Forums are back in action! ×

I'm 53. My weight topped at 324 last February. Since then, with Unleash Your Thin and following up with paleo eating, I've lost about 35 pounds. 90 to go. At this point, my regular intake is almost perfect Whole30. If (when?) I stop using xylitol in my tea, I will be 100% Whole30. I just don't see myself going back to the old way of eating because it was killing me.

For exercise, I have been walking and using my pathetic collection of dumbbells. I also built a lat machine (one cable) in my garage, with a third pulley down low to allow bicep curls. I'm outgrowing my few dumbbells, so I ordered some standard 14" dumbbell handles. When they arrive this week, I will pick up some standard plates and level up 5 pounds on all my dumbbell exercises.

I should buy an oly bar and start powerlifting (bench, squat, and dead lifts), but I'm not sure now is the right time. My knees have been complaining a lot. I asked my doctor to prescribe a course of muscle relaxants to see whether that does the trick, but she is on vacation. Until I have a better idea what is causing my knee pain, I should probably defer the powerlifting. For now, it is enough to ask my knees to carry around my 290 pounds. (Also, there is that little issue of cash flow in a bad economy.)

Most of the folks here seem a lot younger than me. However, I refuse to straggle at the back of the pack.

Jim

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

Thank you. I'm glad to be here. The folks here seem highly motivated. There's a lot of energy on this site. I still need to figure out all the game lingo. I was never into computer games that much, but I did enjoy the audiobook of The Hunger Games. My favorite line in the entire trilogy:

"I really can't think about kissing when I've got a rebellion to incite."
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

It seems oddly suited to this site.   :peaceful:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge