Forums are back in action! ×

Gym Creepers

Does/has anyone experienced problems with this? Just before I went to the gym for the fist time yesterday, my mom was telling me to be on my guard against guys who may try to hit on me in the free wieghts area. Nobody paid any attention to me, as I expected, but she did tell me something that made her concern not completely unfounded.

Apparently, on one of her gym visits, there was this guy that wouldn't stop bothering her for a date. About a day later, she got a scathing text message from that same guy. Turns out he was a cop, and ran her license plate number, which is how he got her phone number to send the text.

Another incident involved this huge meathead type walking up behind her and proceding to lift her up and down by the waist, essentially using her as a human shaped weight, and commenting on how light she was. Despite kicking around and demanding to put down, Mr. Meathead didn't do so until one of the gym trainers approached and told him to put her down.

Anyone here dealt with assholes like this? Any advice for how to deal with them?

that's uncommon- but deal with such things immediately and promptly.

As for someone getting a text without giving out a number- I would have the guys name and start calling up local stations and filing a complaint.  totally inappropriate.

same for the touching/picking up of peoples- not appropriate. His balls would have been kicked. 

That sucks. :(

• Like 3

Holy rusted metal batman!!

It's horrible hearing things like that and I suppose I wouldn't see or hear much being a guy all I can do is hope it's not too common with those douches giving us a bad name.

For meathead it is one of the rare occasions when I could actually recommend a swift kick in the jewels on a fellow man.

Mister cop however is a super creep and being totes illegal that shits scary.

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

As above really...complain about the cop, especially if you can get his collar number (not sure how it works out your way but stuff like that is taken really seriously in the UK).

Meathead?  Kick in the happy sacks and a threat of reporting him if he approaches again?

• Like 1

The cop must have been in regular gym wear, since my mom didn't know he was a cop until the text was sent, so unfortunately, there wasn't anything to be done about it. Plus, all of this happened several years ago. Like I-Jo said this stuff isn't common, and I don't expect it to be an issue at my gym, since all the guys there were wrapped up in their own training, but it is a little unsettling that there are people who will act this way with little to no provocation.

Also, about the cop: for those of us who live in the US, there is a possibilty that reporting unwanted advances from an officer might make the situation worse not better, depending on the area. In some areas, this would result in the cop getting his due comeuppance. In other areas, nice or otherwise, where the cops function more like gangs, this could result in the reporter's life turning in to a living hell. 

• Like 1

Wow.  I mean, I'll be the first to admit I've flirted a bit in the gym, but damn.  I've never done anything like that!

The cop is a touchy case, as has been said.  As for the meathead, yea, if he picks you up, kick/punch/scream/bite your way out, and make as big a scene as possible.  Hopefully you can embarrass the guy into being smarter.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yikes. The worst I've ever gotten in the gym is unwanted and unsolicited "advice" from men. 

If your mom doesn't feel comfortable taking it further with official authorities, maybe she could ask to speak to gym management. It's great that the trainer stepped in, but what if he hadn't been around? You need to know your gym is serious about dealing with creepers like that.

Ooooh, unwanted touching should result in a swift, violent response.  There's NO excuse for that stuff.

I've had a woman approach me and poke me in the shoulder while I was lifting.  Yes, I'm a guy and yes she was flirting.  No, I didn't get violent.  Helped that I was 600 miles from home visiting a gym at the time as well.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

There was a chik at the gym on Saturday who "knew" I was making flirty faces at her, and was kinda diggin it, too. She even responded in kind. I was sorta surprised that I'd even have a shot at her?

Anyway, she didn't notice that she was just working out between me & D'Wife and inadvertently picked up a signal between she & I

I AM CRYING WITH LAUGHTER

• Like 2

Today, I want to be better than I was yesterday... so that I'm ready for tomorrow.

There was a chik at the gym on Saturday who "knew" I was making flirty faces at her, and was kinda diggin it, too. She even responded in kind. I was sorta surprised that I'd even have a shot at her?

Anyway, she didn't notice that she was just working out between me & D'Wife and inadvertently picked up a signal between she & I

Bahahaha! :D That is priceless!

@ StillWaters - Can't say I've ever had anyone approach me in the gym at all. Not even to offer up "advice". I'm sorry your mum had a bad experience, but thankfully it's not the norm.

There are some utter crackpots out there though, and by the law of averages, some of them are going to go to the gym.

I'd say you're still more likely to get approached by a nutter in a pub or cafe. I wouldn't worry about the gym.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

The worst I've experienced is mild creepiness, the sort of thing that warrants an eyeroll but not much beyond that. My "favorite" are the guys who position themselves in your light of sight to the mirror so you can see them and be "impressed" by their lifting. Thankfully these are few and far between at my gym, and the guys who are actually lifting impressive amounts of weight are way too focused on their own workout to give a hoot what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Main Quest: Run 8 miles

Longest run so far: 6.22 @ 11:27

77%
77%

6 Week Challenge (Level 2) Kellbot's Going the Distance

Previous Challenge (Level 1) Aerial silks training and questing for 10 pull ups

Do you even lift? How lifting weights taught me to love my body

Man, the one good part of being a new lifter still (just over 3 months) and a dude - no creepers.

The gym bunnies just looking for a fit fella look right over me.  The dudes ignore me.  I get my workout on and leave.  The end.

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue