Forums are back in action! ×

Pacific Rim [SPOILERS!!!]

I went expecting Eva vs Godzilla and was not disappointed.  There's not a bum note in the whole thing; it's a love-letter to the movies and series I geeked out on as a child.

I need to watch it again to see all the cool worldbuilding details again (so much stuff!).  And the fights.  And the... oh yeah, that bit.  And that bit.  And the bit when... AND THE DEREKS!

It's not Shakespeare.  It's all awesome.  :D

Saw it tonight with my wife (who is not so nerdy) - we both really liked it :)

Plot - meh. Acting - cheesy. But boy does it deliver on what it promises - awesome Giant Robot vs Monster action!

We generally don't like 3D in movies, but it was well done in this one :)

this is good to know.  I like this information.

Although I have few expectations about movies at this point- most of them I have seen recently are complete and utter rubbish.

I really enjoyed it as well. I was surprised, but pleasantly so, at how focused it was on the relationships and struggles between the humans (even though the most memorable parts of the movie were of course the incredible action sequences). I especially enjoyed Charlie Day's character, and Idris Elba was also fantastic, as always. I was just disappointed that the main character was so boring. Still, I can't wait to see it again.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

2 members of SAMCRO are in that.

I watched the trailer because my friend asked me to go, and the whole time I kept thinking, "That voice narrating sounds SO FAMILIAR..." And it was Charlie Hunnam and I had a moment. And then I thought that it must've been fun for he and Ron Perlman to work together on something without leather jackets involved.

I watched the trailer because my friend asked me to go, and the whole time I kept thinking, "That voice narrating sounds SO FAMILIAR..." And it was Charlie Hunnam and I had a moment. And then I thought that it must've been fun for he and Ron Perlman to work together on something without leather jackets involved.

I have to say I much prefer Charlie Hunnam without his fleshy-colored blonde SAMCRO beard.  

Ron & Charlie are also in 3,2,1 ... Frankie Goes Boom together.  Ron looks quite lovely as a woman.

I have to say I much prefer Charlie Hunnam without his fleshy-colored blonde SAMCRO beard.  

Ron & Charlie are also in 3,2,1 ... Frankie Goes Boom together.  Ron looks quite lovely as a woman.

Ugh. If your facial hair and skin tone blend together, please don't have facial hair. Period.

I generally am not attracted to blonde guys, but Charlie Hunnam is a notable exception. Yumbers.

Ugh. If your facial hair and skin tone blend together, please don't have facial hair. Period.

I generally am not attracted to blonde guys, but Charlie Hunnam is a notable exception. Yumbers.

Agreed!  Wholeheartedly.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.† ~ William Gibson

Saw it tonight with my wife (who is not so nerdy) - we both really liked it :)

Plot - meh. Acting - cheesy. But boy does it deliver on what it promises - awesome Giant Robot vs Monster action!

We generally don't like 3D in movies, but it was well done in this one :)

Yeah, you nailed it. 

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.† ~ William Gibson

I have to admit, I was thrown by some of the really obvious things that were missed, that could EASILY have been done to make the movie stand out more.  It was like an homage to every over-wrought big-happy 90's action extravaganza, from Armageddon to Godzilla. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I went with 3 of the guys to see this one, the last 2D showing they had on Friday at the local theater. One of my friends and I got so into it that we were way more obnoxious than I like to be at the theater. We both agreed that we had gotten our money's worth by the time the first Kaiju emerges out of the San Francisco Bay and destroys the Golden Gate Bridge. The rest of the film after that first 10 minutes was in no way a disappointment. If it was in the budget to go see it again, I would in a heartbeat.

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

After reading this I went and saw it tonight. It was AWESOME. Godzilla meets Real Steel meets WWF in all the best ways you can think of.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It was so refreshing to see an actual original idea in theaters.  I enjoyed this much more than the other summer blockbusters I've seen this summer with the possible exception of Monsters U.  I really loved the action scenes and the visual imagery.  Del Toro still has never disappointed me.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.~ Steve Jobs