Forums are back in action! ×

"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"

Forewarning: me rambling about vaguely philosophical notions.

Why do I like this quote so damn much?

(And yes, I am aware that there is already a thread for motivational/inspirational quotes.)

I'll explain. Er, or I'll attempt anyway (which is something I know I can do...you'll catch on after you're done reading.)

Right then. I’ll just jump right into explaining.

If you know yourself well enough, then you know exactly what you're capable of accomplishing. If you know that, then you know exactly how much and what you can accomplish.

You follow me?

However, knowing how much and what you can accomplish can lead to stagnation. If you already know what you can do, then what's the point, right? It’s like you already accomplished that thing you know you can do, because you KNOW you can do it. Kind of.  

You see, what's actually important is what you DO do. Know you CAN do something, can prevent you (in a way) from attempting to above and beyond what you're already capable of. And in my experience that’s what makes life fun. Knowing that you can accomplish something is nice. But actually DOING something is what's important. Besides, accomplishing something you’ve set out to do, whether it is doing one push up or ten is a fantastic feeling. This lesson can be applied to other areas in life too, besides fitness. Which is awesome (I’m surprised that’s the first time I’ve used that word in this thread…hm.)

Carrying on.

Conclusion? I think you are amazing if you have read this far, that I have a tendency to overthink things on certain occasions, and that I have found THE quote. Simply put, it reminds me to always put my utmost effort in everything I do. In doing so, well…I don’t know. I think I’m a little too young to have figured that out yet. Hm..well I have? Just did? I have a vague notion as to what putting effort and –  (totally had an epiphany while typing this sentence)  - I figured it out. It puts MEANING into your life. This is, as I understand something people strive for, to have in their lives. Whoa. This is turning oddly philosophical. Continuing on. Meaning…people want their lives to mean something. Want their lives to be important. Which they are. However, understanding that their lives are already important, and by affiliation have meaning, is something that people struggle with (or they already know that, but are doubtful? What’s life without doubt, eh).

Welp. I think I am little too young to be asking what the meaning of life is. But, feel free to think about it, if you want. Go ahead. Take a moment. Any epiphanies?  Yeah? No? That’s okay, I didn’t have any either. So, as I’m sure you’ve surmised…I know what I am capable of accomplishing (and am in the processing accomplishing that thing that I’m still surprised I’m actually doing), but do you?

*ps: apologies for any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors

*pps: looking forward to seeing what you brilliant folks on here have to say about my ramblings

*ppps: I would love to hear about your guys’ favorite quotes and what they mean to you, if anyone is interested in that

Level 1 Human Adventurer // STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 // Current Challenge 

Guest CyborgNinja

In no particular order:

• Option trading
  • Starting a secular creed, a distributed "way of life" like scientology except with less cultism and money focus and a lot more intellectual emphasis
  • Buy a third world country, teach its people sensibility and lead it to greatness

if it depends on you it's not really anarchy isnt it? ;p

I promise i will be a benovelent overlrod when i have achieved world domination!

There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

would not be so great at all.

All the sweet victories from success- come only because you know the taste of failure. With out failure- success means nothing.

This. Exactly. I mean, it might be cool the first time, but the probability of failure, or failing many times before succeeding, is what makes success so rewarding. If I knew I couldn't fail, there would be no challenge in it.

Buuut, going along with the question, I would probably summon my inner Batman and atop a crime or something.

would not be so great at all.

All the sweet victories from success- come only because you know the taste of failure.   With out failure- success means nothing.

A valid point. But still, it's fun to imagine the possibilities. 

Level 1 Human Adventurer // STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 // Current Challenge 

The lottery. Never played it, because I think it's a waste. However, if there's no chance of failure... that changes everything.

Just cause it's not a great accomplishment doesn't mean it's not a great thing to win. =B

In all seriousness though, if I could attempt any great thing, knowing I wouldn't fail no matter what....I'd resolve all of the issues my family has with each other, establish a family business and farm, work on the community my family lives in over at DR, eventually getting into politics in support of the country and then maybe create a party that can restart some of the projects Juan Bosch thought of back in the 60s.

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Get some scientists to develop experimental spacecrafts that lack the "problems" of our current ones and start a gigantic space expedititon. (I know, I went all out on that one)

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge