Forums are back in action! ×

Dr. Sleep - Stephen King (newly released sequel to The Shining)

We don't seem to be having a book club for this challenge, so I thought I'd invite you all to read and discuss Dr. Sleep.  I just reached part 2.  I think that even if you have only seen the movie, you could pick it up with no issues.  But if you've never read The Shining, it is even more haunting than the eerie Kubrick film and worth a read first.  The new novel features grown-up Dan Torrance, who escaped from the Overlook hotel with his life, but far from unscathed

This is the first King I have read in a long time.  When I was a teenager I loved the Stephen King classics like Firestarter and Christine, and The Shining was definitely the best of the mix.  I was less impressed with later works and eventually stopped reading King all together.  But so far I am enjoying Dr. Sleep and curious to see where it is leading.

The Kindle edition is on sale right now for $7.50.  Good thing I preordered for $11.  Grr.

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

I think you want to at least have seen the movie, or the character development of Dan Torrance won't make much sense.  Reading The Shining would be better of course, but I don't think completely necessary so long as you know the back story.  If you have never seen The Shining (the older Kubrick version, not the newer remake), it is a really great film with excellent casting and pacing.  But wait until the sun goes down.   ;)

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

Dr. Sleep feels like old school Stephen King.  I am really liking it so far.  I don't think you need to read the Shining first-it would proabably be best, but not necessary.  This story stands on it's own but you will miss some of the little things.

Level 2   Human Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: current  1

I got to part three today, I'm really enjoying it!  It does feel similar to old-school Stephen King, but at the same time it feels very current and relevant.  It seems quite taut as well, good pacing.  Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

I finished this, and I must say I really enjoyed it and it was much better than I expected.  I have a few minor quibbles but overall I think he has done well by the character of Danny Torrance.

My first quibble is the most petty, but as a resident of Tampa I must sadly inform you that there are no beaches within a mile of Tampa as described in the beginning of the book.  Unless you count the coastline of Tampa Bay itself as beach, and really, you shouldn't, especially with very nice beaches a short drive away.  Yes, I know, it's a very minor detail, it just bugged me.

Next, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the True Knot as the villains.  I think I'd rather have seen Dan dealing with horrible ghostie people.  But I must admit that he did a good job fleshing them out and I especially liked Rose the Hat as a character.

On other websites I have seen people express irritation that Danny grew up to be a "loser alcoholic"  but to me it doesn't seem right that he be anything else, talk about PTSD!  Seeing him working through that to come out the other side having gained control in more ways then one, and a loving family to boot - that was very satisfying.

I enjoyed Abra, and in some ways I like the way she was a sort of archetypal "little Danny", but at the same time, again I think I'd have rather had the focus really be on Dan.

That said, the ending wraps up the loose ends in a big bow, and that did feel good.  But really I think the best spot for ending it was when Dan left the psychic remnants of his father at the site of the Overlook.  That was a beautiful moment, imo.  But I know a lot of people would hate it if it had ended there.  I tend to prefer a more ambiguous ending, but that's just me.

All in all it was an entertaining read.  I was especially impressed with the overall style, which doesn't perfectly recreate his original style from the first book, but somehow adapts it to today without losing its vivid directness.

I just read this one, thought it was a darn solid story. It's never going to be one of King's Big Books, but as attackbunny pointed out, it felt like King in his prime. Looking forward to the next offering. ^_^

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!