Forums are back in action! ×

How many hours of sleep?

Hey nerds!

I've got a question. One can hear a lot of recommendations about the amount of sleep that is necessary to be recovered or, in general, to have a healthy life. 8 hours, 7,5 hours, 3 + 1,5 hours (biphasic sleep), poliphasic, 10 hours, 6 hours...

Does anyone have a good source about this matter? I think that we could share our experiences here, too. I tried biphasic sleep a few months ago, but I give up because I lift weights and I was afraid of not being well recovered.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

I have no scientific knowledge to back up my claim but I think everyones needs are different. I find regardless of how much sleep I get I want more but I am running on roughly 5 hours sleep right now and I feel perfectly fine! I would still take a nap this afternoon if I could get one, lol! You have to also remember that you don't just recover when you're sleeping! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

Guest Dirty Deads

Very interested in seeing how this topic goes. I have been getting 4 hours at night,  then another 4-5 later in the day. It seems to make me more tired than if I slept straight through for 9 hours.

Very interested in seeing how this topic goes. I have been getting 4 hours at night,  then another 4-5 later in the day. It seems to make me more tired than if I slept straight through for 9 hours.

How many time have you been sleeping in two different periods of time? I've read that one could be a couple of weeks until his body gets used to sleep 4,5 + 4,5. Also, there are studios that say that one should sleep a multiple of 90 minutes (i. e. 3 or 4,5 hours), so maybe your problem is sleeping 4 or 5 hours instead of 90'X. Avoiding coffee also helps. I don't remember more info, but I can try to do a new search on the Internet in order to refresh my knowledge.

My experience is weird. I would like to try 'free-sleeping', but I am too obsessive with time and I think that this could be counterproductive. Now I think I am sleeping between 6 and 7 hours. I don't use an alarm clock to wake up, but I am very tired during the day, so I think that my sleep could be better.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

Guest Dirty Deads

How many time have you been sleeping in two different periods of time? I've read that one could be a couple of weeks until his body gets used to sleep 4,5 + 4,5. Also, there are studios that say that one should sleep a multiple of 90 minutes (i. e. 3 or 4,5 hours), so maybe your problem is sleeping 4 or 5 hours instead of 90'X. Avoiding coffee also helps. I don't remember more info, but I can try to do a new search on the Internet in order to refresh my knowledge.

My experience is weird. I would like to try 'free-sleeping', but I am too obsessive with time and I think that this could be counterproductive. Now I think I am sleeping between 6 and 7 hours. I don't use an alarm clock to wake up, but I am very tired during the day, so I think that my sleep could be better.

it's only been about a week. It came about when I attempted to stay awake to reset my sleep schedule since I was staying awake until 4 am. I wasn't able to stay awake and ended up stuck in this rut of 4-5x2.

Now, I will say, I hate sleep. I have fought sleep since I was a child and it's never changed. Byphasic just might work for me if I give it a proper go. Definitely need to stop the coffee after the first sleep.

Read about polyphastic awhile ago and how some people do something like 3 1.5 hour increments over the course of a 24 hour period and are able to be fully energized. The problem is they need to be spaced extremely evenly throughout the day which conflicts with most lifestyles.

Personally, I need 7 to function normally, 8+ to fully recover from lifting or else I'll be more sore for days.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

7 to 8 hours for me. Any longer or shorter will make me hate myself. If I sleep any shorter, I'll feel fine in the morning, but fall asleep a few hours later.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

I'm in the same boat as you.  I don't know how many hours of sleep are good for me... I have a really tough time falling asleep so it's hard to time it right so that I can do good experimentation when I have to get up at a certain time.

Challenge thread | Battle logs | Active PVP | @PetziCola

Start: 349 lbs | Current: 332.6 lbs | Goal: 275 lbs

Endomondo | MyFitnessPal | Personal website

"Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first... your spirit, or your body!" - Bane, The Dark Knight Rises

Six Week Challenge Weight Loss Progress:

20%
20%

I'm a little cranky if I don't get a solid 19 hours of sleep.

One of our cats went into season recently and we all got very little sleep for a week because of the calling.  It was not a good thing.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I used to think I could get away with sleeping only 5 hours a day, but the truth is that I wasn't on top condition and it's proved that lack of sleep makes you more easy to persuade and less likely to defend you opinions.

I've been trying to sleep 7-8 hours a day for the last year and it's really helping me with my weight/strength goals... as well as to not fall sleep during the day.

Name: Red Alastor Race: Human / Ursus Kin 

Class: Hoplite Recruit >>> Target Class: Hoplite Elite

(STR):13 (DEX):12 (CON):12 (KNO):11 (WIS):15 (CHA):11

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." -Lena Horne

I'm going to experiment definitively with biphasic sleep. 21 to 22:30 pm and 3 to 7:30 am. If someone is interested I can tell you how it's going.

I'm curious as to the logic behind the hours you've picked to sleep? I'm also curious to see how this works out! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

Alright, so I am sure you have all heard of REM (Rapid Eye-Movement or dream sleep) and non-REM sleep, along with circadian rhythms or your biological clock.

Each person has a different amount of sleep they need according to their biological clock, but most people need an average of 8 hours. This is because your rhythm can differ depending on how long you have been awake and how many times you switched from light to dark (which is why they say looking at tvs, phones, and commuters messes with your sleep).

Now, there are four stages of sleep: 3 non REM, and the REM stage. 1) About 5 mins, Muscles slow 2) 10-25 mins, first real sleep 3) Deep Sleep, restores body

4) REM is where you Dream, restores the mind

*Depending on what you need, you will spend different amounts of time in each stage, but every whole cycle takes about 90 minutes total. You will have 4 to 6 cycles depending on your biological sleep cycle. (You will probably need 6, 7 and a half, or 9 hours of sleep. Most are 7.5, and use more or less of 30 mins to fall asleep, hence 8 hours)

You may feel unrested if you wake up in stage 3 or 4 (like when you sleep too long and feel groggy, even when you got more sleep). To avoid this, set your schedule up so your sleep is in 90 minute increments, with some time to spare to fall asleep.

My roommate taught me this, but there is also this handy site about it: http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

• Like 2

Tahiti: It's a magical place

I need about 8 to function and 9 to function well. Less than 7 and I'm unhappy. If I'm fighting off illness or a new surge of allergens I sometimes need more than 9.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!