Forums are back in action! ×

God's Awesome Word

Not a Christian, and I don't have a verse to offer, but I just want to say that I think it's awesome that there is not a single post in this thread that is mocking the intent of the thread or trying to pick a fight. This place really is unusual for the interwebz! 

Anyway, pardon the interruption!

• Like 7

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Not a Christian, and I don't have a verse to offer, but I just want to say that I think it's awesome that there is not a single post in this thread that is mocking the intent of the thread or trying to pick a fight. This place really is unusual for the interwebz! 

Anyway, pardon the interruption!

Yes, it is very nice. This forum is full of amazing people

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I have two I think. Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.†and John 3:30 "He must become greater, I must become less."

• Like 1

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

STR |5.5| DEX|4| STA|4| CON|6| WIS|5| CHA|0|

Previous Challenge: Level 1 RebelRangersRangersMonks Current Challenge: Monks

Track Calories with MyFitnessPal (4.5% per comp)

9%
9%

MOSSA Power and Fight (5% per comp)

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

Bed by 10:30 awake by 6:30 (2.25% per each per comp)

0%
0%

Posted Image

This one... because I'm dealing with the pit of depression right now

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've recently found my favorite not to be one verse, but all of Psalm 139. It's always struck a cord with me, and since I've been somewhat of a lone wolf, it's a good reminder that I'm not the lonest wolf.

• Like 2

"I have always been of the opinion that unpopularity earned by doing what is right is not unpopularity at all, but glory" - Cicero

"The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence." - Marianne Moore

"Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1-2

"You must understand, young hobbit, it takes a very long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."- Tree Beard

Level 3 Barbarian (True Neutral, Frighteningly ISTP)

The Heart of an Assassin, The Mind of a Monk

STR 4 | DEX 3.5 | STA 4 | WIS/INT 2 | CHA 2

Special Event:

N/A

Daily Battle Log  1

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

As a gender queer lesbian who has been told her whole life that she is going to burn in hell (even by my own family), I frankly love this quote. I was raised protestant Christian and taught to hate myself for being born the way I am and to hate everyone else like me. What this verse means to me is that everyone on planet earth should chop off one of their hands... because we are all "sinners" and god hates hypocrites. Hey its also an excuse to work on that one handed push up eh!?

Sorry, I do respect you all as people, but the bible you read is hate speech... very very little of it (including the new testament) teaches harmony, acceptance, love, or understanding. For every 1 quote you find that *is positive 10 can be found that are downright horrendous. God hates women, fatherless children, diseased people, maimed people, etc... he pretty much hates all of humanity according to the bible (buyers remorse?).

Although I would personally fight and die for your right to read whatever you want, believe whatever you want, and live your life how you see fit (so as long as you don't hurt people)... I still cannot condone it, the bible is an extremely dangerous book.

I've recently found my favorite not to be one verse, but all of Psalm 139. It's always struck a cord with me, and since I've been somewhat of a lone wolf, it's a good reminder that I'm not the lonest wolf.

This. 139 is awesome for reflections, quiet time, prayer and regrounding yourself.

• Like 1

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

Silly thing, i pressed post but it didnt turn up so I did it again and ended up w a double post.

Anyway, work on dat relationship. Verses aint spells and incantations, but love letters with a meaning and purpose that can change over time <3

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

Psalm 139 is an incredible psalm. I especially love the last part because it brings everything to a close. After reveling in how wonderful God is and how precious life is, and dealing with the pain in his heart there is then a wonderful invitation of the Psalmist for God to come into his life and change him. "Search me oh God and know my heart Try me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." I think we would all do well to end our times with God with this invitation because it is a reminder to ourselves we haven't arrived but a personal cry to invite God in and direct our steps with Him.

• Like 4

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

9%
9%

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

0%
0%

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

As a gender queer lesbian who has been told her whole life that she is going to burn in hell (even by my own family), I frankly love this quote. I was raised protestant Christian and taught to hate myself for being born the way I am and to hate everyone else like me. What this verse means to me is that everyone on planet earth should chop off one of their hands... because we are all "sinners" and god hates hypocrites. Hey its also an excuse to work on that one handed push up eh!?

Sorry, I do respect you all as people, but the bible you read is hate speech... very very little of it (including the new testament) teaches harmony, acceptance, love, or understanding. For every 1 quote you find that *is positive 10 can be found that are downright horrendous. God hates women, fatherless children, diseased people, maimed people, etc... he pretty much hates all of humanity according to the bible (buyers remorse?).

Although I would personally fight and die for your right to read whatever you want, believe whatever you want, and live your life how you see fit (so as long as you don't hurt people)... I still cannot condone it, the bible is an extremely dangerous book.

I realize that this individual has since departed, but it saddens me when someone is taught to misinterpret the Bible in this way. The Bible's message is one of love. Anyone who says or preaches anything different, lies or has been misinformed.

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I realize that this individual has since departed, but it saddens me when someone is taught to misinterpret the Bible in this way. The Bible's message is one of love. Anyone who says or preaches anything different, lies or has been misinformed.

I agree I'm currently reading the Bible in front of me and have seen nothing but encouragement and love from God toward people. God does hate sin because sin separates us from Him but he NEVER hates the sinner (the person who sins) I mean Jesus gave His life for those very people (me you and everyone) so that we could be free of sin and be returned to a right relationship with Him! if giving your life up for someone isn't love I don't know what is... It's very sad when people take descriptions of sin and then attack the people who have those sins ignoring the sin in their own life (probably pride). We as the Church need to do better at loving people like Jesus did. He rebuked the righteous who hated the sinners and spent time with the sinners (but also never condoned their sin) but loved them for who they were and urged them lovingly to sin no more. (John 4 as a prime example). I pray that this person that you quoted would see God's love for her and be healed of the people who misrepresented God's love in the past.

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

9%
9%

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

0%
0%

I also just realized which person that was. I hadn't read their post but read their departing message and it made me sad because I have found nothing but helpful people here and also the person sounds like they have been hurt a lot in their life and I wish that they hadn't left so we could have had a chance to encourage them...

• Like 3

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

9%
9%

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

0%
0%

Hey guys this threads been awful quiet for a while! So here's a question to get some conversation rolling! What part of the Bible have you been reading and enjoying in your devotion time every (day/week/month)? 

I've been reading in lots of different parts but I've really be reading a lot of 1 and 2 Peter. I really enjoy how Peter words things a lot of the time. I seem to think a lot of the same way that Peter did so his writing makes a lot of sense to me. This morning I read 1 Peter 4 which is such a great chapter,

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen."

Such a great and challenging section of Scripture! Especially the part about what we speak and how it should be "as one speaking the very words of God!" He cares very much about how we represent Him to the world and each other! 

• Like 1

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

9%
9%

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

0%
0%

I'd forgotten that passage! It has so much good instruction about how to act Christlike in daily life.

This week I've been following the Holy Week readings in preparation for Easter Sunday. So the readings are all over the place, but an interesting thing that I've noted is how various readings, which perhaps I may not have noticed before as relating to Jesus, are perfect descriptions of his actions, his character, or the events surrounding his time on earth. The interconnection is affirming to me. :)

• Like 1

I'm currently working through the Gospel of John.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I'm also working through Holy Week texts, as I'm using a prayer book that is attached to the liturgical calendar. This book also has the psalms pointed for Gregorian chant, which has been really cool to read the psalms, and to see Christ in the psalms. Happy (early) Easter to all!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."