Forums are back in action! ×

I beat my fear of needles!

I've had a fear of needles since a young age. mostly due to a botched blood test by a doctor (not a nurse!)

I think I've finally beaten my fear. I had a tattoo in March, Ive had several blood tests and dental work throughout the year (requiring various needles and a canular) with minimal panick.

Yesterday I had the bridge of my nose pierced! I love the look of it and I did it with minimal nerves :) I think this was the final part of beating this fear.

Not a fitness woot but I feel really good about myself!

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

Good for you!  I have a fear of needles too, but I've learned how to walk and talk myself through it.  

My tricks (in case it interests any of you needle phobes)

FAR in advance of getting poked:

• I pinch my skin where the needle is going to go (not drawing blood) just to get a feel for my pain tolerance.
  • Visualize a needle, then try to get your body to relax under high anxiety (I'm a singer, so I've had plenty of practice with this  :pride: )
  • Think about facts: how invasive will this procedure really be, how long will I actually in pain, etc.  

IMMEDIATELY before getting poked:

• Acknowledge that life is going to suck for a few minutes, hours or however long you're exposed to this.  This helps me by putting a realistic timeline to how much of an impact this is really going to have (pst! usually not much of an impact).
  • Ask whoever's poking you to talk you through exactly what they're doing.  Also, tell them you have a fear of needles.  They usually know how to deal with people like you.  :-)
  • Think relaxed!  (You've been practicing how to physically relax your body, right?)
  • Cry if you need to (you have nothing to prove!).  Just as long as you don't get hysterical.
  • If it's a blood draw or something extended, close your eyes and breath through it.  I mentally tell myself to relax, and it'll be over soon.  Do not look at the vials!!!!  That's an advanced move.  :-)

AFTER getting poked:

• Analyze what just happened.  Was it as bad as you expected?  Was the pain intolerable or was it similar to when you pinched yourself?  How much time did it take?  Banking reality in your mind is a great way to negate fear, especially if you've had one traumatic episode.  After a few experiences being poked, compare them to that one moment.  What about that moment was different from your others?  Was that a typical experience or a one time incident?

I'm sure there are other tricks, but these are the skills I've honed for myself over the last decade or so.  I say all of this as a person who has had many botched IV lines (often in one procedure), blood draws, and a preemptive strapping down to a table because my dad was more afraid for me than I was and convinced the doctor I was going to freak...I was 6.  My triumph with needles happened this summer.  I was ask to go on a last minute trip to Morocco (awesome!) but needed 6 different vaccinations in order to do so.  By about the 3rd one, it was no longer a big deal.  The nurse was so impressed by how relaxed I was able to make my arm.  :-)  I've avoided flu shots every year despite my luck with catching everything going around because of how terrified I am of needles.  This year, I'm planning on getting one as soon as they're available.

Hope this helps someone!