Forums are back in action! ×

Throwing Away the Yo-yo for a Big-boy's Game

Greetings nerds!

I've been what you might call a yo-yo champion. Yo-yo dieting. Yo-yo exercising. Pretty much if you can jump into it for a couple weeks then abandon it, I've probably been there ahead of you.

Nevertheless, I've learned a lot about fitness and nutrition over time. I've been seduced by the Dark Side of fad diet and exercise programs. I've attempted to swim across the eel-infested waters of national, brand-name diet programs based on behavior modifications and point systems. I've had success...and yet, here I am. I've done some things right and learned good information, but I've always attempted an all or nothing approach and then find myself shocked that my willpower fizzles once life throws up barriers.

I'm 40 years old, 5'10", and just under 330 lbs. I am sedentary in my career and (most of) my hobbies. I have a hideous family history of fat-disease (diabetes II, heart disease, etc.), and I've reached the age when I can hear the clock ticking on the time-bomb of my health. I want to diffuse that bomb - for my son, my wife, and my future self.

As far as nerd cred: I'm a computer programmer. I've been a dedicated Star Wars fan since watching the original run of A New Hope in 1977 when I was 5. I'm a dedicated bookworm in a variety of subjects - fantasy, some sci-fi, philosophy/religion, and books in my hobbies/interests. I've been playing video games for years. I've been playing tabletop RPGs for a little over a year, and I started GM-ing my own game in May (Pathfinder RPG). I took marching band as my P.E. credit in high school.

As far as my experience: I enjoy the heck out of weight training, but I've been unable to find a workout partner. I've been following a paleo/primal diet for a year or more, with about 65% compliance. I'm really good at maintaining my weight, but I jump upward in spurts of binging. I've been a kravist (Krav Maga) in the past, but cost and schedule have prevented me from practicing recently. I've trained as a hunter-gatherer in primitive wilderness skills, and I want to train as a true scout in the tradition of the Apache. I'm fascinated by parkour, fencing, various practical martial arts, shooting sports (archery and firearms), and some of the challenge race events (Tough Mudder, Go Ruck, etc.).

I want to live my life as a warrior-poet. (Not necessarily of the Warrior class, but not ruling it out, either.) Next year, I don't want to find myself standing in the same spot, wondering where the year went and why I don't seem to be moving forward.

Let the adventures begin!

Welcome, fellow Nerd and goood on you for taking up this quest. Those here are willing and able to support you and give good and timely advice, should you but ask. There is a lot of good info around here. I am glad to see another father want to be there for his child; it shows character. Welcome to the Rebellion.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Hi Krioni!

Sounds like you've got some awesome plans! And I'm pleased we get to see them come to light! I definitely agree with some of your aims, I'm thinking of starting fencing back up again and I want to look into martial arts (I have looked into a martial art that basically makes you a Ninja Turtle! But I can never remember the name...)

If you're looking for a class/guild to join I'm going to suggest that Assassins (A bit biased though ... ;) ) But also because you've mentioned parkour and some kick ass fighting training!

Best of luck to you and I'll be happy to put myself forward as a question-answerer and motivation buddy :)

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Thanks, gents.

I'm keeping Assassins as one of my top options, VP.

There are a number of martial arts that I feel are more practical (as opposed to some of the more traditional Eastern ones that tend to fall harder on the "arts" side of the equation than the "martial"): KM is great for baseline fighting skills and practical defensives, but I'd like to supplement it with some Escrima for stick and knife training and Brazilian Jiujitsu for groundwork/grappling. I've even read some interesting things about Western martial arts (broadswoards, bucklers, maces, etc.) and I know there's a practice group in our area.

And if you are interested in really getting crazy good skills at invisibility, movement, psychological warfare, etc., check out traditional scout training. A great resource is: www.onpointtactical.com.

OH wow awesome, definitely something to look at to increase my ninja skills,thanks!

And the sword fighting with swords and bucklers and such is also something I want to look into. I think one of them is called HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and if you've got a practice group nearby you should definitely do it :D

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4