Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy Ideas for Decorating a Cubicle?

So, I've been spending my whole summer working in a cubicle, and just found out that I'll be continuing my research into the year. Since I'm an undergrad, I was getting shuffled from cube to cube for a big part of the summer, but now I finally have one that I get to call my own.

I'd like to decorate my cubicle to make it look less like a boring grey box, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd love to include some nerdy or fitness inspirational decorations, if I can.

Do any of you guys work in cubes? How are yours decorated/do you have anything that you think is particularly cool?

Shorn - Level 1 Shadar-Kai

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 2 CHA - 2 

Current Challenge: N/A  

Daily Battle Log

--------------------------------

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

Gary was here! Ash is a loser!

I've got a couple things.  A SWAG slinky from a company trying to sell me things, a few giant microbes (I'm a microbiologist), Batman and Rouge Happy Meal toys (bequeathed to me by a friend who left the company), and three pins on my wall: a Mordin Solus face my friend sold at PAX a year or two ago, an "I <3 Nerds" one with Beaker as the "I" and Dr. Honeydew as the "<3," and a quote from Einstein: "If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn't call it research."

If I had a slightly cleaner desk, I'd add in some more microbes, but my house is loaded up enough with them that my nerd is sufficiently covered there.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

The general formula in labs I've worked in seems to be:
- A few scarily accurate PhD comics/xkcd comics to soothe the frayed nerves 
- Trophy swag procured from conferences or company rep visits 
- Perhaps some giant microbes (the girl sitting opposite me had this giant MRSA which used to peer accusingly over the partition into my cubicle as I was typing up my work ("you lysed them! YOU MONSTER"))

Also, depending on your particular nerdy tastes there is always another papercraft template to procrastinate with :P 

Level 2 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Intro | Challenges: 1, 2 {currently on challenge hiatus}

ThinkGeek.com has a lot of cubicle-friendly items.

I second the ThinkGeek.com suggestion! LOVE that site - I get lost for hours just daydreaming about all the things I could do with all the things I'll probably never buy.... :P

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I have race bibs and movie/music posters decorating my cubicle. Plus I have wooden peg games scattered about; you know the pyramid where you have to leave one peg empty and then jump pegs until you just leave one

The local theater does old movies and re-releases the posters with it, the Scifi ones get taken as soon as they go up, but I did manage to score a Rocky Horror Picture Show and a Pink Floyd Exp "Animals"  poster

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I've got a floating TARDIS, a Jacob's ladder, a slinky, various little figurines & little creatures (yay dragons).  I ordered a bunch of desk stuff from Think Geek... they have AWESOME stuff as people have said already, but I liked them so much I never brought them to work.

I wish I worked in a cube. I work retail at the moment and hate it.

Maybe decorate with a TriForce?

If it were me I'd have some pokeballs laying about, perhaps as paperweights.

Gosh, I should make pokeball paperweights. Genius.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens