Forums are back in action! ×

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but here goes.

I've hit a plateau with the effort I'm doing right now, so I want to take it up a notch, a decent sized one also.

Right now I do

lot's of water, smaller portions more often (controls my hunger much better, in turn over a long period of time, reduced the size of my stomac giving me less appetite, not eating after dinner, no soda, a few other odds and ends). For activities, I do walking at work, probably 30-60 minutes a day, every weekday. I also try to bike as much as I can weather permiting.

What I want to do

After logging what I eat for just 3 week, I've noticed a lot of things. I eat wayyyyy too much bread (this includes tortillas). I need to replace bread with something else. Also I want to start doing body weight training (it's planned and I'm actually starting tonight). Another thing I would like to do is greatly reduce my carb intake as I often meet the limit or exceed it (based on myfitnesspal). Is there a guide on NF for low carb diets?

tl;dr version : would a low carb and more exercise (bodyweight workout) work? and what do I replace bread and tortillas with????

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Possibly. Only one way to find out! 

Depends on how low carb you want to go. Are we talking low, low carb? Because that would probably be in the <50g/day. A more moderate would be more around 100-150 probably.

Replace bread with actual veggies. They will fill you up much faster and provide micronutrients that bread does not. You could also consider your fat/protein intake. Many people who do a lower carb diet find themselves getting ~50% of their daily calories from fat. Protein should probably be around 1g/lb of bodyweight.

Give it a shot for 6-8 weeks and see how you like it, and then reassess.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Well right now, I'm doing 170-200 on average carbs a day with my current diet, I just don't want to go too low and have no energy left. Protein wise, it's been at around 100-120 a day (I weight around 180), you can check my daily in my sig to see my current "diet", maybe you could get a better idea.

So 100-150 carbs a day and around 150-200g's of protein a day?

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

Yeah I might start with that. I'm no expert, though, so if others (Waldo, etc) chime in you might want to listen to them instead.

I've played around a little bit with timing, and I've done some reading about timing your carbs. So like eating a sweet potato before/after your workout as opposed to some random time like 6 hours before/after. I haven't done enough research to form an educated opinion though, and I wonder if that won't matter so much *shrug*

Also - are you trying to lose or gain? Or eat to perform?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Well I make myself a lot of sandwiches for work cause it's fast easy and apart from the bread it's good if you put good things in it. Same thing for wraps.

thinner bread slices basically? Does a carbless bread exist? that'd epic. lol

oh, pasta's too seem to be a lot in my meals, QQ.

There are a ton of Paleo cheats out there...breads, pies, desserts, pancakes...go for it, but consume in moderation and treat it like an actual dessert...just because it's paleo doesn't mean it's healthy in large quantities.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Oh ok, so Paleo isn't really =  good, moderation is key then

Ever tried something like lentils and yogurt? Around here we don't worry about carbs, so we eat with rice, but you could cut out the rice. Lentils freeze well, so make a big batch, pop it in the freezer in individual serving portions. Experiment with different styles and flavors (such as using ketchup, curry, spinach, or some other food or flavor). French lentils are exquisite with roasted veggies and a little thyme. Lentils are high in protein and not too high in carbs. Add the yogurt and you get even more protein and pretty much 0 carbs (should be plain yogurt, obviously).

That's just one idea. Soups are also good--heat and add to a big thermos before leaving for work. Lots of veggies, meat if you eat that (I don't), and if you want something crunchy, try kale chips instead of crackers as a side. Also look into getting a spiralizer that turns zucchini into spaghetti. Then make a pesto and you've got a low-carb, highly nutritious pasta. (The zucchini is served raw, btw.)

Also, have you ever considered using lettuce (like romain) as a wrap instead of bread or tortillas? I have friends that do that.

Just a few ideas.

Princess Ranger - Level 1

First Challenge Thread

2STR | 3DEX | 4STA | 5CON | 3WIS | 5CHA

My Fitness Pal | Exercise Diary | My Epic Quest

yeah there is some carbless bread out there. One of our customers had some in their R&D (big german bread manufacturer) don't know if it is out in the wild yet.

There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into this next grocery!

I'm the queen of very low carb. I do not eat carbless bread.

A carb intake around 100-150g is about what Mark Sissan recommends in Primal Blueprint. You can read more about it at Marks Daily Apple.

What do your carbs come from?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Paleo is awesome and I've done really well low carb but my carbs come from veg, potato, squash. Paleo is ab no grains, etc

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sorry, forgot to ask why you are focused on carbs? Health? Weight loss?

I AM going the distance

yeah there is a point where you need to just stop trying to "paleo" everything.   (you meaning -in general- not YOU specifically)

just replace it with meat and veggies essentially.  It takes some adjusting- but you get used to it!

example- I made paleo red velvet- they were meh.   I was glad I tried it- but I learned if I want to eat a god damn red velvet- guess what- I'm going to get the god damn red velvet and I don't want a cheap fake substitute- I want the real fucking thing. 

Yeah. I'll try getting thin slices of bread instead or go in the bread isle and check for low carb bread. I love sandwiches, I couldn't give them up right now :(

You can give them up.  Differentiate - you don't want to.  That's fair!!!  FAIR!  Be honest.  It's okay to say I'm not interested in giving up X, Y, or Z.

Me?  I won't give up drinking wine.  NOPE not gonna happen.  I won't give up coffee.  Period.  Even bad coffee, man, I'll drink it.

So, think about your goals, what you want (still not clear where you are stuck), and how you'll get there.  Paleo is not for everybody and most people here do not follow paleo.  My guess is most people hear eat sandwiches.  So eat man, and enjoy.

I AM going the distance