Forums are back in action! ×

Lessons learned

I've been at this fitness/nutrition thing for about 3-4 years, but I wouldn't honestly say I got it seriously dialed in until 6-9 months ago. There was a lot of mistakes made, blocks of time where I didn't even try, and then more mistakes. In that time though, I've learned a ton. About what my goals are, how my body responds to different diets, and how to get what I want out of the gym.  I'd love to hear what other people have learned in their time trying to improve themselves.

For me, there's quite a few things, but two really stand out.

1) Progress is slower than you want it to be....and that's ok.

This has been a tough one for me to learn. When I first started lifting, the newbie gains are great, but they don't last. My squat is so overall weak that I'm a little embarrassed, so there's been times where I pushed waaaaay beyond my limits and hurt myself. I've had a system in place for the past 6 months that is a perfect amount of progression for me, but the progression is on a very small scale. I've really had to learn to be humble and let my ego go. Progress is progress, and getting better slowly is better than not getting better at all.

2) Consistency is more important than anything else

This is a big one I know I read everywhere, and I'm sure you did too. But being stubborn, I had to learn it myself. I used to like to jump around and change things up a lot.  That will get you nowhere fast. Keep improving on yourself from last week, keep going to the gym, keeping eating good food.  Those are the important things, not the "best" exercise, not a "superfood", or the end-all-be-all diet. Be consistent.

On a vain note, I also learned if your goals are well-defined abs and the deltoid 'V', then it's ok to do some isolation work. The Big 5 are fantastic and by far the most important, but don't be afraid of some lateral raises at higher reps if you really want a nice deltoid cut. 

What have you learned?

• Like 2

1) There is no such thing as a picture on the Internet that you will look like when you get down to a certain bf%/weight.  This is frustrating, because it's difficult to know where exactly your personal 'I am on track' marks are, but it's also good because it means you should never have to try to look like a picture you found on the Internet.

2) Watching what you eat never has to mean eating food you don't enjoy, unless you choose to make it so.

3) People say things.  Many things they say will be helpful.  More than you think will come from a place of concern or love or desire to help.  However, some will be misguided or misspoken or just plain old unhelpful, and it's OK not to listen to those things.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

1) Measure your progress with means that are not weight/BMI related. Photos, measurements, bodyfat%, all three in a best case scenario, will help you track progress (and recognize it) so much better and easier and it'll impact and further your success immensely.

2) Learn what works for you. This may be what works for others, but it also may be something that's different or a mixture of several things. If you like aspects of several ways, combine them and make it your own. If you like Paleo, but also like dairy then don't let anyone tell you that what you do is wrong. If you have found something that works for you, that is what's important, stick with it and impress others with your results.

3) Don't be afraid to experiment. Waldo wrote a little something on experimenting and I can only agree. To achieve 2), 3) is a necessity.

4) Have fun/enjoy the ride or at least try your best to do so! Nothing is worse than being miserable for long periods of time. This is partially what 2) is about - find something you can do not only on the basis that you have success with it, but also on the basis that you get some kind of enjoyment from it, be it lifting heavier and heavier, running faster and faster or being more and more awesome at X - there's little that motivates more than actually enjoying what you are doing. Same goes for food - don't deprive yourself just because you believe that's how it's supposed to be, almost every food can be prepared to taste delicious and for pretty much every diet you will be able to find foods that you enjoy, see 3)!

• Like 4

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Great thread.  Great posts.  Here's some things I've learned, kind of mirrors what you guys have already said:

1) Consistency and patience in all things.  You can accomplish great things, but it will take time.  The loftier your goals, the more committment your efforts will require.

2) Everything is easier with support.  With the support of friends, loved ones, nerdy forum members, you have more motivation and accountability.  You don't have to battle the dragons alone. 

3) Food is food, and food trumps supplements and other things that are not food.

4) Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.  If you believe in yourself, you can accomplish a lot more.  If you don't believe in yourself, you have to become your own motivational speaker.  Hell, lie to yourself if you have to.  Tell yourself how awesome and better than everyone else you are every day.  Convince yourself of your own greatness.  Go overboard and become a full blown egotistical butthole.  Just believe in yourself, for real.

• Like 4

What I have found so far...

1.  As already stated.... Consistency rules the day. 

2.  A general goal doesn't have a single, well defined path to success. 

For general goals, like lose weight or get stronger, find your own way to be consistent.  There are certain principles that need to be followed, but there is not "one magic program" that will lead you to success and you don't have to follow a single program/diet to the T in order to have success.  Follow basic principles and tweak to find what works for you. 

3.  In regards to food, what you "don't like" is all in your head.

Unless you have a physical adverse reaction (allergy), the reason you don't like a particular food is in your head.  With time and consistency, you can re-train your brain to get passed those mental blocks. 

• Like 1

"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A"

Challenge: #1

3. In regards to food, what you "don't like" is all in your head.

Unless you have a physical adverse reaction (allergy), the reason you don't like a particular food is in your head. With time and consistency, you can re-train your brain to get passed those mental blocks.

Everything you just said is spot on, but this^^^ is my favourite bit. I figured this one out several years back and I've been working on it ever since. I deliberately eat food that i "think" i don't like (I actually posted about it in the "weird stuff you do" thread) until I convince myself that I do like it.

It's definitely all in your head. :D

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I deliberately eat food that i "think" i don't like (I actually posted about it in the "weird stuff you do" thread) until I convince myself that I do like it.

Seasoning, flavouring and way of preparation also have a huge influence on whether we actually end up liking a certain food or not. There's easy ways like covering everything in cheese and making a gratin out of it or drowning everything in butter, but using the right spices, a proper amount of salt and pepper or simply infusing it in oil and then grilling it can also amount to vastly different food experiences. Two quick examples here:

Eggplants taste rather bland and bitter on their own. I never ate them because I didn't trust the way they looked and I never came into a situation where I could just "try" them, like at a birthday or an event. That was until a few years ago when a vegetarian friend and I made pizza together and she threw slices of eggplant on her part which led to my trying it out and...let's say I didn't dislike it as much as I thought. Fast forward to today, slicing an eggplant, then taking an olive oil+diced garlic mix and brushing the veggie with it, then salting and peppering it and putting it on a grill for 2 minutes per side makes for a criminally delicious side dish that can accompany almost any meat or stand alone with some bread.

Broccoli I never liked, but in the process of becoming healthier, I forced myself to eat it every now and then...very hesitantly though. I just steamed it until it was soft enough, seasoned it and ate it, thinking of another food that I'd rather eat. Next stop in the present, ater steaming it, have cumin seeds and mustard seeds in a pan, toast them until the aroma can be smelled and they get a little color, then add butter, then add the broccoli, add salt and pepper, fry for 2-3 minutes, serve...and suddenly the brocc has become the most tasty part of the meal. :o

• Like 2

Absolutely, and that is awesome that you seek out stuff and challenge yourself that way. 

I read something one time about food and learning to like or deal with something you don't like.  It takes about 2 weeks to retrain your brain to a taste you don't like.  So I tested that theory with coffee while I was trying to lose weight.  My coffee was more candy, having about 20% of the cup being sugar and another 20% being cream or half and half.  Was really adding a lot of calories, but that was the only way I could tolerate it when I started drinking it.  Stopped all of that immediately.  Sucked at first.  Super bitter hot water was all I could taste, but I powered through it.  After about a week, I noticed that it was taking less willpower to drink it.  Then at about 2 and a half weeks, I decided to try my old coffee one day.  BLEH.  way way too sweet.  I literally dumped it out.  Transformation: Complete. 

I recently did the same thing with tomatoes.  Not to the point where I will just eat a tomato on it's own, but I willingly add them to things now.

I also have a standing bet with my wife, who doesn't eat very many veggies.  If she tries them for 3 weeks, I will do mushrooms. (which I currently can't stand).

• Like 2

after steaming it, have cumin seeds and mustard seeds in a pan, toast them until the aroma can be smelled and they get a little color, then add butter, then add the broccoli, add salt and pepper, fry for 2-3 minutes, serve...

Ohmygod! I may have to go try this right now it sounds so good!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

These are all specific to me. You might be different.

1. Do your cardio or you get fat. Doesn't have to be jogging but do your conditioning and do it regularly.
2. Low volume, high frequency on the strength training.

3. Fast-centric diets are generally better than calorie-centric diets for weight loss, although conditioning frequency/volume seem to do more for my appearance than any kind of dietary change. For me, they are an absolute necessity for improvements in body composition.

4. Hit your rep goal, add weight and repeat to get strong. Doesn't matter what sets or reps you break it up into.

I think I have learned a few more things but my head hurts from studying and I should get off the computer. I'll update this sometime.

• Like 1

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

Seconded, that broccoli sounds amazing.

Disil, on an unrelated note, is your avatar Ifrit?  Looks kinda like Ifrit.  I may have been playing too much FFX though, so my judgement is questionable.

It is indeed. That was my first forum avatar I ever used, back in like 2003 and I picked it for this forum here because the kb restrictions were so low that I knew that old avatar would fulfill them...and it kinda fits the theme too, this being nerd fitness and all. ;)

• Like 1

Diet Lessons:

There is no one size fits all. People have had success with all kinds of diets. Paleo, carb backloading, ketosis diet, and so on, all kinds of very different approaches.  Some diets seem to work for some people. You need to try things out for yourself and pay attention to how your body respond and how you feel. People get very attached and emotional about diets. Talking to people about diets is like talking about religion, so I tread lightly. My lesson learned a diet is an experiment for improved health, if you are not feeling good with it, learn what you can and adjust your plan. Also allow people their opinions and experiences with their own diet, be respectful but know thyself (and change the topic if you need to). 

Fitness Lessons:

I am stronger than I thought.

I can keep improving.

Lifting weights takes a lot more courage than I gave anyone credit for in my younger years.

I appreciate a "well-maintained" body now more than ever! :) 

All of your efforts in diet and fitness should come from a sense of love and acceptance of your body and life. It is an expression of self-love, self-respect and a love of life. 

• Like 5

All of your efforts in diet and fitness should come from a sense of love and acceptance of your body and life. It is an expression of self-love, self-respect and a love of life.

I'm pinning that to my fridge!

Another one that I thought of that I always tell people just starting to lift weights.  This is more true for guys though.

The smallest weight in the weight room (the 2.5 lb plate) is the hardest to move.

After the look of confusion, I explain.  No other weight in here provides the biggest hit to your ego.  The 2.5 pound plates are a beacon that whatever weight was there, was just barely not enough.  Especially when you are starting a linear progression program from just the bar.  While 50 lb is heavier than 45, the tiny 2.5 lb plates by themselves on the end of the bar looks odd.  It doesn't end once you get past the beginning and you are adding significant weight on the bar.  Do something where you have 3 or 4 plates on each side.... then throw the 2.5s on the end. 

As it is, when I need the 2.5 plates, I usually have to go digging because nobody uses them.  They end up behind or mixed in with a stack of 5s or 10s.  And yes, the people at my gym are messy.  Not everyone stacks weights according to their size.  Drives me nuts.

• Like 1

Okay, now that I'm done with finals I can go ahead and explain in some better detail what it is that I've learned.

1. For me at least, weight loss is basically 100% hormonal.

I've noticed in the past that certain diet protocols work for me better than others: intermittent fasting and strict keto worked great while other things including straight calorie restriction have failed, even if the calorie restriction has been severe.

Still, IF and keto worked for me. I also noticed that regardless of what I'm eating, doing a lot of cardio seems to result in weight loss, regardless of what that cardio is. High volume weight lifting, running, bodyweight intervals all seem to cause it. Caffeine seems to contribute a nontrivial amount to weight loss as well.

What these have in common is hormonal:

IF: at the end of your fast your metabolism is under glucagon influence
Keto: the longer you keto, the more your metabolism is under glucagon influence
​Cardio: causes adrenaline release
Caffeine: causes adrenaline release

Adrenaline and glucagon all have it in common that they oppose the action of insulin and cause release of fatty acids. Therefore to lose weight, it seems to make sense to have as much of those in your system as possible on average in addition to your deficit. How you make it protein sparing is your own call, although I understand metabolically that keto past 2 weeks without cheats/breaks of any kind is protein sparing by default.

2. For me, strength gain is all about recovery.

In my experimentation, it's best to work out as INFREQUENTLY as possible to still make gains for maximum recovery per workout. It's also best to get as LITTLE volume as possible to move forward, for the same reason: maximal food/sleep per muscle damage should guarantee good repair as much as such a thing can be guaranteed.

I've now tried it several times:

Initial weight lifting experiment was very low volume, got stronk fast.
Switched to high volume, got lean and weak.
Switched back to low volume, got stronker than ever.
Switched back to high volume early this year, got super weak but lost weight.
Switched back to low volume and regained a huge portion of strength before injuring myself.

Pattern is bulletproof in my eyes: for me low volume is best.

3. For me, progression is more important than anything else and has to be done a certain way.

Lift a weight for several workouts until significantly more reps achieved, add reps, repeat.

Once I realized this was the formula, I don't even see the point in multi-set lifting. I just do it all in one progression set - start with 10RM, try to build it into 15 reps with that weight, add 10-20 pounds, repeat.

What would be the point of extra volume? I don't know, every time I add it I get weaker so I leave it out.

4. For me, bodyweight circuits are the best cardio.

If I jog, all I am good at is jogging and my joints get worn out. If I do these circuits I get explosive, limber, enduring and agile. I feel light in my own body.

It's also been my experience that this can easily coexist with weight lifting because a different subset of muscle fibers are recruited to lift an external object than to move yourself. A pushup and a bench press are not the same.

Because of this, I can trash myself with cardio without interfering with anything - which is good, my fat carcass needs some cardio.

• Like 3

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

1-Don't give a sh*t about what people say. Lifting weights won't make women bulky, eating potatoes won't make you fat(what kind of logic is that?), deadlifts won't screw your back(with correct form.) etc.

2-Track your macros.

3-You might have had a sh*tty day that you skipped the gym and ate tons, or a sh*tty week or even a month. That's okey, you always have to remember that it is in the past, you should move on and do your best.

• Like 2

Cat

Race: Wizard | Class: 

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

April 13th - May 25th

Challenge

16%
16%

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62944-cats-getting-ready/

PvP

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62504-weightloss-pvp-10-lbs-10-weeks-march-30-june-8/

10%
10%

Life lesson I still haven't learned [maybe can't?]:

You have a destination, and 2 paths to get there. Path A is steep, rocky, treacherous, and downright f'ing scary -- you have a fair chance at severe injury if not death if you go this way. Path B is relatively flat, well-maintained, and seems well-traveled and safe. Which do you choose?

If you're like me, you choose B....and 3/4 of the way down Path B, you figure out that Path B goes nowhere near your destination.

I've consistently taken the easier route in life, the path of least resistance, and have little to show for it. Clearly, I cannot learn my life lesson, but maybe the rest of you can benefit by my 'object lesson'.

• Like 3

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Life lesson I still haven't learned [maybe can't?]:

You have a destination, and 2 paths to get there. Path A is steep, rocky, treacherous, and downright f'ing scary -- you have a fair chance at severe injury if not death if you go this way. Path B is relatively flat, well-maintained, and seems well-traveled and safe. Which do you choose?

If you're like me, you choose B....and 3/4 of the way down Path B, you figure out that Path B goes nowhere near your destination.

I've consistently taken the easier route in life, the path of least resistance, and have little to show for it. Clearly, I cannot learn my life lesson, but maybe the rest of you can benefit by my 'object lesson'.

I don't know if I totally believe you "Hong WeiLoh" from your comments on NF you are not very "sheep" like. :)

Everyone is always creating their path, it some points you get more courage and take it up a level, other times you need a level ground for stability.  You learn how to appreciate the journey because that's the best part!

Besides it is never too late to try something f'ing scary! Never too late to learn and live the lesson!