Forums are back in action! ×

100 Push Up Challenge

I tried it at one point, got me from mid 20's to mid 30's, but it also could have been the bench pressing I was doing at the time as well.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Corey it does work I went from 15 to 50 and after stopping for a few months I'm back down to 35; I really want to break the 100 mark someday

I'm sure it does, it has you doing tons of push ups, it's gonna make you do more. I was just saying I wasn't sure for me since there were other variables involved.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've seen it before, kind of wanted to try it. Always wanted to do 100 push-ups. Why not now, right? I'm in.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

I am not going to follow the 100 pushups website (did in the past, progressed too fast), but 100 consecutive push-ups is something that I would like to work up to. Can I be "in" but use my own system?

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I got up to 70 through by way of my burpee challenge- I was shocked- I wasn't doing ANY regular push ups- just burpees.  but be careful- burn out and repitition injuries are an issue with push ups.  

I think taking a break would actually be better than just repeating a week. 

It's not just that- it's a heavy load for a lot of reps- that shit adds up - even with good form- you can cause issues.

I have all sorts of issues (prior conditions) and even with good form- I get tweaky and creeky and just old feelign from such sustained abuse.  

not saying passing around good information is bad- just saying- word to the wise.  :D

This sounds interesting. I never could get past 75 push ups with good form, actually breaking the 90° point, and that was years ago when I was in the Army. They had us do a few of those. Now I stick with 25 or less and generally try to do decline. I am currently helping my wife to do her first real set of push ups, mainly incline for now though. Hope it works for you.

Level 3 - Ranger

Current Challenge: At It Again!

so I'm going to make this one of my goals for the upcoming challenge; I'll try following the 100 push up plan but I think I'm going to do some of the weeks twice

I'll personally be shocked if I don't have to do some weeks twice. 

You'll be doing a lot of the weeks a whole lot more than twice, the progression is way too fast to try to do week to week and is only labeled as such as a marketing scheme kinda deal.  They should really be called "levels" where you repeat the workout from each level over and over until you can complete it then move to the next.

It's not just that- it's a heavy load for a lot of reps- that shit adds up - even with good form- you can cause issues.

I have all sorts of issues (prior conditions) and even with good form- I get tweaky and creeky and just old feelign from such sustained abuse.  

not saying passing around good information is bad- just saying- word to the wise.   :D

I-Jo is right here.  The Stanford QB that just tore his pec benching probably did it because of all the high rep chest workouts he was doing as part of his off season conditioning, you know, following a program similar to what something that rhymes with Floss Pit supports. Just don't go heavy on benching while driving his reps on push ups as your chest is going to be fatigued and inflamed and won't be able to handle much benching load.

500 / 330 / 625

a: my push ups have always sucked, so any program is better than none. 

b: I don't plan to be benching at all while doing this.  if I'm working my chest and triceps like this every time i work out, I'm comfortable with that being what they get.   My other plans for this period are some human style movement stuff (Ido style crawling and mobility and MovNat movement) and maybe pull ups if i can work that groove as well. Plus sprinting still. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

So. I assume everyone has already completed Day 1. How have your first sessions been? (And which week/column are you starting in?)

My first day was pretty good. I got really tired by the last (max) set and had to stop a take quick, 5-second rests a three times, but the other sets were good all the way through. (I'm starting in Week 4, by the way. And third column.) That's the 21-25-21-21-32+ (60 sec rest) one.

Who's still in and doing this?

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"