Forums are back in action! ×

I need to make a change.

Hey, everyone. My name is Harley. I am 28 years old (29 in June), and I am about 50 pounds overweight. Have been for as long as I can remember. I've always just been complacent about it, but my laissez-faire attitude has only added to the problem.

My nerd background is profound, but narrow. I recently stepped away from Magic, for the first time in 14 years. In exchange, I've picked up a job I've always wanted to do for as long as I can remember: I'm a game show host. It's bar trivia, but it still counts. Plus they pay me to write questions. It's super dope. I'm also into stage and close-up magic, stand-up comedy (watching and performing), Doctor Who, writing short science-fiction, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And hyphenated words, apparently.

I want to be fast and functionally strong. I want to bolt down Route 1 as fast as I can. I want to turn heads in a skinny suit at parties. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.

The big problem is a nagging injury in my neck from a lifting accident almost two years ago. There's a sprain in a muscle back there, or something like that. It never healed correctly, and every so often a dazzling spray of pain will jolt up my neck and into the base of my skull, making it difficult to lift or perform activities that involve that muscle group. So, running it shall be.

I'm pleased to be part of Nerd Fitness, and I hope I find the answers I want here. I have spent countless dollars on weight loss and exercise plans that don't work or fit my schedule. Let's do this.

Getting healthy is always a great idea.  Remember what Steve says - you can't outrun your fork.  I highly recommend the guide to healthy eating.  You'll find it if you click the NERD FITNESS tab and look under the free resources. 

You don't have to lift to get stronger, you can perform body-weight exercises, like those found in the beginner's body weight workout (also on the free resources).  I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but it sounds more like a pinched nerve than a sprain.  I'd head back to a real doctor about it though.

Good luck.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I've lost track of what accountability feels like, which is a big problem. I've lived independently for well over a decade, so answering to anyone has become a challenge. I don't even listen to my bosses at work most of the time, let alone my father or myself. I don't have consequences as an adult, or at least any real feeling of what they are. I'm not sure how to reclaim the consequence/reward system.

Does that sound weird? It sounds weird.

Archived