Forums are back in action! ×

N00b with a lot to tackle

Hello fellow nerdlets! Not sure where to begin, so stats (natch): 5'9 150-160, almost 27 years old. I live in South Florida, and April will be one year since arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder (bursitis, frozen shoulder). Used to be really athletic in high school (softball, soccer, horseback riding), but then adulthood hit me upside the head and I sit all day at a stressful job and eat crappy food because it's convenient and because it makes me feel better. 

Goals:

• Get rid of the crap food and replace it with wholesome real food
  • Banish soda forever
  • Establish good habits: Actually cooking the food I buy and bringing to work to eat; establishing and sticking with a work out schedule
  • Learning to control my emotions so that I don't eat to feel better. 

I'm excited to find this group, because I don't see anyone discounting people's goals or concerns. There are things about me I dislike, but when I tell my friends they brush it off, saying things like, "oh please, you have nothing to worry about," or "what are you talking about? Your thighs are fine." While they think they are being nice (and may even genuinely feel that way), I know what I see in the mirror, and I hate that no one takes my concerns seriously. I look forward to being around people who will encourage me and give me tough talk when I need it. So stoked to start the next challenge! 

• Like 2

Welcome, these sound like excellent goals!

And you know, there is one universal solution for anyone unhappy with their thighs: squat!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Welcome.

How long did it take you to recover from your bursitis surgery? And did the surgery successfully help your shoulder?

It most certainly did help me with my shoulder, though diligence in stretching during recovery and physical therapy was key. I'm left-handed, so I lost a lot of flexibility and strength, which sucks. I still have twinges of pain sometimes, but that's more from needing to stay on top of my stretching. I didn't feel like I was mostly recovered for about 6 months. I was brushing my hair within a week & could walk my big dogs within 3, but the finer things (throwing, reaching behind & under to scratch my shoulder blade) took longer to stretch back out.

Revolter: squats are going to be my new best friend! I just have to learn to do them so my back doesn't hurt. I have to learn that on a lot of exercises, actually. I feel like my lower back has always done the work, which is why my abs suck. Also, where do we post our before pictures? Also also, I need to figure out my main quest for the challenge that starts today! I was thinking of working on pull ups, but not sure if I should start with something else.

• Like 1

Revolter: squats are going to be my new best friend! I just have to learn to do them so my back doesn't hurt. I have to learn that on a lot of exercises, actually. I feel like my lower back has always done the work, which is why my abs suck. Also, where do we post our before pictures? Also also, I need to figure out my main quest for the challenge that starts today! I was thinking of working on pull ups, but not sure if I should start with something else.

Squats are definitely something you want to work your form with before you start adding weight. The "form check" forum is useful for that, as are resources such as http://www.mobilitywod.com (Kelly Starrett is a great resource for form/mobility-related issues).

I feel like "before" pictures would go in your challenge thread or your daily battle log, whichever you opt to use.

Work on whatever you want to improve!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.