Forums are back in action! ×

Never going to pay a gym membership again!

So this week I finally fulfilled a dream of mine for the past couple of years.  I have the beginnings of a decent home gym!

To make a long story short, I first wanted to build an awesome home gym because I wanted to start Oly lifting for fun.  Well recently I shifted my focus to becoming a thrower in the highland games.  Part of that means lifting cause I need to get some serious strength to chuck telephone poles among other things...

I happened to be visiting my girlfriends family last night up near Hickory, NC and was perusing Craigslist for weights since I was in a bigger area than the sticks where I am living.  Found a set that hadn't been posted but a few hours ago.  Called the guy and told him I'd come get them.  The pics looked good and the set turned out to be a great find.  510# worth of plates, an oly bar, a weight tree and collars all for $325.  Made for an interesting drive home; my sedan loaded down with weights all around the inside to try and balance the load out.

But now I have a gym to call my own.  No longer will I have to pay for a gym membership!

IMG_20140402_232320_zps6f90470e.jpg

IMG_20140403_194343_zps7f1c2a8c.jpg

• Like 7

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

I did my first Highland Games last year and it was a blast!  Where are you located?

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Welcome to the League of Garage Gyms!  I've had mine for almost two years and it's way better than any GloboGym.

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Congrats sir! Can't wait to see how you do with the winter cold, I have the hardest time getting into my garage because of it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Congratulations and may you never look back.

The longer I live the more I despise being in gyms. I don't know why, something about the atmosphere is extremely unappealing to me.

I only feel this way about globo gyms.  Weightlifting, powerlifting, crossfit, gymnastics, boxing, whatever else your discipline of choice is - the atmosphere at those places is unbeatable.  I love my home gym, but I would workout at a local weightlifting club every time if I could.

Congrats sir! Can't wait to see how you do with the winter cold, I have the hardest time getting into my garage because of it.

Basement ftw.

If I ever have a house built, the basement will have higher ceilings for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It gets down to -30 C in my garage.  I admittedly use workout gloves for the warm up sets or where grip strength is irrelevant since the barbell gets wicked cold.  After warm-up though the cold is no issue.  However, KiltedCowboy, if you need winter inspiration, I will leave you with this guy:

df4b23c6b65737b227c85230a1506806.jpg

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]