Forums are back in action! ×

Nerd Marine. Yes, they exist!

Hello Everyone!

Was seriously considering sitting down and contemplating this first post, making sure my signature and pic and goals and motivations were all ready to go before I introduced myself.

Eff that.  Time to wing it.

First, nerd history.  Been a gamer my whole life, my father swore that if he heard the background music from Dragon Warrior on the NES anymore he was going to  get rid of it!  I dabbled in DnD in High School, and am finally involved in a continuous campaign here.  I play(ed) Dance Dance Revolution, WoW, Final Fantasy, and am currently involved in just about any game with a story worth my time.  I'm also a homebrewer, with about 10 batches of beer under my belt, and an automotive enthusiast.  I've done a few track days, flag at some races, and was able to work at the 24 Hours of Daytona last year.  

As the title declares, I'm a Marine here in SC.  This, of course, put my physical fitness as a somewhat high priority in my life, if not by my own choice.  >.<  However, for years I've just been rolling with the training done by my fellow Marines and not looking into how to maintain myself.  The past few years, however, I've begun getting into 5k's and a few bigger races, with little commitment.  The breaking point for me was last year when I signed up and payed for the Savannah 1/2 Marathon, and didn't train or show up for it.  I've also been consistently weighing in right at the max weight I'm allowed to weigh in the Marines, which will bite me in the butt if I'm ever over.

Time for change and commitment.

This year, I've ran a sprint triathlon without training for it, and survived, and now I'm hooked.  My current goal is to train for and do more then just survive, possibly hit my goal of top 10%.  Meanwhile, as a Marine, I need to focus on muscular strength, endurance, and power, so I can't/won't just focus on race training.  My food intake was pretty terrible, so I'm switching to a more paleo mindset, though that's proving to be a difficult transition.

So.

I've laid out a training plan that begins next week for a sprint triathlon in October, and another go at the Savannah Marathon in November (going for the full 26.2).  This begins next week.  I will be researching strength exercising that will aid me in all those events, but for now I just make sure I get out and do something.  As for food, I'm only filling my tiny fridge with paleo stuff (except beer and condiments), and my non-paleo stuff only happens if I eat out.  Also, I promised my wife I would start going to Yoga with her occasionally, so that should be interesting. (Vinyasa, heated Yoga, wee?)  This will be on top of whatever PT I do with my Marines throughout the week.

Anyway.

Looking forward to conversating and being motivated with everyone here.  I'm a professional forum lurker, but I'm gunna try to be more involved here since it's, you know, my health in question.

Semper Fidelis

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Stats: TBD

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Semper Fi Mac.  Former 0311 here back in '87-'91.  There are a few nerd Marines out there but we are a rare breed indeed.  More power to you on the running.  I always hated that part of PT.  I'm more in to the body weight exercises because they seem to have more relevance rather than dead weight lifting.  However, I admire your spirit and goal to reach a 26.2.  Good luck and carry on...

I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend your right to say it to the very death.

Voltaire

My website: The Pen and The Sword

www.firstchevalier.com

My debut novel Kickstarter Project-http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1163624572/rise-of-the-herald-the-debut-novel-by-mark-e-malco

Guest Dirty Deads

First off, Thanks for serving. Second, I know a few nerd marines. I find the majority to be on Xbox a lot.

I hope you really give that hot yoga a shot, yoga is incredible stuff.

Welcome!

My respect to you for your chosen profession, especially if it involves dedication. (which I'd guess as a Marine)

Not a soldier myself but I live in a family of soldiers as most of the men before me and my brother chose to serve over civic duty (we still had prescription unti a few years ago), my uncle is still active in the French military and I know a lot of our Bundeswehr people and some U.S. military peeps.

Also congrats on completing the triathlon despite not being prepared! Good luck with your goals, I don't doubt someone acquainted with the consistency and discipline associated with your profession will be able to push through!

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Welcome to the rebellion!

My sixteen year old son wants to be a marine :) I have lots of respect for you guys (we've been telling to a lot of you lately!)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

HAY!  One of my good friends is a nerd Marine!  (he has left the Corps, but apparently y'all stay Marines forever because you earn that right)  Thank you for your service!

It sounds like you have some good goals and you're making good progress already.

And about that beer...DO WANT  :very_drunk:   I love beer, especially a good brown ale.  Homebrewing is on the "eventually" list for me; right now, with a small townhome and a small child and not much disposable income, it's not in the cards...but it will be!

Thank you everyone for the responses!  Yeah, self-discipline is much better for me now almost 8 years in, but it's still something I struggle with >.<

Also, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get into homebrewing.  While it certainly needs a bit of an initial investment, Mr. Beer provides small batch kits for real cheap, and check out homebrewtalk.com for a homebrewing forum that has everything from the most basic set-up to guys that are developing their own brewery.

Looking forward to updating you all on my life and progress!!  As well as keeping everyone in check :P

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Just dropped by to say hi.  My husband is a retired Marine (64 - 92), and I spent 15 years working for the Marine Corps.  We never made it SC, in fact, we never made it east of MCLB Barstow (except for the unaccompanied stints he did in the far East).  Does that earn me the right to say Semper Fi? 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I won't tell you no!  :P  Though I've never stressed about how people decide to show support for my brothers and sisters in arms.  WIth almost 30 years in, to have never made it to Lejeune or Beaufort or Quantico is... kind of amazing! 

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Oh dude, I have total respect for people who dedicate their lives to serving what they believe is right. Personally, I'm against the need for there to be conflict that necessitates the involvement of people in armed combat (born pacifist: also damn it, world, for needing war), but nevertheless, I consider serving the modern equivalent of being a knight (extremely honorable). 

Awkward confessions aside, welcome aboard and have a great time. The site is geared towards it. Also, what are you playing in your DnD campaign? 

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

DnD 4.0

Eberron Campaign

Zero, 15th Level Warforged Fighter

First Warforged created by the Lord of Blades

Currently adventuring just trying to make a positive name for Warforged kind, determined to ensure that we become our own people, preferably with the destruction of the Lord of Blades, but for now he's content traveling the world with:

Human 16 Artificer

Goliath 15 Warden (My wife)

Halfling 15(?) Barbarian

Halfling 15(?) Cleric

Gnome 15 Rogue

Half-Orc 15 Druid

Me and the Goliath are pretty much the only non Dragon-marked, which is fine by me :D

Hurray for too much information!!

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

I was involved in a similar campaign, though we were marked by a thunder god. That was awhile ago and the party quickly disbanded. Turns out we sucked at role playing and nobody wanted to see me role play a twisted, psychotic half-gorgon witch (though I did kick some awesome ass with my uber-amazing spells).

I wish I had grown up with this. 

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

Archived