Forums are back in action! ×

my success story

I'd been reading steve's blog for a while last year and made a comment on the boards one day back in November about lack of motivation or something like that, and steve emailed me to offer support. At the time, I just wasnt in the right head space but clearly knew I wanted to be. I was feeling middle aged, round and blobby and lazy.

5 months on and the first nerd fitness challenge. It couldnt have come at a better time. my mind was ready for change, my body was a bit slower... I mean sheesh, 5 months (well much longer actually) before I decided to get off my butt and do something rather than sit around and moan about how rolypoly I was getting. So here we are after 2 challenges, and I can happily report that I have lost around 4kgs, I now exercise full on twice a week at a boot camp style workout (no easy gym workout for me... we're talking all weather at 6am), I'm eating better and my clothes feel more comfortable on me. Today I went to the hairdresser (hadnt been for about 2 and a half months) and when she took the cape off after finishing my cut, she said, wow, you've lost weight! Sometimes it takes someone who hasnt seen you in a while to really notice the difference.

So what changed, how did I find my motivation. I really think that reading various blogs and getting all the info (diet/exercise) together helped me. nerd fitness and marks daily apple were my main inspirations. The first challenge on NF came at the perfect time. Once I decided I was going to do it, bang... there was no stopping me (hmmm, well apart from the evil head cold I got after my first workout). I've found an exercise regime that works for me, I need to do mine in the morning cause I'm a lazy ass that just wont do it after work. I also think I need to do my exercise with a group of people, there is a level of support there and it makes it kind of fun. The challenge and writing on the message boards about what I was doing and/or eating was also incredibly helpful for me. I have also changed some of my eating habits, I'm way more aware of what is going into my mouth, the amount of carbohydrate I eat has dropped quite dramatically, and especially sugars. Ultimately though, the changes I have made havent been huge and I feel they are sustainable. For instance, I knew that giving up wine would help on the weight loss, but that would have been completely unsustainable for me. I enjoy a wine or 2. The wine stayed :D I lost weight, or more specifically, fat! (I still have more to go though, probably another 2kg would be about right for me)

Ultimately, I know it doesnt sound like a big deal to someone who wants to lose a lot of weight, but it is taking the first steps that are the hardest, doesnt matter if you have 50kg to lose or 5kg. The reward aside from the weight loss, is a mental one... knowing you actually did it!

thanks Loyal! so true.

I finally have some pics of the changes to submit. Not a huge diff for anyone to get overexcited about, but to me its pretty cool.

the before pic was in August 2009 when I was on holiday in Bangkok, and the after shot was taken in noosa 2 weeks ago (may 2010)