Forums are back in action! ×

Broke the gym guy's brain when I said, "I want to lift heavy."

"Long time reader, first time writer, blah blah blah..."

Ever since my friend introduced me to Nerd Fitness and Paleo several years ago, I have had an on again, off again interest in and/or focus on fitness. The only thing I played in high school was the clarinet, so as you can imagine, I am unfamiliar with the concept of being "in shape" with regard to endurance and stamina of physical activity.

All that said, after I read Staci's story, it has been in the back of my brain that I wanted to lift heavy. It percolated in my mind for quite a while, and then a few weeks ago, I verbailzed it. That just pushed me to finally get serious and give it an honest go.

I got a 14 day pass to the gym closest to me, and when I went in to get the low down on how everything worked, the guy in charge asked me if I'd ever been a member of a gym before. I told him no and he said, "So what brings you in?" I told him that I needed access to the rack and the olympic bar. He is caught off guard to say the least, and says, "Uh... um... well, were you involved in sports in school?" Nope. "Then... what are you wanting to do?"

"Lift heavy."

He can't even process this. He basically just shakes off the whole encounter and is like, "Let me show you around..." It was hilarious and awesome and about twenty minutes later, I did my first squat with the bar. I am loving the simplicity of Stronglifts and its no nonesense approach to getting stronger and living better. I am totally in on the next 6 week challenge, and I'm excited to have a dedicated place I can geek out about my squat form and people geek out with me instead of telling me that I'm going to get "too bulky." HA.

Jokes on you, suckers. :)

Life's a Toaster.

"If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself." -Sebastian

Current Challenge Thread

Battle Log

Level 1 Troll Warrior

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

Yay ladies who squat! It's totally addicting :) Can't wait to see what you accomplish during the next challenge. As another high school musician (I played the cello) I seriously can't get over the fact that I didn't get into fitness sooner - seems like when you separate "fitness" from "team sports," it gets a whole lot more fun.

Now you have to learn to deadlift - my second favorite thing to do at the gym!

I lift and lug. ... but refuse to be called a lady! Welcome to the rebellion!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Badass babes bearing barbell

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Yay! It's great when you can totally blow someone's preconceived notions of gender roles out of the water. And lifting is Awesome!

He's probably still shaking his head even now ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously