can answer. I am wondering what should I look for? What things do you like and dislike about CrossFit? Do you always have to attend a class or can you workout on your own? Thanks for all your help!

"It is hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off"

Florence and the Machine

Things to look for: 

Go throuh the gyms website for their old workouts. Look to seewhat comes up a lot. Does the gym do a lot of strength stuff? Do they do a lot of running sprints//high rep stuff? Every gym has a slightly different focus between strength/endurance/metcon etc. 

As for attending class vs open gym, some gyms have a specific open gym time. Other than that you have to do the workout unless you talk to the coaches about it. I've been going to my place long enough that I come in and do the workout 3-4 times a week and then come in and do my own thing on the side (usually lifting or ring work). But I am a special case and the coaches know me. 

Check to make sure the place is clean-ish. Weights and equipment is stacked nicely when not in use, the mats aren't covered in chalk dust, dirt, and grime. I know it is a gym but you can tell if the owners care about their box if they keep it clean and organized. 

Look at teh certs the coaches have. How long have they been training, look at their history. Extra certs help. As does length of coaching experience. 

Most of all, join a free class if offered to get teh feel of the workout and the community. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hey Fishercat, I agree with BigM. I've been doing CrossFit for about three years now and I absolutely love it. It has changed my life drastically for the better. If you go to the CrossFit main site and message board, you can find a ton of useful information.

LEVEL 6: ZOMBIE WARRIOR

STR: 11 | DEX: 10 | STA: 6 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 6

~ 1st Challenge: HERE!

~ 2nd Challenge: Check it out!

~ 3rd Challenge: Iket721's Warrior Challenge!

~ 4th Challenge: ket721's best-challenge-ever!

~ 5th Challenge: Back to the Basics!

~ 6th Challenge: Can't really think of a clever title challenge!

~ 7th Challenge: ike's consistently consistent challenge

Crossfit has been a really positive part of my life for the last 7 months. I've never found something fitness-related that fits me better. I love that the day's workout is planned for me. I don't have to decide if I'm going to do another round or if I'll stop at 4 reps instead of 5 - my job is to show up and do what I'm told to the best of my ability. I'm always learning new things so it stays interesting. I'm not afraid to try new things or push myself because there's someone there to help me figure it out and make sure I'm doing it right, and I love the feeling of doing something I'd never thought I could do. Having set classes at certain times works well for me because it encourages me to prioritize my workouts and be consistent. And if I don't show I know I'll hear about it from a trainer or another member. The trainers are positive and encouraging but will push me when I need it and I've found I respond really well to it. It's been the perfect thing for me, but it all depends on the person and the box.

Not all boxes are created equal. They vary widely in their programming, their dedication to form and safety, and their standards for their coaches. Plus what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Every box has its own personality of sorts.

All of bigm's suggestions were right on. I would say that the only way you'll really get a feel for the box is to actually go there. Go by and observe a class, attend a community workout if they have one (a lot of boxes do these on certain Saturdays and they're usually no experience necessary), talk to the coaches and some members. A few more questions to ask:

- How big are the classes? What does a typical class look like (they'll probably tell you that every workout is different, and it is, but find out if they have time dedicated to mobility and if they frequently include strength and skill work before the main workout, for example).

- Along the lines of bigm's note on past programming, ask them about how they program. Is there a method to the madness?

- What's the process for new members? Some boxes offer dedicated intro classes for beginners (called on-ramp or elements usually) to teach new members the basics and get them ready for a regular class. Some do this in one-on-one sessions. Some don't require it at all. After you join the group classes, how do they handle scaling for newer athletes? Some boxes have level 1 classes for relatively new athletes and more advanced classes for those that know what they're doing. My box doesn't have separate classes but they program in a tier system, so that newer athletes do an adapted version of the workout. Along these lines, watch a class and notice whether the trainer is explaining and teaching the movements throughout the class. 

- Be ready to talk about your personal goals and any concerns you have. If you have an old injury or something you struggle with, tell them and ask them how that would be addressed. Is your main concern losing weight/lifting heavy/general fitness? How will that fit in with what they're focused on? If the coach doesn't seem interested in your goals and concerns as an individual, that's a sign it might not be the right place.

That's a long explanation, but I assume everyone is like me and always wants as much information as possible :)

Thanks for all the responses! I feel better prepared to start looking for a crossfit gym. I've been thinking about crossfit because I get bored easily with regular workouts and I like physical challenges. I am deffinetly going to be asking some of these questions. Especially, the ones about fitness levels and what thier focus is on (endurance, strength etc).

"It is hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off"

Florence and the Machine

Archived