Forums are back in action! ×

Oh my! What have I done?

(This is a WOOT! Honestly!)

Soooo, almost finishing my first month of eating Paleo (85% of the time), started running and slowly building that up - planning to attempt a 5k on Saturday - and doing the Body Weight Workout. Body weight workout is great but I wasn't really sure how to progress my strength training. So I started to have a google at work yesterday for PT, gyms etc. and came across a weights gym, e-mailed and asked to have a look about AND IT IS PERFECT! No weight machines, no Smith machines, it IS a NF Rebels' dream. Before I knew it, my induction is on Monday... Kind of chuffed that I've taken the plunge and just done it. It's quite a small gym too so you get a lot of 1:1 time with an instructor - but without the price tag! 

In other "Woot!" news, the past 3 weeks I have lost 13 inches from my body and I'm weighing myself for the first time since I started on Thursday morning - quite nervous about that part! Hopefully at the end of month one I'll have a decent inch loss under my belt (quite literally!) and a decent amount of lbs lost!

Well thanks reading! Any advice for this new gym would be awesome!

Cheers,

Sal

jealous much? fyi there's more to beginner lifting than 5x5, Paul Carter had good results with his 13yr old daughter with this:

For the first 5-6 weeks or so this is what I had her do on a weekly basis -

Monday - Pressing and Rows

Incline Press - 8-12 sets of 5-8 Cable Rows - 5-6 sets of 10

Tuesday - back Work

Chins - ladders 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3, etc until I was done with rack pulls. Hypers - 4-5 sets of 10

Wednesday - Misc.

Ab Wheel - 5 sets of max reps Upright Rows - 5 sets of 10-20

Thursday - squats

Squats - 6-8 sets of 5’s or 3’s Lunges - 2-3 sets of 15-20

friday - off

saturday - back Work

Cable Rows - 6 sets of 10 Ab Wheel - 4-5 sets of max reps Arm Work - 3-4 sets

sunday - Misc.

Chins - more ladders More Abs

When the workouts started, she was 98 pounds, and I can tell you what she couldn’t do.

• She couldn’t incline the standard bar for a single rep.• She couldn’t squat the standard bar for more than 3 reps • She couldn’t do a single chin

At the end of the 6 weeks she was incline pressing the bar for 5, squatting 65 for 5, and doing lots of chins all on her own. She had also gained 7 pounds without changing her diet. (it's mentioned later that her first ever deadlift was 2 x 2 with 135lbs)