Forums are back in action! ×

Well, it's definitely Nerdy and Fitness related

Coursera has a course starting soon that the serious exercise nerds might find interesting

Exercise Physiology: Understanding the Athlete Within

https://www.coursera.org/course/exphys

Course Syllabus

Week One: Review of excitation-contraction coupling in skeletal muscle, muscle fibre types, energetics and muscle adaptations to exercise training.
Week Two: The key fuels by contracting skeletal muscle during high intensity sprint exercise through to prolonged endurance exercise.
Week Three: Cardiovascular and respiratory responses to exercise that ensure adequate oxygen delivery to contracting skeletal muscle and the determinants of maximal oxygen uptake.
Week Four: Temperature and fluid balance during exercise.
Week Five: Mechanisms of fatigue during exercise and interactions between the central nervous system and peripheral factors.
Week Six: How do genes influence athletic performance - are athletes "born or made?"
Thought I'd share in case it's of interest to anyone - a quick forum search didn't pick it up as being raised previously.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Yep! I'm signed up. Some of the other nerds are signing up also, I believe.

I signed up for the Intro to Human Physiology but never did anything with it besides download all the materials...and I still haven't looked at them.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I'm in! And it's nicely timed to coincide with the next challenge.

ooh, if I sign up for it would one/all of you nag me to make sure I actually do something with it? :)

I can nag back in return.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

and I am in

(although I am going out of town next week for some biking :) but I will complete the course!)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Thanks for posting about this! I signed up as soon as I read this thread, even though I don't have the recommended anatomy background. Luckily, it turns out I learnt more than I realized creating diagrams for that textbook company than I realized.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

How's everyone enjoying the course after (or during) week 1?  Slides in the vids were a bit muddled at times, and the instructor's got a nice boring drone going on, but the material's good and sciency :)  Honestly, will likely have to review the slides at least once more to wrap my noodle around some of the more detailed (biochem) aspects of this week's module.

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Sounds like fun... let's hope I have the time to devote to actually finishing the course.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I watched all the week one lectures yesterday and having my reading set for Friday.  I had to do a bit of googling during the lectures, but not too much.  It's pretty well organized, but he's right when he says you can't be starting the course from no knowledge.  For me, grade 12 bio covered enough that I'll get through the first week okay, but I suspect the workload will increase as it goes along and I find more gaps in my background knowledge.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Went through the lectures, guide, and supplimental material.  Aced the quiz.  Awesome stuff.  Reading LyLe McDonald and Alan Aragon's stuff was at least enough so that I can keep up just fine despite having no background in biology.

LOL, I love how he pronounces hypertrophy.

I think I'm going to make it a challenge goal, if anyone has any Q's or needs any help, feel free to ask away in my challenge thread.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

How's week 2 going for everybody?

I'm about halfway through, did all the reading and watched 1/3 of the lectures.

My opinion on creatine supplimentation may have been swayed by this week's material. I just might give it a try when I start bulking again.

This has been an easier week for me. I've spent a lot of time debunking dumb things low carbers say in various arguments over the years, and have read a lot of research and physiology texts on the subject. This week's material could be subtited "why you should eat a high carb diet".

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Ugh, my school/work schedule has not even allowed me to finish watching week 1. I'll catch up this weekend I swear.

I know that feeling ;)

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%