Forums are back in action! ×

Next stop: WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

Gotta brag on my oldest daughter here.

She's in 5th grade.  This year, everyone in her grade was required to enter the science fair.  She wasn't too enthusiastic about it, but she did an experiment anyway.  She had wanted to work with freezing points of different liquids (milk, water, eggnog, etc), but her uncle (the one with the doctorate in genetics) suggested working with just rubbing alcohol and water. The final experiment involved varying concentrations of the two liquids, seeing which ones froze fastest.

Fast-forward through experimenting, data-gathering, chart-making, and several trips to Kinko's, to the school science fair.

She took first place.

This qualified her for the District-wide science fair, which was held this past weekend.

She took first place.  Again.

She moves on to the Academy of Sciences fair in the spring, competing against all the schools in the area: public, private, and charter.

My daughter has pretty severe ADHD, OCD and anxiety disorders.  It can be a struggle to get her to try new things and stay focused on tasks.  Medication helps, but not with everything. Her doing so well in the science fairs is a huge freaking deal. 

Next Stop: WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

• Like 4

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

That is amazing news! Congrats! You and your daughter are very inspirational indeed!

Also, when you proceed with your world domination plans, you can count me in! That is, if I can have my own private island and mansion at the end of it, right??? :-p

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Yes, I am very proud of her.  Though she's a little embarassed by the fuss, frankly.  I make some crack about world domination, and she gives me the ol' fish-eye.  We may do the lab coat and goggles thing later. 

And IronGlider: sure, you can have the mansion and private island! It might be in the Aleutians, but hey...

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

This is awesome!  And it's cool that she's modest about it.  That sounds like a great experiment, I don't remember kids doing stuff that interesting when I was in school.  Makes me wonder what my kids will do when they get to that age.  Congrats man.

She likes learning, but she likes to approach it on her own terms.  She tends to remember stuff she's seen on TV more than she learns in a classroom, so we make sure she gets a steady diet of science and history programs.  Can't wait for the latest iteration of COSMOS...

Gotta brag on my oldest daughter here.

She's in 5th grade.  This year, everyone in her grade was required to enter the science fair.  She wasn't too enthusiastic about it, but she did an experiment anyway.  She had wanted to work with freezing points of different liquids (milk, water, eggnog, etc), but her uncle (the one with the doctorate in genetics) suggested working with just rubbing alcohol and water. The final experiment involved varying concentrations of the two liquids, seeing which ones froze fastest.

Fast-forward through experimenting, data-gathering, chart-making, and several trips to Kinko's, to the school science fair.

She took first place.

This qualified her for the District-wide science fair, which was held this past weekend.

She took first place.  Again.

She moves on to the Academy of Sciences fair in the spring, competing against all the schools in the area: public, private, and charter.

My daughter has pretty severe ADHD, OCD and anxiety disorders.  It can be a struggle to get her to try new things and stay focused on tasks.  Medication helps, but not with everything. Her doing so well in the science fairs is a huge freaking deal. 

Next Stop: WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As a mol.biologist and science fair judge myself I am always so very happy to see kids get into science!

As for the ADHD, yeah, me too, and like, 70% of the lab.  The hyper-focus bits work wonders when you have to catalog and keep track of mountains of data.  Not to mention the pipetting!

HUZZAH!

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1