Forums are back in action! ×

Boyfriend is taking too great care of me!

Hello all! This must be the hundreth time that I've joined a fitness site and so far every attempt at trying to live healthily has not ended so well with me. However I want this time to be the last and hopefully I'm going to start loving doing sports again.

So to tell you a bit about myself, I'm a 20-year-old IT-student living in Finland and like all nerds, I love to spend time at home with my video games, films, anime and what-have-you. I've already taken huge steps towards a healthier life this year which includes dropping my terrible alcohol habit... And that althogether has made me a much happier person! What I'm really trying to achieve now though is a regular exercising habit combined with a healthy diet.

I used to go to a gym regularly back when I was still in high school, but because of this one, pitiful excuse I have I haven't enjoyed exercising in a long while - and that is excessive sweating due to taking this particular medication over the past few years. Sounds like a stupid excuse but I really do get upset over sweating so much - just 5 minutes of hoovering (without even getting exhausted!) and my body's running down like a river.

And my biggest enemy... FOOD. Ironically I hated eating when I was younger and I'd rather had nutrition pumped into my system... But then I step into my 20s and my my, it's like I've missed on this great stuff my whole life! To be quite frank I've always had a strange relationship with nutrition... either I'm starving myself or then I'm eating like a little pig. Somedays I don't eat proper food at all but instead I stuff myself with chips, chocolate and ice cream.

Of course my boyfriend also likes to spoil me a lot and I can never say no to his treats! It's so much more tempting to order a pizza than cook for yourself... and that's one thing that I want to change! And I really do appreciate that my boyfriend sees me as the most beautiful creature on Earth (because to me HE's the most handsome creature on Earth!) and my small chubiness doesn't bother him at all, but to me it's a huge problem. I've become really insecure about my body and before I've never really minded being naked in front of someone, but now I can barely look at myself in the mirror!

Even though my ultimate goal is to live healthily my first step of course is to lose some weight - even a tiny bit would be nice at first! Just yesterday I tried on these jeans I bought last winter and I'm supposed to be able to wear tights underneath them (it can get freezing cold up here in the north). And just that I could do about a year ago. They were supposed to be my baggy jeans then but now I can't even get them on! Perhaps my first goal would be to fit into those jeans again, even if I couldn't properly sit in them :-)

I don't know when I started to live this unhealthily and I don't even dare to step on the scale... So instead I'm only going to follow the results by looking in the mirror. I've lost tens of kilos by following the Atkins diet in the past but now I'm going to forget about all diets and eat regular, balanced food.

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!  You have taken a great step in identifying your road blocks and I commend you for taking the first of many steps on your path to your goal.  I recommend finding someone who will keep you accountable for your exercise and your food intake.  I understand all too well the draw of food and other things that are bad for you.  I am happy to say, you can do this.  You have come across one of the greatest online communities for support without judgement.  Everyone has a different path they need to take to get healthy, but we are all bound by the common goal of wanting to get healthy.  We're here for you if you need us.  I have one additional piece of advise that may help you; talk with your boyfriend about limiting his treats to help you with this.  It sounds like he is understanding and wants to see you pleased, so a discussion at the beginning of this journey will be helpful.  Don't let it become a point of contention between you two, but something you can both build on.  Doing things together strengthens relationships.  

Again, welcome and have some fun!

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Thank you so much. That is the kind of kindness and support I haven't experienced on the Internet in a long while. I'm surely going to enjoy my stay here!

One of the biggest things in getting fit is support, and maybe you can convince your BF to get fit with you? Even if he is in decent shape, few people don't want to look better, and a journey together is much better and easier:). There is a lot of nutrition advice on this site,highly recommended you check it out. Most people recommend cutting back on grains and starchy food (rice, pasta, bread, potatoes), and eating lean protein and greens as much as possible. I highly recommend along with the grains either eliminating or cutting back sugar, one of the things I found is that when I stopped using sweeteners, even ones like Stevia, I stopped craving sweets like cookies and candy....

That, and exercise, and you will be on your way:)