Forums are back in action! ×

DEXA scans and Implants

Hey,

I am having a DEXA scan at a discount through my gym to find out body composition info and was just wondering if anyone knows how having breast implants could impact the results of this scan? are they likely to just turn up as bodyfat or something in the scan and throw the results off a bit?

Thanks for any info :)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

It will definitely affect the scan, but I can't tell by how much. It will only affect the trunk reading though, which has pretty large uncertainties anyway. The DXA scan can only tell apart two different tissue types at any body site but in the chest area there will both be fat, lean soft tissue AND bone since the ribcage is in the way. To account for that pretty crude assumptions have to be made. Might be good to keep in mind that these models are manufacturer dependent and loosely regulated so if you get scanned somewhere else you can get a pretty different result.

Qualitatively I think that the implants will get put in the lean soft tissue category so my guess is that the scan will underestimate your body fat levels in the trunk. But I'm not sure, for some reason the material composition of different type so of breast implants is not the number one hit on the google machine. :) 

Turns out that they are in the bone category, so it throws off bone density and weight. Works well for me since i was most interested in lean mass, and fat mass!! :) I intend to go back and get a scan done at the same place in 3 months or so - that way the machine and processes are all the same and I can just see the difference rather then putting any real emphasis on the exact numbers

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3