Forums are back in action! ×

NF Minecraft server? :O

Yes, that crappy blocky pixelated game that'd I'm hopelessly addicted to.

Would anyone (North American preferably, for a better connection, because there's more people from NA) host a MC server? :o Just a vanilla server.

I'd be willing to be admin and make sure everything goes by fine :)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

I'd be down for the admin role. I'd just need something stable and powerfull enough to host it, as my connection isn't fast enough for more than like 4 external people playing. If anyone is interested in hosting shoot me a PM. We'd need a few mature admins, to be there regularly and in different time zones if possible.

I can make a set of rules also.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

OK...I've always wanted to give minecraft a shot just to see what it's all about.

As for hosting a server....what would be needed? Machine specs? OS? Also what kind of bandwidth are we talking about?

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I don't think it's very much bandwith, probably a big maximum of 30gb a month if a lot of people play (10-15 always on), but realisticly, the average will probably be 2-5 players on always, so 10-20gb a month. Speed wise something around 25dl/10ul (probably could get away with less UL speed)

Machine specs would probably be like 4gb ram minimum dedicated to the server with the latest Java running.  The server is just an .exe file basically, you put it into a folder and it generates it's own sub-folders (it's still a small package overall when run)

Windows would probably be the easier for running a server.

The only thing I have no idea how to do, is make your server ip a website name like minecraft.nerdfitness.com, but I bet there are tons of tutorial on youtube.

I don't think it's very much bandwith, probably a big maximum of 30gb a month if a lot of people play (10-15 always on), but realisticly, the average will probably be 2-5 players on always, so 10-20gb a month. Speed wise something around 25dl/10ul (probably could get away with less UL speed)

For me, 30GB+ a month won't be an issue. I have FIOS and my current speed is 25Mb/5Mb. I have a feeling the 5Mb UL could be a limiting factor. I've tried getting faster, but my building has a limit on it unfortunately. We have fiber to the building, but not to the units :(

Machine specs would probably be like 4gb ram minimum dedicated to the server with the latest Java running.  The server is just an .exe file basically, you put it into a folder and it generates it's own sub-folders (it's still a small package overall when run)

Windows would probably be the easier for running a server.

This is where a problem may arise. I have an always on media server I was thinking I could use for this. 4GB of RAM, but can be upped to 8 if need be....not sure it's powerful enough, and it's also a linux based server. I have a couple extra mobos laying around....a spare CPU, RAM, etc....been meaning to build a new machine. If I do, I can certainly set it up to test out running a minecraft server on.

The only thing I have no idea how to do, is make your server ip a website name like minecraft.nerdfitness.com, but I bet there are tons of tutorial on youtube.

This is the easy part....well, convincing Steve or Staci to allow a sub-domain for this, maybe not so much, but getting a domain pointed to my server is the easy part.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

4GB of RAM, but can be upped to 8 if need be....not sure it's powerful enough, and it's also a linux based server. I have a couple extra mobos laying around....a spare CPU, RAM, etc....been meaning to build a new machine. If I do, I can certainly set it up to test out running a minecraft server on.

This is why hanging out with fellow nerds is cool, "I have a couple of extra mobos layin around..."

For me, 30GB+ a month won't be an issue. I have FIOS and my current speed is 25Mb/5Mb. I have a feeling the 5Mb UL could be a limiting factor. I've tried getting faster, but my building has a limit on it unfortunately. We have fiber to the building, but not to the units :(

This is where a problem may arise. I have an always on media server I was thinking I could use for this. 4GB of RAM, but can be upped to 8 if need be....not sure it's powerful enough, and it's also a linux based server. I have a couple extra mobos laying around....a spare CPU, RAM, etc....been meaning to build a new machine. If I do, I can certainly set it up to test out running a minecraft server on.

This is the easy part....well, convincing Steve or Staci to allow a sub-domain for this, maybe not so much, but getting a domain pointed to my server is the easy part.

Well I had a 20/2 at my last appartement and I hosted a 4 external player with great ease. I don't think 5UL would be an issue. Computer wise, if it's dedicated, it might be enough, I can't really access the site at work and etc. So it might be enough since it'll be dedicated. So you might have what we need then.

found it! : http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server/Requirements

This is why hanging out with fellow nerds is cool, "I have a couple of extra mobos layin around..."

HAHA! Right?!? Especially when one of them came from a Craigslist purchase for RAM. "Uhmmm...I know you wanted to buy just the RAM, but if you want this mobo and CPU, they're yours".... Uh... yeah! Spare parts, beginning of a new server, media center PC if I combine it with my recently replaced GPU, or now Minecraft server??? Decisions decisions... :)

Well I had a 20/2 at my last appartement and I hosted a 4 external player with great ease. I don't think 5UL would be an issue. Computer wise, if it's dedicated, it might be enough, I can't really access the site at work and etc. So it might be enough since it'll be dedicated. So you might have what we need then.

found it! : http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server/Requirements

Work has the link blocked, but I'll take a look and see what else I may need. I'll be out of town for the next couple of weeks, so I won't be able to actually do anything until then, but at least I'll know what else I may need by then (case and PSU for starters).

HAHA! Right?!? Especially when one of them came from a Craigslist purchase for RAM. "Uhmmm...I know you wanted to buy just the RAM, but if you want this mobo and CPU, they're yours".... Uh... yeah! Spare parts, beginning of a new server, media center PC if I combine it with my recently replaced GPU, or now Minecraft server??? Decisions decisions... :)

Work has the link blocked, but I'll take a look and see what else I may need. I'll be out of town for the next couple of weeks, so I won't be able to actually do anything until then, but at least I'll know what else I may need by then (case and PSU for starters).

I'd have a case for you that has been collecting dust for like ages now lol, an old antec nine hundred painted white with all purple interior and mesh xD (Don't ask, was for an old build)

USe this to determine how well you can support: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

But yeah, I'd totally be in on this.  Whoever admins the server might elect a couple of mods to help out, and create a white list so that only NF people can come in.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

USe this to determine how well you can support: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

But yeah, I'd totally be in on this.  Whoever admins the server might elect a couple of mods to help out, and create a white list so that only NF people can come in.

According to that, 5Mb upload and 4GB RAM will allow for ~15 at a time.

According to that, 5Mb upload and 4GB RAM will allow for ~15 at a time.

I think we will probably be good with 15 at a time. As long as you don't post the server adress public on the forums lol 

USe this to determine how well you can support: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

Good idea, I'd totally be down to do this. I've been admin on a big server and owned a few private servers already and I know my way around minecraft (AND play a lot).

Idealy we would have a pinned thread somewhere that has the info for the server and double as Minecraft General chat

I'd play!

I'd know we get a bunch of people on! :D

This sounds fantastic! I can't host it w/my laptop/college class hours though. :( Lemme know when it's up via PM?

Will do :)

Waiting to see where this goes.  My little brother is a huge minecraft nerd and I keep meaning to check it out if I ever find the time somewhere.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Duality, if you make the server, I'll pin the topic for you.

That's awesome, thanks. I would, but I don't have a sub domain (and don't know how to link it) and my connection isn't fast enough unfortunatly, but I'm looking into it. WizardTrip seems to have what the server needs, I'm in contact with him to make it happen. As soon as it's all set and done I'll let you know, thanks tons!

That's awesome, thanks. I would, but I don't have a sub domain (and don't know how to link it) and my connection isn't fast enough unfortunatly, but I'm looking into it. WizardTrip seems to have what the server needs, I'm in contact with him to make it happen. As soon as it's all set and done I'll let you know, thanks tons!

When I get back from vacation and some other stuff going on, I won't have a problem setting up a test sub domain name and see what I need to get something up and running. I probably won't be on the forums much after today for the next 1-2 weeks, but I'll still be around lurking and stuff to see what other discussions come up in this thread.

Also, just so that I have this jotted down somewhere...

Server Specs:

Have

Biostar Mobo (can't remember model, specs...so I'll get them when I get home)

Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz (depending on the mobo, will probably go for a stable OC to ~3.0)

- spare aftermarket heat sink for the OC

4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800 RAM

one of the spare HD's I have in a closet

FIOS 25/5 - No data caps, but no ability to get more than 5Mbs up.

Need

Case - Will probably go with the XCLIO Nighthawk to replace my media server's case for the extra HD slots...I'll use the current media server case for this server.

PSU - Shouldn't need much. I'll probably go with a Corsair CX430 or a Thermaltake TR2 430W. Both solid PSU's.

I also have a spare Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB (G92), but being a server, this won't be needed as long as my spare mobo has integrated graphics....either way, I'll just run the server headless anyway.

When I get back from vacation and some other stuff going on, I won't have a problem setting up a test sub domain name and see what I need to get something up and running. I probably won't be on the forums much after today for the next 1-2 weeks, but I'll still be around lurking and stuff to see what other discussions come up in this thread.

I could get a server going for a few weeks in the mean while, but I'd still need a better connection, which would require me upping my internet connection ($$).

We should wait, imo.

Also, just so that I have this jotted down somewhere...

Server Specs:

Have

Biostar Mobo (can't remember model, specs...so I'll get them when I get home)

Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz (depending on the mobo, will probably go for a stable OC to ~3.0)

- spare aftermarket heat sink for the OC

4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800 RAM

one of the spare HD's I have in a closet

FIOS 25/5 - No data caps, but no ability to get more than 5Mbs up.

Need

Case - Will probably go with the XCLIO Nighthawk to replace my media server's case for the extra HD slots...I'll use the current media server case for this server.

PSU - Shouldn't need much. I'll probably go with a Corsair CX430 or a Thermaltake TR2 430W. Both solid PSU's.

I also have a spare Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB (G92), but being a server, this won't be needed as long as my spare mobo has integrated graphics....either way, I'll just run the server headless anyway.

That should be fine, imo.