Forums are back in action! ×

What is your reward?

Ok, so I have started this thing where I set small goals to be accomplished in a set number of days.  For example: x number of squats in 30 days, x pushup in 100 days, etc.  Mini challenges if you will

Once each goal is accomplished, I would like to reward myself with a small something and I'm looking for ideas.

Since I expect to reward myself often, the reward has to be inexpensive, so I'm wondering :

What is your reward?

I'll go first, but credit goes to Alice.x.  She gave me this idea in her thread: If I do 1000 jumping jacks in 30 days, I'll buy myself some nice underwear.  

Sysydo, Lady of the brook

September-October's no challenge Nerd Fitness New Sysydo

Big dreams come in little steps. Whenever you get overwhelmed with the big picture, sit down, take a deep breath and plan the next step. At times, it’s not a graceful step, sometimes it’s not a straight step, but it’ll get you foreward and over a tough hurdle one step at a time.†—Polly Letofsky

At the end of this 6-week challenge, if I achieve a C or above on my fitness goals, I'm gonna sign up to a beginner's parkour session.

Once all of my credit card debt is cleared, I will allow myself to start saving $100/month to buy a Surly Troll.

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

I like to buy something like a new water bottle or workout gloves that make me even more excited to go to the gym! I'm a music addict too, so buying a new album of something I really love on iTunes is a good motivator for me. If you're a reading fiend at all, maybe a new book? I have a friend that just lets herself loose in the makeup department and buys the first thing that catches her eye, but I don't find that too appealing as I don't wear makeup that often. Maybe nail polish if anything!

I think the hard part is to stay away from "a big dinner out with my husband where I can order whatever I want" or "that thing I avoid eating all the rest of the time because I love it to a fault" - I'm sure it works for some but I find food rewards tend to be a bit counter-productive for me. 

Interesting idea. My reward has always been feeling better about myself, but I think once I complete the 6-week challenge I might try this out. I've been thinking about getting a FitBit Flex. Or maybe I'll make that my reward if I complete the 6-week challenge... hmmm...

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

When I hit weight milestones I set for my lifting goals, I buy t-shirts. For example, my initial epic quest, final strength goal was to hit a 400 lb squat, 300 lb bench, and 500 lb deadlift. When I achieved all 3 recently, I got myself the starting strength shirt.  The next two milestones are a 1400lb total and 1500 lb total between the 3, and I will get shirts when I get those. I have a plan for some short shorts for the day that I am finally succesful at cutting bodyfat down to below 20%. I find as long as it's every few months, an article of clothing doesn't break the bank.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm with ravnos. Living well and the feeling I have is the best reward. For me, rewarding myself with things (food) sort of got me into a physical mess in the first place. So for now, I'm a little anxious about tying accomplishments to things. 

That said, nice underwear can make you feel good about your physical accomplishment and propel you to future success. Rewarding yourself with new/more fitness gear will do that as well. I think the more direct the nexus between the accomplishment and the reward, the more likely it will breed more success.

Thanks for the great ideas guys.  There are a few I'll be adding to my list.

Big dreams come in little steps. Whenever you get overwhelmed with the big picture, sit down, take a deep breath and plan the next step. At times, it’s not a graceful step, sometimes it’s not a straight step, but it’ll get you foreward and over a tough hurdle one step at a time.†—Polly Letofsky

Of course feeling good about yourself is a reward in and of itself but I like to feel physically rewarded for my hard work! Sometimes I do small things like buy pretty nail polish and paint my nails, get a pedicure, take an entire evening to treat myself to a bubble bath. (Can you tell I'm girly?) If its a bigger goal I'll buy something new to wear to the gym or get a massage. It really is so important to take care of yourself! Do what makes you happy and truly makes you feel good! I love the new underwear suggestion! I'm gonna add that one to my list! 

What a great idea this was. I'm so glad I found it because it helped me find what I needed to push myself further today at the gym:

If I run/walk 2 miles today and take those first few steps to Mordor then I'll reward myself next paycheck with a pedometer (or other piece of workout equipment) :3

Level 2 Dwarf Warrior 

STR: 6 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 5 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 1

Height: 5'1"  Weight: 210 lbs.
Squat: 155x5x5, 195 1RM
Deadlft: 175x5, 180 1RM
Bench: 95x5x3, 100 1RM

"Now we stand together, Warriors unite;
Vikings forever, Fighting side by side"

-- "Norsemen of Steel" - Wulfgar

I am on a bit of a super hero bender at the moment... Part way though my last 6 week challenge I found mini surprise marvel figurines on sale. I get one for each week of the challenge, just for doing it! I now have 9 on display and look forward to thinking about my progress and seeing what surprise is in the next package! Very nerdy... But that is why this place is working for me :D

• Like 1

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

I am on a bit of a super hero bender at the moment... Part way though my last 6 week challenge I found mini surprise marvel figurines on sale. I get one for each week of the challenge, just for doing it! I now have 9 on display and look forward to thinking about my progress and seeing what surprise is in the next package! Very nerdy... But that is why this place is working for me :D

I love this!

Well, it looks like my "better health" efforts inspired my family in joining me.  We will have a home gym in the basement.  We bought an elliptical machine and a multi-station.  My next rewards will be free weights and other accessories to complete the gym.

• Like 1