Forums are back in action! ×

June Book Club Book Discussion--Wool

The winner of the book club book is Wool by Hugh Howey!

If you are going to post a spoiler about the book, please alert with SPOILER so no one catches something they didn't want to see :) Preferably, post the page number or chapter above so people can read some spoilers up through where they are--I know this won't be possible for me considering I'll read on my Kindle, but let's give it a shot :)

Enjoy!

So are we reading the whole series, or just part 1? It seems that it's less of a novel and more of a short story series.

for spoiler sakes, the dicussion is probably jsut about the first one

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I was very surprised to see that it was free on the kindle. Excellent.

Not to be a spoil sport, that is just part one.  It is dirt cheap on the Kindle thought (5.99 for parts one through five).

Kindle: Wool Part 1-5

---Redi Spades---

Level 3 Half-Elf Ranger/Techromancer

STR: 4.5 | DEX: 6.0 | STA: 6.5 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 8.25 | CHA: 2.5

Challenge 1 - 2 - 3 (Current)

"Live out of your imagination, not your history."

Stephen R. Covey

Main Quest: Weigh 175 lbs.

7.1%
7.1%

I linked to the Omnibus edition in my suggestion which is Wool 1-5.  It isn't really a set of short stories, it is a novel that was originally released in serial fashion.  It is also available in a bound edition for those who aren't into e-readers.  The Omnibus is cheap, and I think anyone that finishes Wool 1 would probably want to go right to the next one anyway.

There is also a prequel called Shift that is in 3 parts if I recall correctly.  Not as awesome as Wool itself imo, but it does fill in a lot of blanks.

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

I of course have read the entire thing, or I wouldn't have recommended it!  But I am reading it again to refresh my memory, in the middle of part three right now.  Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

I am continually amazed that this was an independent publishing effort originally.  Most of the independent works I have read have seemed amateurish, but not Wool.  The characters are very well-realized.  The plot hooks you almost immediately and has pretty good pacing.  The writing is sophisticated without being too technical and seems to really appeal across genre lines.  I'm a big fan of sci-fi and found Wool in my Kindle recommendations and decided to give it a go after reading the first few reviews on Amazon.  But I have a couple friends at work who typically read suspense or mysteries and they loved it, too.  It is the only book I have purchased before I even finished the sample.

For those who have finished Wool, there is a prequel available called "Shift".  This is in three parts and again you can get an Omnibus version for your Kindle that combines them and will save you a little money versus purchasing them directly.  It's also available in paperback.  Shift explains how the Silo began and fills in some mysteries from Wool.  I just got a notice from Amazon that the author will be releasing the final Silo work called Dust in August which I guess is the grand finale, available for pre-order and auto delivery now.

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

Hi! I might be a little off topic but I haven't found the info about how long the reading lasts? Do we have to finish in the end of June? (seeing as the topic was started only on 12th of June). Sorry if I missed this info somewhere. I'm new and would love to participate :)

Hi! I might be a little off topic but I haven't found the info about how long the reading lasts? Do we have to finish in the end of June? (seeing as the topic was started only on 12th of June). Sorry if I missed this info somewhere. I'm new and would love to participate :)

Sorry for the late response! My thought is that whenever you finish, feel free to post on here. The topic may become unpinned at some point but won't close. Technically this book "ends" at the end of the challenge, so 18 days from now :) 

Thanks for the reply!

Getting back on topic, I just started reading Wool yesterday, I'm on chapter 8(ish) but I am absolutely loving this book. So glad we're reading it. Shame I've got a very busy week ahead, but I'll try to catch up :)

I think the structure of the Silo interesting, the fact that the law was at the top of the Silo, the IT crowd enforcing the law a bit further down, the middle and then the people who kept the Silo functioning at the bottom. And the fact that the uprising begins with the people at the bottom, that they rise up to overthrow the top. I wonder if he meant this metaphorically for the structures of society. It was the bottom fighting the top/IT and the people in the middle somewhat indifferent or ignorant of what was really going on. 

I also thought that there was some subtle warning in the book to look after the earth we have, so that we don't end up with a toxic environment. 

Also found reading it quite claustrophobic at times, especially when Juliette goes to Silo 17, before she meets Solo. 

Great read. I'm quite interested to hear others opinions. 

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I think the structure of the Silo interesting, the fact that the law was at the top of the Silo, the IT crowd enforcing the law a bit further down, the middle and then the people who kept the Silo functioning at the bottom. And the fact that the uprising begins with the people at the bottom, that they rise up to overthrow the top. I wonder if he meant this metaphorically for the structures of society. It was the bottom fighting the top/IT and the people in the middle somewhat indifferent or ignorant of what was really going on. 

I also thought that there was some subtle warning in the book to look after the earth we have, so that we don't end up with a toxic environment. 

Also found reading it quite claustrophobic at times, especially when Juliette goes to Silo 17, before she meets Solo. 

Great read. I'm quite interested to hear others opinions. 

I think you are right about the structure of the silo being a metaphor for the structure of society.  I agree with you about the stratification, but also consider the idea that our duly elected officials are mere puppets, put there to placate the masses.  The real leaders are behind the scenes, manipulating us all.  Then there is that tendency to war, to divide up into groups and try to kill each other even when doing so is in no one's best interests.  Lots of subtext.

Regarding your feeling about a subtle warning to look after the earth lest we wind up with a toxic environment - I think you should read on and check out Shift.  The calamity that caused the silos to be built is addressed and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

For my part, my favorite thing about Wool is the language which is so evocative.  Just the opening sentences where Holston is climbing towards his death, considering the wear patterns on the stair treads and hand rails, thinking of all those who'd come before him to wear those stairs down... I could practically smell that metallic smell when paint is worn away and bare metal contacts human skin, hear the soft singing of his hand trailing along that railing.

I really like the characters, especially Juliette who is so little like her simpering namesake.  Holston, the heartbroken sheriff.  Lukas, obsessed with the stars.  Even the central villain has his moments.

I also like that it is full of twists. For instance, I gasped out loud when I realized that there were multiple silos, not just one.  And I like the way the sobering truth is often (always?) presented at the beginning of a section, either overtly as with Holston, or as foreshadowing.  Such as the knitting needles & holder compared to dried bone and skin in the opening sentences of the second section.  Or the way we know right in the opening sentences of the third section that Juliette will be sent out to clean - and because of the revelations of Holston when he went cleaning, I found myself perversely looking forward to seeing how Juliette would react to that same illusion.

I think you are right about the structure of the silo being a metaphor for the structure of society.  I agree with you about the stratification, but also consider the idea that our duly elected officials are mere puppets, put there to placate the masses.  The real leaders are behind the scenes, manipulating us all.  Then there is that tendency to war, to divide up into groups and try to kill each other even when doing so is in no one's best interests.  Lots of subtext.

Oh yes good point. That was quite interesting about the officials being puppets, and the implications are very far reaching. Would be interesting if such placations exist, and if they do, would we ever know if it wasn't for someone finding out and starting an uprising... hmmm. 

The twists were good indeed. I'm excited to get into Shift, although I have a few book to get through first. 

The language really painted a vivid picture and was beautifully atmospheric. I felt the book kept the same pace throughout and almost every chapter ended with a cliff hang. 

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Just finished it yesterday. Definitely one of the best books I've read this year.

The main this that I love about this book is not even the plot or characters but the author's style. I think he's very talented and has an ability to create suspense and horror with very simple details. The hyperrealism in some situations makes you hold your breadth.  

I started reading prequels now, it's interesting to see how it all happened.

SPOILER

The way he describes Holston or Marnes is so detailed and leaves you with no idea (with Holston mostly) of what will happen next. Howey spends so much time creating the character and the he kills them (I see you, GRR Martin). I haven't read many science fiction books so maybe I'm wrong but I found the story very original. The silo, the cleanings, the IT... Also, it made me think about the future generations that might not know what an elephant (among other things) is. We think we have all the information safe but in 200 years time people still won't understand some things about us. The same way we don't know everything about the past. Got me into philosophical mood :)

Also I liked that the reader essentially knows as much as the character. I was as surprised as Walker or as Jules when I learned about other silos, the reason behind the cleaning and so on.

Really glad we read it :)

Yup, the fact that

SPOILER

the first three main characters we get introduced to all get killed off was intense. I was thinking at first it would be one of those cliche "guy escapes oppressive society, finds out everything is a lie, and fights back" stories, especially when Holston is thinking about how beautiful the outside world is. Then: nope just kidding, it really is terrible, and he dies, right next to his wife.

Intense.

the first three main characters we get introduced to all get killed off was intense. I was thinking at first it would be one of those cliche "guy escapes oppressive society, finds out everything is a lie, and fights back" stories, especially when Holston is thinking about how beautiful the outside world is. Then: nope just kidding, it really is terrible, and he dies, right next to his wife.

Intense.

Yeah I reckon. I thought the story might be about them getting out and discovering others amid the wreckage of the post-apocalyptic destruction, but no. They are pretty stuck in the silo. Great book. I'm looking forward to reading Shift :) 

My Blog

My Book Reviews