Forums are back in action! ×

Whats your type?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your type?

• Guardian (ESTJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ISTJ)
    • Artisan (ESTP, ISTP, ESFP, ISFP)
    • Idealist (ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP)
    • Rational (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)

I thought we could use a thread discussing Myers-Briggs types. I have a theory: Sensors (xSxx types) make up like 85% of the population, but I bet a board like this skews towards intuitives (xNxx). Here's why: senors tend to think in concrete terms based on externally observed information.

Kiersey grouped MBTI types into 4 groups. The Guardians and Artisans are the various types of sensors, while the Idealists and Rationals are the intuitives. Nerds like us, who are futurists, scientists, interested in the fantastic and impossible, are probably more likely to be intuitives. Post your type and lets see.

I'm an ENTP (one of the Rational types) along with some of my favorite people (Tony Stark, Tyrion Lannister and Jadzia Dax).

Edit: You could probably use a link to the test if you don't already know your type.

Just took an (online) test that placed me at INTJ. Apparently I'm a rarity. It says that INTJ are only about 2% of the population and even more rare (0.8%) among females like myself.

Apaprently I'm in the company of JFK, Hannibal, and Gandalf (among others). Interesting...

EDIT:

Of further interest, now that there's a link to the same test that others are taking, I've taken that one and gotten a different result:

ISTJ
Introvert(89%)  Sensing(1%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(67%)
  • You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)
ENTJ

Extravert(22%)  iNtuitive(62%)  Thinking(50%)  Judging(44%)

• You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (22%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Been a minute since I took one of these- I'm not particularly surprised. 

INTJ
Introvert(56%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Thinking(62%)  Judging(11%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)

In the company of Hannibal, the military strategist, and Hannibal, the cannibal.

I always get a IXTX variaton. Seems like i'm a borderline.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

INFJ

Introvert(33%)  iNtuitive(75%)  Feeling(12%)  Judging(67%)

• You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
  • You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

INTJ

Introvert(78%)  iNtuitive(25%)  Thinking(38%)  Judging(11%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)

Looking at the traits on an overview level I would have pegged myself as INTP,  and I've gotta admit I usually dislike these things and the idea that we can all be categorised this neatly but taking the test and reading up on the result: http://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality there is a few bits that I quietly (even if I don't like it), find correct

• "every idea that is generated by the INTJ’s mind or reaches it from the outside needs to pass the cold-blooded filter called “Is this going to work?â€. This is the INTJ’s coping mechanism and they are notorious for applying it all the time, questioning everything and everyone."
  • " Anyone who does not have enough talent or simply does not see the point, including the higher ranks of management, will immediately and likely permanently lose their respect." definitely this, although I'd to be honest I'd never considered this was anything to do with personality types, obviously you always get those who are all about holding the position, the title etc but I figured the bulk of people took the position of "your title means nothing until you prove you deserve it"
  • "INTJs dislike rules and artificial limitations – everything should be questionable and open to re-evaluation. They may be idealists (impossible is nothing) and cynics (everybody lies) at the same time. Whatever the circumstances, you can always rely on the INTJ to “fill in†the gaps in the idea – they are most likely to come up with an unorthodox solution." - And herein lies why despite my humble paid by the hour position where I have (and want) little responsibility and get to wear overalls or a t-shirt rather than shirt and tie I keep getting dragged into meetings with a table full of supervisors and managers, while my peers are left alone.
  • "Every personality type has many weak spots and INTJs are not an exception. There is one area where their brilliant mind often becomes completely useless and may even hinder their efforts – INTJs find it very difficult to handle romantic relationships, especially in their earliest stages. People with this personality type are more than capable of loving and taking care of the people close to them, but they are likely to be completely clueless when it comes to attracting a partner." - Yup.
ISTJ

Introvert(78%)  Sensing(38%)  Thinking(75%)  Judging(89%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
  • You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (89%)

This is the type I always get, to varying degrees.

INTJ
Introvert(67%)  iNtuitive(25%)  Thinking(62%)  Judging(22%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Yup. No surprises here

Height 6'2" Age 26

345/215/435

Strength isn’t just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I’m covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength! Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)

I rate either INFP or INFJ depending on the test I take. The most accurate one I've found actually showed a line, with a split in the middle. Whichever side of the split had more of a percentage, the more of that trait you have/use.

I'm almost smack in the center between judging and perceiving.

100% Introverted

89% iNtuition

74% Feeling (though I try to be rational)

53% Judging (this time...)

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

74% Feeling (though I try to be rational)

Actually feeling=/=emotional

It's explained very nicely here.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

ISTJ
Introvert(67%)  Sensing(1%)  Thinking(38%)  Judging(78%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)

I have NEVER scored E

depending on the test I take I am I/S pretty much interchangeably

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

ESTJ. I have been ever since I first took the test as a 12 year old, but interestingly I have become less strongly STJ over the years. I am still a very strong extrovert, in fact I am one of the few people among those I am close to who is truly extroverted in the gets-energy-from-being-with-groups-of-people sense. Needless to say, that can be frustrating for me! 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Strong I/N, moderate J.  I pretty much flip between T and F. 

INTJ

Introvert(67%)  iNtuitive(88%)  Thinking(1%)  Judging(33%)

• You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
  • You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

The really important part of Myers-Briggs is understanding functional preference. ENTP doens't mean that I am an extrovert who uses intuition and thinking while perceiving. It means that I extravert my perceiving function (intuition) as my dominant function, supported by my auxiliarly function (thinking), which I direct inward (introvert). This site does a really good job of explaining it by type.

ISTJ
Introvert(100%)  Sensing(1%)  Thinking(1%)  Judging(33%)
  • You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

im not sure if im proud or dismayed at the 100% introvert score...

this person really wants to delete their account but can't because it's not allowed.

I'm an ENFP. I had to take the Myers-Brigg in my assessment class last semester. And agreed that functional preference is the big take-away from this test.

Not sure what my percentage breakdown is (my result packet is at home), but I know I'm close on the E/I scale and almost 100% P. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Is anyone aware of any actual science/evidence/respctable psychology that underpins these different categories and distinctions?  I'm always suspicious of "personality tests", because they tend to either reflect the obvious or consist mainly of Barnum Statements

Or is this all just a useful (and potentially illuminating) metaphor?  Or just quackery?  And is this just the kind of scepticism that you'd expect from an INFJ?

I ask (rather than just googling it) because I've found material which regards the whole MBTI as nonsense, and material which defends it wholeheartedly, or as a metaphor or framework which has value even if there's no evidence for it.

For my own personality type, I've found outright quackery (apparently my powers of intuition may border on the psychic) and weirdly accurate (neat thinker, messy desk).

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I think it's just useful to know how you process information. I was reading this is a combined group effort Myers Briggs is actually Isobel Myers Briggs- the a daughter who carried the work further.

There is no denying people are more social or less social.  There is also no denying how people process sort identify and deal with information.  

That's why some people are good with math- and others with abstract thinking- there are some people who are good with stressful situations- and others who are not.  My BF - he is fairly logical- but when it comes to me? he's wildly irrational and makes decisions based almost entirely off feelings.   I'm ALWAYS a list person- what's in my best interst- what makes the most sense for my life.  What is the LOGICAL rational thing to do.   

NO denying these things- call it quackery or whatever you want- but it makes sense because it's founded in truth- I don't think it's hard and fast- people are to varied for that- but there are general guidelines on how people tend to process and deal with information- I don't' think that's really debatable. 

Is anyone aware of any actual science/evidence/respctable psychology that underpins these different categories and distinctions?  I'm always suspicious of "personality tests", because they tend to either reflect the obvious or consist mainly of Barnum Statements

Or is this all just a useful (and potentially illuminating) metaphor?  Or just quackery?  And is this just the kind of scepticism that you'd expect from an INFJ?

Metaphor. Obviously there are more than 16 people on Earth and we're all unique snowflakes, etc. The value lies in understanding functional preference to see what needs improved on. For example, look at Iron Man: Tony Stark (ENTP) uses so much Ne and Ti that he solves problems faster than pretty much everyone else. As we progress through three movies, he begins to develop his tertiary function (Fe) and he learns to include other peoples' feelings in his calculations (notably Rhodey and Pepper).

As to your last question, my wife is an INFJ and she is pretty skeptical. I think it stems from the fact that INFJs can lose sight of reality because they are so driven by perfectionism. It causes them to deny things that conflict with their ideal world. That's just an ENTP's opinion though, and we aren't always the most diplomatic.

ENFJ

Extravert(89%)  iNtuitive(25%)  Feeling(38%)  Judging(1%)

• You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (89%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

wat. What does this mean? haha

OH THIS IS THE LUCKIEST POST EVER! 777 POST! :D

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

wat. What does this mean? haha

I'll just leave this right here.

Personality Page has pretty good explanations of all the types.

Like I said before, it's a nice analogy for understanding behavior. Some people take it to extremes, i.e. "I'll only hire an ENTJ for my team lead" which is nonsense. For most of us it's just an interesting insight.

As to your last question, my wife is an INFJ and she is pretty skeptical. I think it stems from the fact that INFJs can lose sight of reality because they are so driven by perfectionism. It causes them to deny things that conflict with their ideal world. That's just an ENTP's opinion though, and we aren't always the most diplomatic.

Ah... that was a joke.  As in... "I don't believe in astrology!" "Typical Leo...."

I guess I can see a value if it's only ever treated as a metaphor, and even then with great care.  Especially if it turns out that there's an absence for any good evidence to underpin all this.  I guess the intovert-ambivert-extrovert scale seems reasonably well established and defensible, and seems to accord with a lot of people's experience and - if what I've read is right - the psychology literature.  Although that's a scale, not a binary opposition as this test seems to ahve.  As for the rest.... dunno.  It's useful to have an insight into the ways in which other people might think and function, and there are plenty of people who seem to lack the imagination and/or empathy to realise that it might be very different inside someone else's head.

But looking at the site linked earlier (and in particular INFJ and INTJ, which are the two types that tend to come up for me), I see some quite remarkable claims.  Old Testament figures and Ancient Roman rulers, English authors from the middle ages to the 19th century, fictional characters... all listed as being INFJ or INTJ.  Hmmm.....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

INFJ

Introvert(89%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Feeling(12%)  Judging(33%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)

You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

This is me.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens