Forums are back in action! ×

Thx, I'm glad you guys liked it!

Anyway, been a while since I posted a progress photo here...

2014FullSizeJunesm_zps4af21a57.jpg

Lighting is a bit different this month, didn't realize I had a lamp on behind me. But overall I just seem bigger. The Jan-June difference is pretty remarkable.

I'm starting to cut here on Sunday. I'll probably dip below 200, barely, at the end of it, but that will likely be my last time seeing the 1xx's on the scale. The early bulk weight jump will put me over 200 for good.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Holy bananas!  I had some catching up to do.

The FODMAPS article is interesting.  The gluten thing makes sense for my specific case (though, some things happened over vacation that really make none of it seem like it fits now -which is actually great).  Anyhow, I could do without the intense snarkiness of the article(s) but I don't think either side of the gluten issue is exactly right. Most things aren't black and white. 

I can't wait to read your bulk article.  Your site is becoming one of my most suggested when people ask me for advice on fitness and diet.  I know a lot of folks around here are toying with a bulk or thinking of it.  I imagine this article is goign to be awesome for that.

Score!! Welcome to muh hood! Have you moved yet or just prepping!  Hope the house sells soon! (I imagine it will since Decatur is a much coveted area).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Holy bananas!  I had some catching up to do.

The FODMAPS article is interesting.  The gluten thing makes sense for my specific case (though, some things happened over vacation that really make none of it seem like it fits now -which is actually great).  Anyhow, I could do without the intense snarkiness of the article(s) but I don't think either side of the gluten issue is exactly right. Most things aren't black and white. 

I can't wait to read your bulk article.  Your site is becoming one of my most suggested when people ask me for advice on fitness and diet.  I know a lot of folks around here are toying with a bulk or thinking of it.  I imagine this article is goign to be awesome for that.

Score!! Welcome to muh hood! Have you moved yet or just prepping!  Hope the house sells soon! (I imagine it will since Decatur is a much coveted area).

Thanks!

Nope, not moving yet. Still prepping to sell our house, should find out later today about when we are going to list, ready to go now, just need to get pics taken, a listing put up, and a sign in the front yard.

Anyone lookin for a 250K house in the Decatur area?

Our real estate agent doesn't want us serious shopping until we accept an offer on ours, since any offer we make will be contingent on selling our current house. We're looking online heavily, and have driven around areas to check them out, but we haven't actually gone in any houses yet (recently at least).

currently cutting

don't panic!

Anyway, bulk #5 has come to a close, started cutting yesterday. I'm looking to lose 1 1/4" inch on the waist this cut, which should take about 17 days total. I should end up just under 200 lbs, in the 198-199 area.

I continue to be amazed at how dialed-in you are to your weight gain/loss ability.  1.25" = 17 days.  I had joked earlier that I wished there was some magical equation that says "do X exercise Y times and eat Z calories and you will gain # of pounds".  It looks like you've really figured out your own personal equation.  That's awesome.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Thanks!

Nope, not moving yet. Still prepping to sell our house, should find out later today about when we are going to list, ready to go now, just need to get pics taken, a listing put up, and a sign in the front yard.

Anyone lookin for a 250K house in the Decatur area?

Our real estate agent doesn't want us serious shopping until we accept an offer on ours, since any offer we make will be contingent on selling our current house. We're looking online heavily, and have driven around areas to check them out, but we haven't actually gone in any houses yet (recently at least).

Ah gotcha! Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  Man, if I were in a home buying place right now...

Can I ask what made y'all want to sell and move?

I continue to be amazed at how dialed-in you are to your weight gain/loss ability.  1.25" = 17 days.  I had joked earlier that I wished there was some magical equation that says "do X exercise Y times and eat Z calories and you will gain # of pounds".  It looks like you've really figured out your own personal equation.  That's awesome.

Oh man. THIS. Seriously.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Its actually pretty simple. I know my maintenance intake amount, give or take 50 cals either way.

I also know that 1/4" on the waist is almost precisely 1 lb of fat for me.

After that it is just a matter of tallying up the cals. I had about a 400 cal deficit yesterday, will probably be pushing 1500 cals today. Tomorrow the tape will be 1/8" smaller than it was on Sunday AM.

Overall to reach my goal I'll need a total deficit of 17500 cals; an average deficit of a shade over 1000 cals/day for 17 days. It is a tough number to hit, but doable; should I miss it I can always cut an extra day or two.

Tracking calories to reach goal is a bit odd simply because for most its a huge number, but with short cuts like this it works quite well. Being able to work toward a number is good motivation to work hard. My cut is over after 17500 deficit cals, period; the sooner I get there the sooner it is over.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Can I ask what made y'all want to sell and move?

A few things.

- With current interest rates we can afford a good bit more expensive house than our current one.

- We've sort of outgrown our house now, if we have another little one, we'll be really cramped.

- Schools in this area are so so (on average, the schools are either very good or horrendous, little in-between), and seems to vary with the whims of the county, we've been switched a few times in the last couple years (while I live in the Decatur mail area and hence list Decatur as the city I live in, I technically live in unincorporated Dekalb, we don't pay Decatur taxes and aren't part of the Decatur school system, though there is a decent chance that Avondale annexes us soon).

- Piggybacking on the school point, there is a much higher child density in that area. The neighborhood we are in now is 95%+ childless (at home); old people and young couples, almost everyone in-between are the hell no to kids type. Most of the kids are babies/toddlers like ours, but lacking our own park for kids and with the low density, there is little interaction.

- We've both fell in love with houses in that area, which are much more "midwestern" than the average Atl home (we both grew up in Wi). Full basements (most finished) and garages are the norm not the exception. Our house is ridiculously charming and has a great yard (I highly doubt we'll find better, uber private nice grassy area), but lacks those niceties.

- Will miss the area though, we definitely live in the cool part of town where there is lots of stuff to do. Its a great place for twentysomethings to live.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Took kiddo to the pool the other day.

While overall this shot kinda sucks (focus is bad, exposure was bad, on the phone camera), and I look like a total bum (needing a haircut and shave bad), it does show what my progress shots do not; these last couple bulks I've really noticed a lot of upper body "thickness".

timelapse78-0022asm_zps3ef9a45a.jpg

currently cutting

don't panic!

A few things.

- With current interest rates we can afford a good bit more expensive house than our current one.

- We've sort of outgrown our house now, if we have another little one, we'll be really cramped.

- Schools in this area are so so (on average, the schools are either very good or horrendous, little in-between), and seems to vary with the whims of the county, we've been switched a few times in the last couple years (while I live in the Decatur mail area and hence list Decatur as the city I live in, I technically live in unincorporated Dekalb, we don't pay Decatur taxes and aren't part of the Decatur school system, though there is a decent chance that Avondale annexes us soon).

- Piggybacking on the school point, there is a much higher child density in that area. The neighborhood we are in now is 95%+ childless (at home); old people and young couples, almost everyone in-between are the hell no to kids type. Most of the kids are babies/toddlers like ours, but lacking our own park for kids and with the low density, there is little interaction.

- We've both fell in love with houses in that area, which are much more "midwestern" than the average Atl home (we both grew up in Wi). Full basements (most finished) and garages are the norm not the exception. Our house is ridiculously charming and has a great yard (I highly doubt we'll find better, uber private nice grassy area), but lacks those niceties.

- Will miss the area though, we definitely live in the cool part of town where there is lots of stuff to do. Its a great place for twentysomethings to live.

Gotcha, gotcha.

Ahh, didn't realize you guys were technically in unicorporated Dekalb.  Yeah, that definitely goes both ways. 

So, what you're saying is that's my dream neighborhood? :P

Yes! I love the houses in that area.  Where I grew up we had the finished basements, too.  It's been weird around here without one (My sister's place, not mine - obvs - though she just moved to Cumming and has a much better place.. anyway..)

Boyf and I just wen to explore a park in that general area.  It was pretty big. Lots of kids, soccer playing, baseball, some kickball leagues, etc.  Definitely seemed like a great family area (and the restaurant next door is pretty delicious - just sayin')

Boyf and I just wen to explore a park in that general area.  It was pretty big. Lots of kids, soccer playing, baseball, some kickball leagues, etc.  Definitely seemed like a great family area (and the restaurant next door is pretty delicious - just sayin')

Up in Cumming? The problem with there is that I work near the airport. The commute to Cumming would be an absolutely epic "journey". We are switching offices soon back to our old one, which is right next to a MARTA station, so I want to be relatively near MARTA tracks.

OR are you talking the Decatur area (I'm at a loss though as to where there is a big park, perhaps over by the big pool)?

Or are you talking Dunwoody/Chamblee? I know there are a couple awesome parks around there, Brooks Run in Dunwoody and Murphy Candler in Chamblee.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Up in Cumming? The problem with there is that I work near the airport. The commute to Cumming would be an absolutely epic "journey". We are switching offices soon back to our old one, which is right next to a MARTA station, so I want to be relatively near MARTA tracks.

OR are you talking the Decatur area (I'm at a loss though as to where there is a big park, perhaps over by the big pool)?

Or are you talking Dunwoody/Chamblee? I know there are a couple awesome parks around there, Brooks Run in Dunwoody and Murphy Candler in Chamblee.

hahaha sorry. Reread that and it's a little ambiguous.  I meant in the Chamblee/Dunwoody area.  I know we saw a sign with the name but I can't recall it for the life of me now. Damn.

ETA:  I dig my sister's place, but Cumming (and most of the other cities/towns up that way) freak me OUT.  Too cookie cutter. Too many giant shopping plazas with the same stores. Yuck.

ETA:  I dig my sister's place, but Cumming (and most of the other cities/towns up that way) freak me OUT.  Too cookie cutter. Too many giant shopping plazas with the same stores. Yuck.

That and as you get away from the city you start getting into the other part of Georgia; Cumming is way out there.

I'm far more comfortable around urban poor than rural poor, especially in the South; super duper especially since in recent times it seems your standard rural poor is armed to the teeth at all times and proud of it; in Georgia that's perfectly legal and seemingly encouraged.

currently cutting

don't panic!

So, house is officially on the market now.

I've been a bit crazy this cut. I've cut hard before, but this is a new level.

4 days in, and 4833 calories of total deficit thus far, incl Sunday which was only just a 550 cal ease-in (averaging >1400 cal deficit the last 3 days). This AM one waist measurement showed 3/8" lost, the other showed 1/4" lost. I suspected there was a bit of bloat on Sun so that 3/8 could really be 1/4, that's what it should have been this AM. Tomorrow AM it should be 3/8" total, which will have me solidly at 33", if not 32.9" in the waist. That is right around a visual threshold, where my abs really start to become a lot more visible unflexed. I'm actually aiming for 32" flat at the end of this cut, which will be 1/2" leaner than I've ever been.

27.6% of the way toward my cutting goal of 17500 total calories of deficit.

Ran 4 miles and walked 4 miles today for exercise.

The scale is officially in WTF territory, I weighed in the 198's today, which is about 5 lbs lower than I've been on light days as of late.

currently cutting

don't panic!

That and as you get away from the city you start getting into the other part of Georgia; Cumming is way out there.

I'm far more comfortable around urban poor than rural poor, especially in the South; super duper especially since in recent times it seems your standard rural poor is armed to the teeth at all times and proud of it; in Georgia that's perfectly legal and seemingly encouraged.

Yes. All of this. 

Hope you don't mind a question

Do you experience any performance drop in your workout when cutting that hard? Or is that mitigated by the (relatively) short duration.

Regards

/ Jolt

Yes and no.

I actually have been seeing an improvement this time around. But I'm to the point that strength to weight ratio matters so much that the pounds lost makes a big difference.

Biggest thing with performance is petering out after a couple sets. Just get that quality early work in and you're good to go.

currently cutting

don't panic!

So I've got a woot. A goal of mine during my last bulk was to hold a half layout front lever. I got it, at least I think I did, its hard to judge whether you actually stop a slow negative for a split second or not. Tonight just messing around when I put the pullup bar up for the wife I gave it a try and without a doubt held it. A good 2-3 sec (and I really didn't push my boundardies at all).

This has been a weird bulk/cut. I think I'm officially in the area with leverage and strength to weight ratio that I don't seem to get much stronger while bulking (the strength gains are offset by the weight gains). But this cut I've been fairly beast mode on some exercises. Getting closer to a rudimentary flat back tuck planche, had impeccable back lever form, strong doing can openers (which I'm going to do next bulk as my volume exercise).

• Like 2

currently cutting

don't panic!

So, its been a while since I updated measurements, el ex reminded me to do so.

Measurements (6/11 for waist/weight, 6/8 for everything else):

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 199.5 lb

Neck: 16.8"

Shoulders: 52.5"

Chest (flexed): 48.5"

Chest (unflexed): 45.5"

Waist (flexed): 32.3"

Waist (sucked in/unflexed): 29.1"

Hipbones: 35.5"

Upper Arm R (flexed): 15.5"

Upper Arm R (unflexed): 14.1"

Forearm R: 13.0"

Upper Arm L (flexed): 15.0"

Upper Arm L (unflexed): 13.8"

Forearm L: 12.8"

Glutes: 41.0"

Upper Thigh R: 24.9"

Mid Thigh R: 24.0"

Lower Thigh R: 17.5"

Calf R: 15.9"

Upper Thigh L: 24.6"

Mid Thigh L: 23.3"

Lower Thigh L: 16.9"

Calf L: 15.3"

Muscles are a bit small at the moment given the steep cut (my wrists are really small, always a good indicator if I'm going to measure in big or small). Once cals are raised chances are 1/4" will bounce back quick on all major muscle groups.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I have to say, I had no idea your neck came in at almost 17". I'm seriously mirin, Waldo.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"